|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Douthat - VA State Park

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
VAfan

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Douthat State Park has long been on the bucket list and we plan to visit sometime this spring. Any information would be appreciated regarding preferred W/E sites , day trips, activities at the park, places to eat, etc.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never stayed at the park but I know the area and travel thru there regularly. The nearest town is Clifton Forge. It's big attraction is the C&O railroad museum. There is a very active freight yard in town if you like to watch trains. The town is rather "up and coming" for being a small mountain town. They have a Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, and Hardees.
Also near Douthat is Lake Moomaw. It is about 2,700 acres. Not huge but very pretty. We camp and boat there a lot. There are several nice camping areas around the lake. I think the marina rents some small fishing boats but I'm not sure.
North of Lake Moomaw is the Dominion VA Power pumped storage power station. It is an amazing piece of engineering. They pump water up the mountain so it can run back down again and drive the turbines. They used to give tours. I don't know if they still do. They have some small lakes there and I hear the fishing is great.
The nearby town of Hot Springs is home to the famous Homestead resort. They have a golf course and I don't know what else.

GoneCamping

Chesapeake, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stayed there one time several years ago, and can't remember enough to give a specific site recommendation. I do however know enough that of the three campground loops, the nicest sites are in the "White Oak Campground" loop. I also recall I was very happy with the site I was in, I think it was #5...

I have some info and pictures posted HERE

*Cliff*
"The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration!"

2000 Ford F-150
2005 Coachmen Spirit of America 300 TBS
Chesapeake, Virginia

2oldman

Vegas, baby

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Douthat posts

VAfan

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the information. A park ranger said they are opening a new campground in the spring that will have W/E and a dump station.

PamfromVA

Fauquier County, VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong, but I thought I read on the Douthat VA state park website that the new campground will be for horse campers. We have stayed in white oak several times. sites are large and the campground is very wooded. we usually do alot of hiking and my husband mountain bikes and likes the trails. we never leave the campground so can't tell you about the "area" around the campground.

2011 Open Range Roamer 266RLS
2007 Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7-liter V8
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Stumps

valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

The town is rather "up and coming" for being a small mountain town. They have a Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, and Hardees.

not quite the words I'd use to describe Clifton Forge...

I know you were kidding, but after some of the mill work/factory jobs left, it's been a hard area to live.

I like the campground - I stayed in White Oak, I preferred the shade.

Great hiking. My recommendation is to take your mountain bike, as they have trails you can ride on, which is great.

2011 Honda Pilot
2009 Jayco 1207

Eat at Mary's Hot Tamales - Magnolia Ave, Knoxville, TN!

pamvanw

southeastern pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been 4 years ago, but we ate at the restaurant in the park and it was quite good.

Pam
2012 Arctic Fox 30U
2012 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Douthat - VA State Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS