RV.Net Open Roads Forum: $100 for a estimate for body damage

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > $100 for a estimate for body damage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Luke Porter

National Director

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2000

View Profile



Posted: 02/21/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had damage caused buy a faulty tire. Michelin required 2 estimates. The ones I got were free. Michelin would have probably paid. They stood up to the damage.


Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.


.


retired4fun2002

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/21/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had estimates and never pay a dime. I hope the firm goes under, they lack integrity. Safe travels.

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/21/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Free is getting harder to find these days.

Don & Linda

Western PA / Cape Cod

Senior Member

Joined: 07/23/2004

View Profile



Posted: 02/21/12 09:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Most Insurance companies have moved away from needing estimates and you can just take your vehicle to a repair facility that is authorized in their system. Also, any needed estimates are now done by their own claim adjusters. Getting estimates at repair facilities are becoming a thing of the past when insurance is paying. When insurance doesn't pay, I would venture to guess that 9 out of ten estimates do not result in the shop making a repair. Estimates cost a shop money, they have to pay their employees whether or not it results in a repair. If they didn't charge for that estimate, they would just have to pass those costs on to those who actually chose to use the facility for their repairs. That increases the costs for the real customers. A charge for an estimate, where that charge is applied to the bill should I use that shop is fine with me.


X 2 and well said, I might add.


Sorry if this post seems long, I lacked the time to make it shorter.
almost quote from S.L. Clemens

Don & Linda

1st RV UL EMS 4s Dome
2nd RV 21' AMF Scamper TT PV D300 Dodge
3rd RV National Seabreeze 133LX w/Demco Dolly
4th RV Jayco 2450 5TH PV Ford F-250 SD


sc3283

St Louis

Senior Member

Joined: 01/15/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 12:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A very common thing...and this is why
employee tied up with the estimate, documentation costs with each estimate
and so many that want estimates are just wanting documentation to use to get a settlement check in their pockets...and they have NO intention of doing any of the repairs


04 D-Max Crew Dually

96 Monaco Dynasty 36'


RV-1/2n-FUN

FL.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/30/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 05:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don & Linda wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Most Insurance companies have moved away from needing estimates and you can just take your vehicle to a repair facility that is authorized in their system. Also, any needed estimates are now done by their own claim adjusters. Getting estimates at repair facilities are becoming a thing of the past when insurance is paying. When insurance doesn't pay, I would venture to guess that 9 out of ten estimates do not result in the shop making a repair. Estimates cost a shop money, they have to pay their employees whether or not it results in a repair. If they didn't charge for that estimate, they would just have to pass those costs on to those who actually chose to use the facility for their repairs. That increases the costs for the real customers. A charge for an estimate, where that charge is applied to the bill should I use that shop is fine with me.


X 2 and well said, I might add.


X 3, and what Gale also wrote.

Bucky Badger

Madison, WI

Senior Member

Joined: 11/05/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/22/12 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sc3283 wrote:

A very common thing...and this is why
employee tied up with the estimate, documentation costs with each estimate
and so many that want estimates are just wanting documentation to use to get a settlement check in their pockets...and they have NO intention of doing any of the repairs


X2....We got hail damage last spring and as soon as we pulled in for an estimate he told us it was going to be 50.00, be cause he knew the damage exceeded the value and he knew it wasn't going to be fixed.


Fred & Jodie, dogs, Mika, Keiko and Emma

2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Chris Bryant

DeLand, Florida, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2003

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV-1/2n-FUN wrote:

Don & Linda wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Most Insurance companies have moved away from needing estimates and you can just take your vehicle to a repair facility that is authorized in their system. Also, any needed estimates are now done by their own claim adjusters. Getting estimates at repair facilities are becoming a thing of the past when insurance is paying. When insurance doesn't pay, I would venture to guess that 9 out of ten estimates do not result in the shop making a repair. Estimates cost a shop money, they have to pay their employees whether or not it results in a repair. If they didn't charge for that estimate, they would just have to pass those costs on to those who actually chose to use the facility for their repairs. That increases the costs for the real customers. A charge for an estimate, where that charge is applied to the bill should I use that shop is fine with me.


X 2 and well said, I might add.


X 3, and what Gale also wrote.


X 4, TANSTAAFL.


-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the shop that was large enough to be giving one quote a day that never turned into a job and that was closed two weeks out of the year the $100 quote fee would add $25,000 to the shops annual bottom line.

That would cover the cost of a $10 an hour office person or buy a lot of paint.

I was "surprised" this week when looking at my ticket from Taco John's. Their Crunchy Chicken is still $3.69 as it has been for a long time BUT now they charge $.29 for the "free" ranch dipping sauce. Cheese dip option is now $.75 extra.

By businesses covering real cost associated with any action/service they can keep the base prices a bit lower.

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

Senior Member

Joined: 12/11/2006

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on the fee. I do estimates all the time. My verbal guestimates are free. If you want a written estimate, you pay. The fee is deducted from the actual job, when approved. Most dont mind paying the $40.00 + fee when all they are going to do is take the insurance check and use it for something else. We had a customer that did just that. The insurance co called and asked if the work was completed. I told them I never got approval or saw any $$ to special order needed parts. Well, the dumb customer spent the $$ and never took into consideration the bank still held the note. He had to come up with the $$ real quick then. Had to borrow it from relatives.


Full timing it since July 2012


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > $100 for a estimate for body damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS