RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Toilet Backs Up?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toilet Backs Up?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a friend with a TT, that had this same problem. It would flush out, but same problem would re-occur. The fix was to add 5 gallons of water before going on trips, or camping. 5 gallons is not much in the bottom of the holding tank, but it was enough to prevent a build-up starting under the toilet drop. Material apparently was sticking to the bottom of the holding tank, when it was dry.

You can try ice cubes, but as Sully said, good luck. The GEO Method will work, but it will remove all lube from the dump valves, causing hard operation.

If you have a hard build-up under the drop pipe, try filling the tank 3/4 full and letting it set for a long time. Water is a great solvent. If this does not work, a pressure washer will solve the problem.

Good luck

Wildman

NorCal Dan

Marysville, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the better items I've purchased for the coach is a closet auger. Cost is below $20 depending on length required. I bought a 3' version for about $12. It is just long enough to use from the toilet to black tank, mine is not a straight dump from toilet to tank. I've also used it from the dump valves and it is just long enough to reach both gray and black tanks.

'13 Ram 2500Hemi pulling '12 Coachman Chaparral -- USAF Retired --

BlackBirdCD

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had this happen last summer after a long trip with the family. Dumping the black tank was leaving solids, which backed everything up. Decided use the black tank flush line on my unit to fill it up and drain repeatedly to see if I couldn't clear the solids.

Unfortunately the park only had a limited septic system. After the third full black tank flush in my HUGE class-A I noticed all the sewer caps down the park were overflowing with my junk! Hilarious, especially since everyone was at the beach (they were all tent campers anyway). Once my family got back I shoved them in "WE HAVE TO LEAVE NOW!!!"

(but seriously I informed the park attendant who laughed it off, saying "yeah, I thought you were having trouble. Probably should've warned you about our septic system not being large enough for that kind of action". And I took the time to hose off the offending matter).

After letting it sit for a few months full of water, things broke down well enough to clear. THAT'S when I had my next stupid-RV owner moment - the drain hose slipped off as I opened the foul release valve on the black water tank. No choice but to grab the hose and force it back on before it got worse. That was fun.

New road warrior
2003 Fleetwood Bounder 36D

jetboat4

wausau

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep a garbage can in our bathroom. This is where tp goes. We don't send any into the tank.

1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35S F-53 V-10 Triton with Banks

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the vertical pipe from the toilet into the tank is only 2.5 inches off the bottom of the tank, then it is way too close to the bottom. When the tank fills above the 2.5 inch level then the flushed waste cannot get out of the pipe. It simply sits in the pipe and floats. That is a terrible design. The simple answer is to raise the pipe higher off the bottom of the tank. The answer may be as simple as replacing the pipe with on that only goes into the tank a few inches.
The 2.5 inches mentioned several posts back has nothing to do with a pipe diameter. The original poster was talking about the distance from the bottom of the tank to the end of the down pipe.

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For toilet paper problems we've used RV Digest in the past with success! Good Luck.

mllk3rd

Pismo Beach, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/12 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, so I looked at it a little closer today and it definitely looks like its some type of a 90 that goes into the tank, not a traditional 90 as it's much wider than the size of the pipe, almost like a flat pedestal or shelf like vtbigdog described. Think I'll have to remove the toilet and check it out better. It'll have to wait a few months since I'm having rotator cuff surgery Monday.
Thanks for all the help, I did add Calgon to the tanks with lots of water so maybe that will help.

* This post was edited 03/02/12 07:15pm by mllk3rd *

chipndip

Madison, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jetboat4 wrote:

We keep a garbage can in our bathroom. This is where tp goes. We don't send any into the tank.
Do what?

deaop01

Mansfield, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use Dawn liquid soap in our tanks. The blue stuff that is unscented. Cologon does work but Dawn I think is better. Never had a problem.

You should add 1/3 bottle of Dawn then fill the tank up almost full. Let it set for a week. Drive it around for a while then dump. The Dawn should soften or break down the pile. Fill and dump a couple of times. Add some Dawn and 10 gallons of water. Do this every time and you should never have any more problems.

If this don't fix your tank then I don't have any other answers. The piping could be a problem but I hope that is not the case.

Good luck

Ron

Betty and Ron
2002 Bounder 31W
8.1 with 5 speed Allison
2 slides
2005 Colorado toad

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know it's a long shot in regards to the OPs problem but to any lurkers that might have a similar problem, there have been known cases where the wood cutout for the toilet was dropped into the tank during manufacturing. It can float around for years and then end up lodging in a place that plugs either the toilet or the outlet. Since it can float, after it's dislodged, it can come back and plug things up again days or weeks or years later.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Fleetwood Bounder, '94
Cummins Diesel, 190HP, 36.5' with 50HP LP boost.
Black Rock Lava Park, Nevada

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Toilet Backs Up?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS