|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ??? Tire presure and rim rating

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 04:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of years ago my SIL had a tire go on his toy hauler before he realised
it,the rim was destroyed.He notified the mfgr of the rim and was told they would need to make a new one to match what he had.When they found out what he was using the rim on,they refused to OK the use of that rim on his trailer.It ended up with the trailer dealer eating the cost for 5 new rims and tires.
The trailer manufactures are always looking for a way to save a dime.In this case it sure seems to me that the dealer/manufacturer owes the OP a new set of wheels at the least.

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

troll3193

SouthWest, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

For RV trailers tires are fitted to the GAWR, as depicted on the tire placard or vehicle certification label.

FastEagle

understand, but in my view there is not enough headroom on most trailers...

This forum is filled with blowout stories.. take away the ones caused by under inflation, poor care,, excessive speed etc... and I still bet a fair amount would be eliminated by one step up in tired rating...

my TT might well be within the weight boundaries of four D-rated tires, but don't personally think they were appropriate. Should have been E-rated from the factory...

Bryan

2006 RAM 3500 MegaCab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel
Mopar Exhaust Brake
2004 Dutchemen 31BK

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An over-rated china junk tire is still junk. These blowouts are caused by poor quality and defects, not borderline weight ratings. If you truly want to rest a little easier, just go to a properly rated quality USA tire.

Our Place

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actualy my tires and wheels are plenty rated for my rig. My rims are 15x7 and rated for 2800 lbs each and my tires max at 2873 lbs at 65 lbs max pressure but the rim is stamped 60 psi. It don't say that its the max but I bet it is? My camper weights 7502 with 2240 cargo capacity so my tires and rims cover this weight.

2001 GMC 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1 gas Allison trans
2011 Coachman Chaparral 268RLE "Campy"

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Place wrote:

This has most likely been beat to death here but... I discovered that the rims on my new camper are only rated to 60psi but the tire pressure decal applied by Coachman states tire pressure to be 65psi. Don't the rim max trump the tire rating? Like I can't run 80 psi in the tires if the rim only rates to 60psi.

If my GVWR sticker said 65 psi minimum and the wheels said 60 psi maximum I would be back to the dealer for a warranty adjustment.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

80 PSI in a 65 PSI rated wheel assembly is running nearly 20% overloaded. Doing this borders on negligence in operation.

And so whats going to happen to the rim???? Blow up?

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

mapguy wrote:

80 PSI in a 65 PSI rated wheel assembly is running nearly 20% overloaded. Doing this borders on negligence in operation.

Much worse! The rim then becomes square making for a rough ride.

Actually I have talked to long term tire men locally and they just laugh about rim pressure concerns +/- 25 PSI. I know I have a 12" China rim ($12) that is aired to 90 PSI because of a sticker on the rim that said air to max PSI stamped on side of trailer tire. It is a 2,000 pound axle and has not been over loaded.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

If your wheels are the ones that were provided for your trailer when new, I'd be in contact with Coachmen about the problem and see if you can't get a new set of wheels from them. Since THEY recommend the tire pressure and didn't provide you with wheels that can handle that pressure they OWE you the correct wheels for your trailer.
Good luck / Skip

In fact, this would be subject to recall.

ERS

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Place wrote:

Actualy my tires and wheels are plenty rated for my rig. My rims are 15x7 and rated for 2800 lbs each and my tires max at 2873 lbs at 65 lbs max pressure but the rim is stamped 60 psi. It don't say that its the max but I bet it is? My camper weights 7502 with 2240 cargo capacity so my tires and rims cover this weight.

A tire that fits on a 15" rim that has a load rating of 2873 pounds at 65 psi? What tire is this? There are a whole bunch of people with ST225/75R15 load range D tires that will be interested in upgrading to what you have. This tire sounds more like a load range E tire.

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

mapguy wrote:

Slow failure will be a tire/wheel assembly that is a leaker and proper inflation can not be maintained. On a sudden failure the wheel comes apart.

Steel wheels usually have cracked welds in the rim contour.

Aluminum wheels usually fracture.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> ??? Tire presure and rim rating
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS