RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Toilet Backs Up?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toilet Backs Up?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
WillieD

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Germania wrote:

I had a similar problem with my Fleetwood Fiesta.My rig was new so I had no prior owner to worry about.If you remove the hopper(not hard at all)it'll give you a much better idea of the problem your facing.
I always thought my soil pipe had a 90 in to the tank, upon removing the hopper I could see it was a 45 into the tank and I could clearly see into the tank.Mine was not a build up problem it was the fact that the hopper was not dropping enough water into pipe.I put a different model Thetford(Bravura)on ,that seemed to drop whatever was in the bowl much faster.End of my problems.
If yours is a buidup problem try filling tank with water and addCalgon(water softener)and leave it sit, the longer the better than take rig for a bumpy ride stopping and starting often

Good Luck

Calgon suggestion worked for me once. I now use it occasionally in both gray and black tanks as a preventitive to future build ups.

removing the toilet sounds like "solid" advice. no pun intended

WillieD,MaryLee,and Sid
Fleetwood Excursion 40X & 2011 Colorado 4X4 Toad

mllk3rd

Pismo Beach, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that naturist might be right, may be it's a 90 going to the tank. What if I do both the ice cubes and then the Calgon? How long and how much of the Calgon should be used? Going in for a rotator cuff surgery in a few days so it will be sitting for a few months.
Thanks for the help.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just this weekend I had this very same problem. Toilet starting backing up and I just assumed the black tank was full. I didn't understand how it got full because we were only camping three days and I was pretty sure it was empty when we started other than then few gallons of water I always leave in it. So I went to the dump station and dumped the black tank and looked back in the toilet and it was still backed up. I didn't know it was even possible to plug the toilet because I thought the pipe just dropped right into the tank.

I got a coat hanger and straightened it out and started sticking it down the pipe and even though it would go in more than three feet it would not clear the clog. We were done camping anyway and I drove the 100 miles home and the water was still backed up in the toilet. Wasn't even draining in the slightest. I used a toilet punger and that did clear it and caused it to drain.

After I got it to drain I could look down the pipe with a flashlight and could see it went down at an angle for what looked like about three feet. I could see toilet paper at the bottom of the pipe. I ran the garden hose through the window and had the wife turn it on full blast. I let the water run but it didn't appear to clear out any of the built up toilet paper. So that's where I left it for now. When I get a chance I'm going to get some type of a nozzle for the hose that I won't want to use again and stick it down there with some water pressure behind it and see if I can clear out more of the blockage. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try the ice trick, but it seems to me that if water full blast from the hose won't work that some ice sloshing around won't work either.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After you get the pipe cleaned out, I would suggest you start using Angle Soft TP. It will dissolve much faster. Try it... put Scotts single ply in a jar with water and shake it a time or two then try it with Angle Soft. I couldn't believe the Angle Soft dissolved to much quicker that the single ply stuff that you have to triple and quadruple fold.

Never pass up a chance to go somewhere

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After you get the tank cleaned out, you may want to consider the Geo Method for keeping your tanks clean.

Ronald M

Traverse City, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes I get a build up of TP that hangs up in the piping.
I clear this build up by using a 3" swim noodle that fits the drain pipe exactly. I insert it down the opening as far as it will go and it works every time.

Ron & Agnes
1999 3865 Dutch Star DP
Updated 2009 Full paint, new carpet & tile
Spartan IFS Chassis 300hp Cummins
2010 Ford Escape
FMCA 333800

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ronald M wrote:

Sometimes I get a build up of TP that hangs up in the piping.
I clear this build up by using a 3" swim noodle that fits the drain pipe exactly. I insert it down the opening as far as it will go and it works every time.

Then does it go back in the pool with the kids?

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always used the RV TP that you get at Camping World or Wal-Mart. I guess it doesn't work completely as advertised. No big deal now that I know the potential problem. I'll just have to add a toilet plunger to the list of tools in the basement just in case it does it again.

mllk3rd

Pismo Beach, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tinstar wrote:

After you get the pipe cleaned out, I would suggest you start using Angle Soft TP. It will dissolve much faster. Try it... put Scotts single ply in a jar with water and shake it a time or two then try it with Angle Soft. I couldn't believe the Angle Soft dissolved to much quicker that the single ply stuff that you have to triple and quadruple fold.

Thanks, I'll try it out, don't really like the Scotts.

Galvanizd

Mogollon Rim For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might need more water. The size of your pipes could be a problem and is probably going to be an expensive fix. Use more water, flush twice if you need to. I'm guessing you have the common standard in-line water regulator sold at most rv places. It's designed to regulate the water into your coach but often time it doesn't allow enough water into your toilet to fill it properly.

Try this when hooked to "shore" water. Put water in your fresh water holding tank. Turn your water pump on and see if it makes a difference in the toilet bowl with the amount of water through the pipes when you flush. The same concept when you want better pressure in the shower, turn the pump on with water in the tank.

Alot of posts and info on "Better" water regulators on the net. Check around.

Flush out black tanks with alot of fresh water, each time you dump. Ice was a waste of time for me. Calgon rinse was ok.

In any case, use more water to flush. See if it makes a difference.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toilet Backs Up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS