|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel stabalizer jack

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
BrokenElbow

Valencia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never used one because most of the folks on this forum recommended against is and instead recommended JT Stabilizers or Steadyfast Stabilizers. I selected the Steadyfast units and am very happy with the results.

2011 Montana 3455, MorRyde pin box, TrailerSaver BD3 air hitch, G614 tires, 2x6volt batts, 2 x Honda 2000i, Rotochoks, 6 pnt Levelup, TST TPMS, Arvika bike rack, Voyager Semi Wireless Rear Cam, Flojet Mascerator, 2008 F350 Lariat 6.4L diesel 4x4 SB CC SRW

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you need those with auto-levers?

Just saying.....

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us out West wrote:

Just saying.....
Probably not

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

Dutch & Di

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some do and some don't. It really depends quite a bit on your RV. The levelers are not meant for stability but they do offer some. We have friends with Big Foot Levelers and they don't need stabilizers. We too have Big Foot Levelers and found we still needed stabilizers. We're 38' long with 3 slides and a full rear wall entertainment center. Diana

Mile High wrote:

Us out West wrote:

Just saying.....
Probably not

2014 Western Brown Pearl single cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisin Transmission, Pace Edwards auto rolltop cover.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Susp, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Auto Leveling System, TST TPMS

Sandy & Shirley

North East, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we use a pair of wayne's stabilizers and love them

'02 F350 7.3PSD CC LB DRW, Reese 20K Hitch, Brake Smart, AirLift, C-betr mirrors,
'04 Everest 343L, TrailAir, RotoChoks, Wayne's stabilizer
Toys: Fold-Away Pet Carrier, Thermos Grill 2 GO
For more info, visit Our RV web site.

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

There is no way I'm going to enter all of that into my browser, but if you are talking about a tripod king-pin stabilizer my wife thinks it steadies the bedroom (Titaniums have the overhanging nose cone) therefore I install it whenever we will be in the same location two or more nights.

If anybody's "wife" thinks it steadies the bedroom, in my opinion place the order for one yesterday. Heck, git two. As another poster's sig line say's "if the wife isn't happy, nobodies happy"

Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wandering1 wrote:

Rubber tires will bounce, suspension systems are made to bounce. To eliminate the bouncing/wiggling you need to keep the weight from pushing down on the tires and suspension by making sure your stabilizers are tight between the 5er and the ground. Don’t just let them out far enough to touch the ground, turn the crank more to make sure they are tight so they will not allow the 5er to push down on the tires. Use a bipod/tripod under the king pin. Make sure it is tight between the ground and the king pin, don’t just adjust it till it touches, tighten it so the front overhang will not move. Make sure to check the stabilizers and bipod/tripod every couple of days because they will loosen up over time. Doesn’t make sense spending a lot of money on landing jack stabilizers when the landing jacks are stable and don’t bounce up and down. If you have properly adjusted the stabilizers and bipod/tripod then you shouldn’t have any bouncing/wiggling. This has worked for me over the past 15 years.

Chocks are to keep the 5er from rolling forward or backwards. They do not eliminate the weight of the 5er from pushing down and causing the bouncing/wiggling. If you park on a site that has a decline then you probably want to use chocks to keep your 5er from rolling when you unhitch.

There are a lot of other options out there to “eliminate” the bouncing/wiggling if you have the extra money and want to spend it.

This is what I do and it works well. For some reason, people are afraid to put 200 or 300 pounds on a scissor type stabilizer jack. Perhaps it is all of the dire warnings all over the place to not use it to lift the trailer. These things are typically rated at 5000 pounds and have the ability to lift one side of many trailers off the ground. The reason they warn you not to do that is because it flexes the frame in a direction and DEGREE that it was not designed to. However, putting a couple hundred pounds on one does not flex it any more than hitting a bump while going down the road.

As for checking the tightness, that is especially important while boondocking and drawing water from your fresh water tank. This will shift the weigth distribution around in the trailer. My freshwater tank is all the way in the back; all of the holding tanks are forward of the axles. If I only put 30 or 40 pounds of pressure on each jack, they won't be touching the ground after using about a third of the water in the tank. Even putting 200 or 300 pounds on each one, I start noticing a change in the stability as the tank gets almost empty.

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel stabalizer jack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS