|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Front Hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was party to installing one on an old Blazer w/FWC on the back. We used a carrier in it that was the 'tray' variety. It increased the length out front by 2', and it did drag on dips. Which is the same problem as mounting it on the rear, sort of...

So for ease of use, especially on an E series(lower clearance), I'd want it to step up either through the bumper or in front of the bumper.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

I wonder if a 500/9000 pound front receiver would interfere with my front bumper cover. My chassis is a 2007 E350.

This is my front bumper cover.

Anyone have a few good pictures of a front receiver mounted to a pre2008 E-series for me to compare? Maybe just a measurement from the pavement to the bottom of the receiver would suffice.

Ron.

This may help. I am pretty sure it's the same as mine was and on my Ford it snuggled right up against the under bumper valance (mine doesn't have a full cover). There are installation instructions on the above link too.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Ken & Barbie

New Boston, MI, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call Draw-Tite technical service at 800-521-0510 - these folks have been very helpful with "how will it look" questions.

Ken & Barb

Winnipeg

Los Angeles

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put one on my 2006 E450 motorhome. It was pretty easy to do, it took about 3 hours. You do need a helper to remove and re-install the bumper so that you don't scratch it.

The reason that I put it on is that we do a lot of desert camping, and there is absolutely no safe place to connect a tow strap to the front if you need to get towed out. The front receiver gives a great attach point if you ever need it and it does not cost much.

As for towing the MH with the front hitch...no thanks. The front receiver is a single point, center connection. For towing, you need two points plus locations for safety cables. Get the correct equipment for your intended task.

wd

SoCal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnipeg, sent you a PM. Thx

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dakzuki wrote:

This may help. I am pretty sure it's the same as mine was and on my Ford it snuggled right up against the under bumper valance (mine doesn't have a full cover). There are installation instructions on the above link too.
Thanks Dakzuki. Great info for me.

I will start a new thread, requesting pictures of people who have a front receiver on their pre-2008 E-Series, before the restyling of the chassis, and the change in part numbers for the receiver.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Front Hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS