RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Winnebago Eyre:Australian Winnebago

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago Eyre :Australian Winnebago

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mavapa

Rome, Ga, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The interior looks very similar to a European model (whose name I can't recall) that we saw a couple of years ago in Colorado. It had been shipped over from Germany for the couple's long US trip. It had tandem real wheels rather than duallies. The bed seemed to be positioned high like this one.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Burlmart wrote:

hat said, the Eyre is obviously a B+.

That confusion is what was on the Australian website I took the information from. It seems more like a LTV without a slideout.
Regarding duallies on the Ducato, they are parallel rather than side by side. You see them on rigs 27ft plus. The AMT transmission seems to work better on a longer Motorhome.

mavapa wrote:

The interior looks very similar to a European model (whose name I can't recall) that we saw a couple of years ago in Colorado

It is one of Winnebago's first lowline models based on the Ducato.

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That Dang Term, B+.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rvten wrote:

That Dang Term, B+.

Ain't it the truth... IMHO, some salesman's unnecessary invention that is totally misleading... merely causing confusion.

Mumkin
2011 LTV Libero

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobertRyan wrote:

Burlmart wrote:

hat said, the Eyre is obviously a B+.

That confusion is what was on the Australian website I took the information from. It seems more like a LTV without a slideout.

I constantly give LTV/EEE grief about their wanting to call my Libero and its twin the Serenity... a B or in some places a B+... when they are clearly C's since they are built on the cutaway.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Ducato based Motorhome built by AVAN

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burlmart wrote:

“Class B campervan
Main article: Campervan

Built using a conventional van, to which either a raised roof has been added or the back replaced by a low-profile body (aka coach-built). In Australia, a Class B motorhome is quite distinct from a campervan, as it is based on a very large van that is, in turn, based on a truck. These motorhomes weigh up to 4500 kg and measure up to 6.4m in length. Popular vehicle makes include the Ford Trader and Isuzu NPR 300.

Most Australian campervans are based on much smaller vehicles such as the Toyota HiAce, while the middle ground is now populated by larger vans that blur the definition of campervan or motorhome. These include the Ford Transit, Mercedes Benz Sprinter, Fiat Ducato, and Iveco.”

And there is that pesky B+ RV.net subforum…

Well that sub-forum is placed properly with the C Forum.

Actually that definition seems to fit the RVIA definition of a Class B. It comes off the line as a van (even if the frame is based on a truck) and the converter cuts and chops as he wishes. If this unit came from the factory as a full sized van... and they chose to remove the rear van walls and replace them (Roadway and perhaps GWV tried a similar thing in the past, but I believe that they had handling problems and stopped them), it would fit. Plus 6.4 meters is just over 20 ft... which doesn't seem "very long" to me.

The difference seems to be that they call small B's "campervans." Plus I'm not sure how they then call 24' Sprinter a "middle-ground." So their definitions are as muddied as ours.

Perhaps Robert could answer the question of how it left the factory for us. If it came off the line as a big ole van, do we have to move it back to the B Board?

mumkin

Minnetonka, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not the way I read it, but what do I know, I only have an MA in Linguistics and taught English as a foreign language for 15 years.

But as Robert says in your other thread, this wiki entry is not accurate anyway.

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Being ever-hesitant to engage in a discussion of the B+ thing , I will point out a fact of which even Robert in AU might be unaware.

Like I posted somewhere in the past about how the Brits speak of low profile coach builts as a unique form of C class RVs comporable to campervans, so do the Aussies. The Eyre as a Class B was not a dealer’s advertising error.

From the Wiki:

“Class B campervan
Main article: Campervan

Built using a conventional van, to which either a raised roof has been added or the back replaced by a low-profile body (aka coach-built). In Australia, a Class B motorhome is quite distinct from a campervan, as it is based on a very large van that is, in turn, based on a truck. These motorhomes weigh up to 4500 kg and measure up to 6.4m in length. Popular vehicle makes include the Ford Trader and Isuzu NPR 300.

Most Australian campervans are based on much smaller vehicles such as the Toyota HiAce, while the middle ground is now populated by larger vans that blur the definition of campervan or motorhome. These include the Ford Transit, Mercedes Benz Sprinter, Fiat Ducato, and Iveco.”

And there is that pesky B+ RV.net subforum…

2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

burlmart

Baton Rouge

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

Well that sub-forum is placed properly with the C Forum.

Actually that definition seems to fit the RVIA definition of a Class B. It comes off the line as a van (even if the frame is based on a truck) and the converter cuts and chops as he wishes. If this unit came from the factory as a full sized van... and they chose to remove the rear van walls and replace them (Roadway and perhaps GWV tried a similar thing in the past, but I believe that they had handling problems and stopped them), it would fit. Plus 6.4 meters is just over 20 ft... which doesn't seem "very long" to me.

The difference seems to be that they call small B's "campervans." Plus I'm not sure how they then call 24' Sprinter a "middle-ground." So their definitions are as muddied as ours.

Perhaps Robert could answer the question of how it left the factory for us. If it came off the line as a big ole van, do we have to move it back to the B Board?

Mumkin,

If I am reading it right, in Australia, an enclosed van coming out the factory and used as an RV is a Campervan as long as its body is not altered. Either by raising its roof or altering what is behind the van's cab, you have either

a) a Class B campervan (low profile), orr
b) a Class C (mini-motorhome) if the coach has a cab overhang bunk

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Winnebago Eyre :Australian Winnebago
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: