|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> (UPDATE) a question about a 2006 27 foot JAYCO

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver Corvette,

I am impressed. You came across in the beginning with your mind made up looking for some reassurance that what you were doing was the thing to do. After many comments from others you really are open minded and to that end you will get a far better gen program that is probably as reliable or more so than the original diesel gen, quieter, more portable and now will even have remote start right from inside the TT. It is heartening when a forum thread works this well for all of us.

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmtandem wrote:

Silver Corvette,

I am impressed. You came across in the beginning with your mind made up looking for some reassurance that what you were doing was the thing to do. After many comments from others you really are open minded and to that end you will get a far better gen program that is probably as reliable or more so than the original diesel gen, quieter, more portable and now will even have remote start right from inside the TT. It is heartening when a forum thread works this well for all of us.

I was dead set on getting a diesel generator because I wanted to be able to run my truck and GEN on the same fuel. A big part of the problem was that I had no idea how loud 78 DB was, I could put up with a little extra notice because I planned on building some kind of an enclosure to reduce noise, but THIS VIDEO that newk posted the link to made my mind up. Honda's 72 DB generator was way too loud and the diesel one I planned on getting was 6 DB louder. When you add in other factors such as servicing locations, availability of wireless remote start the need to carry a few extra 5 gallon gasoline cans isn’t much of an inconvenience.

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Another option would be a built in Onan RV generator. These are what most motorhomes use.
That was my first thought but the diesel units they put in motorhomes cost more than double what a Yahama will cost.

If I am wrong and a diesel Onan RV generator can be bought for a little more than a Yamaha I would buy it
Some mfg you can get a built in Onan from the factory gas/propane that all you would have to do is hit the start button. My TT and my 5er have built in 4K Onan. The portable Honda or Yamaha or even a Kipor would be a lot cheaper and could give you remote start. One of the draw backs is rain, myself I would not run/leave them out in the rain and with a built in that is not an issue.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

silvercorvette wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Another option would be a built in Onan RV generator. These are what most motorhomes use.
That was my first thought but the diesel units they put in motorhomes cost more than double what a Yahama will cost.

If I am wrong and a diesel Onan RV generator can be bought for a little more than a Yamaha I would buy it
Some mfg you can get a built in Onan from the factory gas/propane that all you would have to do is hit the start button. My TT and my 5er have built in 4K Onan. The portable Honda or Yamaha or even a Kipor would be a lot cheaper and could give you remote start. One of the draw backs is rain, myself I would not run/leave them out in the rain and with a built in that is not an issue.
If I go with a gasoline generator (at this point I am almost 100% sure it will be gas) then I amgoing with a Yamaha because I can also pick it up and carry it over to the house. since I moved to Anderson SC in 2007 we have had one to three power outages a year.

I haven't decided yet but most likely I will travel with the GEN in the truck bed with theoverhang giving it some rain protection. Most likley I will build a wood box the furter protect it for the rain and I will add some kind of sound absorbing material (if after I run it I think it requires some further noise reduction). The remote start for the Yamaha is about $200 extra and aalthough some people may not consider it important electric remote start is high up on my want list

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPDATE

I went out today and stopped off at the Yamaha dealer and bought the Yamaha EF4500iSE.

I think I got a very good price $2,700 plus tax for the GEN and $180 for the wireless remote start. I paid for the remote but I probably won't get it till October. They have a wired remote for $120 that I can have in a few days but I decided on wireless.

The unit has to be prepped so I pick it up Tuesday.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> (UPDATE) a question about a 2006 27 foot JAYCO
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS