|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ??? Tire presure and rim rating

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Our Place

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This has most likely been beat to death here but... I discovered that the rims on my new camper are only rated to 60psi but the tire pressure decal applied by Coachman states tire pressure to be 65psi. Don't the rim max trump the tire rating? Like I can't run 80 psi in the tires if the rim only rates to 60psi.

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gas Allison trans
2011 Coachman Chaparral 268RLE "Campy"

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the answer is probably yes .... I am in the same boat though as I have e-rated ST tires on 15" rims...

I have run them for 4+ years at 80 PSI and they have worked great...

I am not sure how much I am tempting fate though...

My next move will be to 16" rims with LT tires..

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your wheels are the ones that were provided for your trailer when new, I'd be in contact with Coachmen about the problem and see if you can't get a new set of wheels from them. Since THEY recommend the tire pressure and didn't provide you with wheels that can handle that pressure they OWE you the correct wheels for your trailer.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup. The rims are the limiting factor in your case. Since the rims are probably 15 inch and that means you are likely stuck with ST tires now might be a good time to upgrade to a LT tire and 16 inch rims.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Place wrote:

This has most likely been beat to death here but... I discovered that the rims on my new camper are only rated to 60psi but the tire pressure decal applied by Coachman states tire pressure to be 65psi. Don't the rim max trump the tire rating? Like I can't run 80 psi in the tires if the rim only rates to 60psi.

I wouldn't lose a moments sleep over exceeding rim pressure. Rims don't blow up just because someone puts too much pressure in them. Your concern should be with carrying capacity of those wheels. Just because you go to an 80psi tire, and run them at 80psi, does NOT mean that you can load the trailer to a weight that exceeds the rim rating. The wheels should have a weight rating stamped on them. THAT is what you want to stay below.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Our Place

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Yup. The rims are the limiting factor in your case. Since the rims are probably 15 inch and that means you are likely stuck with ST tires now might be a good time to upgrade to a LT tire and 16 inch rims.

I have already been looking for new rims and tires. If I pull the 15's off soon I can resell them in my shop for boat trailers. Then have a really nice set of 15 inch aluminum camper rims for sale!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality made in the USA wheels are load and pressure rated according to folks at southwestwheel. I know my implement trailer dealer sells tires and trailer wheels to the public and will not accept a wheel shipment that doesn't have a pressure rating and load capacity due to liability issues.
Exceeding the rims pressure can result in a split wheel usually when load approach the higher end. Over pressuring a tire or wheel isn't a wise move. And yes I've split more than one truck and trailer wheels when I was younger and mounted 10 ply tires on truck/trailer wheels with a 60 psi rating so I could carry more weight.
Tire and wheel manufacturers warn not to exceed pressure ratings.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was a dealer I would not sell rims rated under PSI of tires installed either.

With that be said if a rim stamped 60 PSI is going to fail at 80 PSI I do not want to run it at even 40 PSI.

The trend that I see over the years is they tend to stamp the rim with a number that matches the tire max PSI expected to be used with that rim.

Long term liability is reduced by doing this.

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Our Place wrote:

I wouldn't lose a moments sleep over exceeding rim pressure. Rims don't blow up just because someone puts too much pressure in them. Your concern should be with carrying capacity of those wheels. Just because you go to an 80psi tire, and run them at 80psi, does NOT mean that you can load the trailer to a weight that exceeds the rim rating. The wheels should have a weight rating stamped on them. THAT is what you want to stay below.
That's crazy advise. You don't run anything over its rated pressure or load. Just asking for trouble and nobody will stand behind you when it happens.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2011 rig with non matched rated tires & rims........Dealer time.
Have them correct it OR put in writing with MFG. co-signed that rim rating doesn't matter and OK to exceed the stamp rating.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ??? Tire presure and rim rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS