|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> one month positions in state parks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you know of any state parks that only require one month stays to workcamp?

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are quite a few in the Pacific NW that allow or even require a one month "tour of duty". I'm sure it is that way all over the states as I can recall doing a one month tour in a SP in FL several years ago.

Dennis Osha

Louba

Delaware, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've applied for one in an Ohio state park. They wanted either a 30 or 60 day commitment.

2011 Bighorn 3385RL
2005 Chev 2500HD LS 4x4 D/A
Curt 20K

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregon State Parks do.
In fact my first experience will be with them this summer.
I think you will find that most paid positions ask for a summer commitment. Whereas volunteer positions are for one month, maybe longer if you are interested.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

luvglass

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although you will rarely see a park advertise for it, many will accept a one month stay if asked. We always tell the campground know what we are willing to do and a number of them have accepted.
Good luck,

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

lat471

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Pennsylvania does.

07 Cameo F35FD3
The Black Cloud

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ga State Parks

horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2003 Honda Element
Blue Ox tow

RoadXYZ

OR-WA-ID-CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We received a call in late December from the volunteer coordinator at an Oregon State Park who had seen our Oregon state volunteer application and wondered if we would be interested in a one-month tour ... we went and enjoyed our first experience volunteering at an Oregon State Park.

In our application we had stated that we would be taking Dec 2011 & Jan 2012 as "free" time as we had no committments as a volunteer anywhere. And also had added that we were not available for any committments until after January 2013.

We keep a small notebook divided by dates of/schedule of our volunteer committments, each place's contact person, their address, phone numbers and email addresses. This gives me a handy source if something comes up and we need to cancel.

We keep a portable file box for all other paperwork associated with each place we are committed to volunteer. This has come in especially valuable when we have gotten calls from their contact people who have had a question about either the application or that contact person has gone elsewhere and a new contact person is verifying information.

Also gives us the opportunity to verify that the email we are receiving is indeed coming from some place we have sent an application.

Some places receive a cancellation call from a volunteer due to "Life" changes or events and find themselves without a volunter. Offtimes they like to have someone call and ask if they need any volunteers. Application paperwork still needs to be done.

Along with application we have added a 1-page document listing places, dates we were there, addresses, contact people, phone numbers and email addresses of places where we have either volunteered or worked in the past one or two years. Sometimes we have been asked for personal references, and these people are those who have known us for 5 years or more. One organization wanted a list of all places we had been for 3 months or more in the past 7 years on a separate page.

Oh, and remember when they ask for your talents or work you can do that if there is something like plumbing that you can do, but do not wish to do any more, then do not check that box nor should you tell them you can do minor plumbing. Some places in the past 7 years have not heard my DH say the word "minor". Just saying this as a fore-warning.

A niece of mine's motto was "ask them, all they can say is No and sometimes they say Yes". Found this works a great deal of the time.

Good Luck ... and apologize for this being so long, just do not know how to share with a minimum of words ...

* This post was edited 02/21/12 12:47pm by RoadXYZ *

Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma, Grandpa, & Petunia, 9 yr old Chi
2008 Suburban / Alpenlite Travel Trailer

dgo1369

Georgetown, TX, US

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Oregon State Parks do.
In fact my first experience will be with them this summer.
I think you will find that most paid positions ask for a summer commitment. Whereas volunteer positions are for one month, maybe longer if you are interested.

It's interesting to me that you are going to do it, good on ya! I hosted at several of the parks on the central and south coast over a three years period and loved it. However, for some reason, we didn't meet many volunteers who actually lived in Oregon. Never figured that out but kinda thought that people who live in a particular area don't always appreciate what they have. To a flat land Texan like me, volunteering in Oregon was the most fun I've had since I retired 13 years ago.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Virginia does. I camphost the month of August at Natural Tunnel SP, about 50 miles from the Cumberland Gap area of KY.

There are several that camphost for 2 months at a time, but we only do a month, currently.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Workamping Forum

> one month positions in state parks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Workamping Forum

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS