RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: new dually ...please help!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> new dually ...please help!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

okay...so we went to pick up the shiny new 2012 Dodge 3500 dually. Everything's going great. I look in the glove box and find a paper with a picture of a truck and it's typed and says: this vehicle NOT recommended for use with a slide in camper!!!

The dealer is shocked and hands us the truck camper guide book. In the front cover in small letters it states: if the vehicle has the snow plow prep pkg, a slide in camper is not recommended. Well our truck has it. It came with it and we thought, we probably won't use it, but the larger alternator is nice, and the skid plate might be helpful while boondocking.

(I know this is long)... has anyone else had this issue? Do they mean you just can't have a tc and plow on together? We tried to get an engineer at Dodge but they didn't answer. Please assist. Our shiny new Dodge is waiting at the dealer. We told him, deal's off if we can't use it with a TC. We feel like we're herding cats.

2011 Adventurer 910FBS,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD, 4x4, LB,CC,6 speed auto,3.73 axle, General 17" on/off road
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

JacintoKid

San Antonio, Texas (formerly sheepdog)

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This topic has come up many times before. I think the consensus is that it's the lawyers who cause this to happen. If I recall correctly, there was one poster who had both the slide-in warning and another slip of paper showing a diagram on the proper way to load a truck camper. Don't worry about it. Enjoy your camper.

07.5' Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4 L/B Cummins
08 Arctic Fox 990
(2) KLX 400's and a flotilla of small boats

Flyfisher86

Catskill Mtns.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The sticker was put in the glove box by a lawyer. If you look in the packet with the owners manual you will find a sheet showing how the weight should be distributed when you load a camper. My truck has the snow plow package and did not have the sticker a friend has the same truck and his had the sticker, we both have the camper loading sheet. Pickup the truck load your camper and enjoy it. You will love that new Dodge.

2009 Dodge 3500QC DRW Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CD Special Edition 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked through the TC archives and read the threads, but it didn't address the fact that it's written in black and white, by Dodge. We don't want to void the warranty on the pricy gem.

The dealer just called and DH went back. We'll see if we end up with a dually in the garage tonight.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

missmy5ver wrote:

okay...so we went to pick up the shiny new 2012 Dodge 3500 dually. Everything's going great. I look in the glove box and find a paper with a picture of a truck and it's typed and says: this vehicle NOT recommended for use with a slide in camper!!!

The dealer is shocked and hands us the truck camper guide book. In the front cover in small letters it states: if the vehicle has the snow plow prep pkg, a slide in camper is not recommended. Well our truck has it. It came with it and we thought, we probably won't use it, but the larger alternator is nice, and the skid plate might be helpful while boondocking.

(I know this is long)... has anyone else had this issue? Do they mean you just can't have a tc and plow on together? We tried to get an engineer at Dodge but they didn't answer. Please assist. Our shiny new Dodge is waiting at the dealer. We told him, deal's off if we can't use it with a TC. We feel like we're herding cats.

My truck had the same slip in it back in 1992, however, it's long past warranty.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

MARKW8

Akron OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I myself would ignore it.

Mark

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the notice out and burn it. (at least it's good for that)

Cal

johnnycap

Pocono Mtns.

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FROM MY DEALER;

Hi John,

It was nice meeting you today. I'm sorry I didn't have the info on the camper, but I did find out why it said that on the paper in the glove box.

The reason is because this truck is equipped with snow plow prep group. This group only gives you a skid plate below the transfer case, but it states that on the paper just in case you put a snow plow on the truck.

So, there is no reason not to put a slide in camper on the truck, unless you add a snowplow.

I attached the camper guide where I found the information.

Don't hesistate to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

'06 Ram 2500 4WD Quadcab SB Laramie, Cummins
SuperSprings, Timbrens
Nitto Dura Grapplers 3970 Lbs
2010 Covered Wagon
2010 GoldWing
2013 Work and Play 30 WRS

campn4walleye

Central WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dealer and DH spoke with Dodge and it just means that you shouldn't have a plow on at the same time as the TC. DH just drove in with his new dually! It's a beauty and now all we have to do is choose the TC! Now how hard can that be?

Thanks for your encouragement. You made me feel 1000% better. DH said "ask your camper buddies"...I knew you would help.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 04:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I owned a 2002 Dodge Ram2500 that came with a "camper package" as well as the trailer package. The book said the truck was NOT recommended to carry a camper. But it did not say I could not tow a trailer. I wrote to Dodge and asked about that and was told the "camper package" was there to help stabilize the truck. So it appears the lawyers got their stuff in your truck too.

If it has a "camper package" I'd say it was designed to carry a camper. What else?

Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> new dually ...please help!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS