|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter camping advise

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to keep things warm and water dripping!

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Scott & Jill

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobfinch wrote:

It's as set up as it could be as far as i can tell. I would look for a LP Co. to supply the gas.
Well you should be able to check with the manufacture to see if it is winterized if it is not I would not tack it in below tempters this could resort into lines breaking or tank rupture.

Life is too short; enjoy it the best way possible

stoversfromnj

MIDDLETOWN NJ USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We winter camped in the Poconos for the last 10 years. We were winter on site. We have the fifth wheel winterized. We use the bath house to shower and do most of our "business". We use an electric tea pot to heat water and two sink containers, one with dirty and one with clean water to do dishes.. We put the furnace to about 55. We close the bedroom door and use an electric oil filled furnace. It is a bit chilly when you get up in the morning and go into the living area but we kick up the heat and it is warm in no time. We use it as a cheap place to sleep during skiing season. This year we chose to bring the camper home and we do all of this in our driveway! We are heading up to the Poconos this weekend for some real camping and bon fires. Cant wait!

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, a few more small things that you might not think about! If your slides are out and it snows you'll need a way to clear off the snow before you retract the slides. And expect a lot of condensation on the inside of your windows due to extreme temperture changes outside to inside. And if it rains then freezes beware of retracting the slides with ice on the awning toppers! I did that one time and the ice cut my slide out seal.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

though counter-intuitive, one of your biggest concerns will be your refrigerator. In very cold weather, the ammonia in an RV style refrigeration will not flow well and the absorbtion refrigerators do not function efficently. It is actually much harder to get them to cool when it is subzero outside than when it is 100. Don't know exactly how cold you can expect in your area, but we often experience temps below -20F. At that temperature, plastic and many other materials become extremely brittle. I have broken a lot of latches and the like with a gentle tug. Fixing the damage dressed like an Eskimo is not easy. In my opinion, the effort and cost needed to keep an RV liveable in true winter conditions makes a rental cabin or motel room look really, really good.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 12:16pm by westernrvparkowner *

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I has the electric heater in the utility bay, heated basement and tanks, I don't know what else could be done on the Mfg. level? I'm going to keep researching and try to be prepared for anything and everything.

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most places in the Northeast that offer winter camping have arrangements for a propane truck to come through and fill up anyone who signs up for auto-delivery.
We get filled every Thurs, whether we've been there or not.
And they bill us monthly for propane and electric.
If you winterize, you won't have to worry so much about heat, and you'll be staying on one site for the season, so no worries about slides etc. We leave our slides out all season, same as last season, and same as everyone else there. If you DO need to leave, believe me, the roof of your slide isn't THAT well-insulated, and after a few hours with the heat on, the snow melts and you're good to go. We keep our heat at 45 because we chose NOT to winterize this year so we'd have full use of our water systems. We obviously pay more for propane, but that's our choice.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

Rockwood27

Effingham, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobfinch wrote:

Thanks for all the advise, we wouldn't be traveling during the winter, we'd be doing a seasonal in NH and snowmobiling, skiing and XCountry skiing. We won't be staying full time so I would run antifreeze through everything when we leave and shut it back down. I would also have an additional 100# LP tank I use for temporary heat on job sites. I'd also set up the sewer with 4"PVC and run it through some flex heat duct, I wouldn't want to mess with blue sewer hoses in the winter. My coach has a heater in the utility compartment, are you running a light bulb in addition to the heater? Thanks again Bob

Bob, I don't know if have selected a campground yet, but Danforth Bay CG in Freedom, NH has winter camping. The owners of DBCG also own King Pine ski area in Madison (a few miles north of DB) and Purity Springs Resorts, again in Madison. The campground is also adjacent to a 2,000 acre, town-owned rec area (snowmobiling) with access to many snowmobiling trails.

Fran

Fran, Mary & Zoey (silver Cocker)
2006 Itasca Sunrise 35A, 2005 W-22, Allison 1000 5 speed

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobfinch wrote:

It's as set up as it could be as far as i can tell. I would look for a LP Co. to supply the gas.
Well, just what is it? I know that you are not going to winter camp in a 1994 Allegro which doesn't have heated or enclosed basements. But if you have a Monoco, Triple E, Foretravel, Travel Supreme, or Newell, you should be all set!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

bobfinch

Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Rockwood, that's where I'm planning on going, Have you ever stayed there?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Winter camping advise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS