|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> $100 for a estimate for body damage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can understand it. I do a lot of estimates on classic cars and I do charge a fee if it is a lot of damage. These cars as well as rv's are not listed in the computers everyone uses now and you better be experienced at judgeing how long it will take to repair the damage. Anyone can look up parts and get the prices for those. Look at it this way. You come into my shop and it could take me an hour or more to access your damage. Its the same thing I have to do when appraising a classic car. Do you expect me to do either one for you for your insurance company or bank for free? I will credit the fee back to you if we do the repairs but time is money.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs-28years
We love 56 T-Birds

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Their business, their rules. If you don't like their rules, go elsewhere!
It is really just that simple!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the 70's I worked at a body shop. Some of the owners got together and decided to start charging for estimates. A lot of backlash and in 6 months it was no more. But the time is money lost if the job is not done or done by someone else. An RV dealer a mile from me charges $80.00 for an estimate and he gets it and not just body work. He figures "don't like it go somewhere else". If work is preformed the estimate is credited.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never been charged a fee for a quote and probably wouldn't use that repair shop -- I understand the cost issue but every business spends time talking to potential customers and that's just part of doing business.

Kevin

stoversfromnj

MIDDLETOWN NJ USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we rig was having some work done we asked for an estimate to replace carpets and to lay down flooring. We were charged $100! Their hourly price. Yes it would have been deducted if we had the work done but we were no mad that we walked away with a very bad taste in our mouths. We were not even told, nor was it posted that they charged for estimates.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stoversfromnj wrote:

While we rig was having some work done we asked for an estimate to replace carpets and to lay down flooring. We were charged $100! Their hourly price. Yes it would have been deducted if we had the work done but we were no mad that we walked away with a very bad taste in our mouths. We were not even told, nor was it posted that they charged for estimates.

THAT, I agree, is just WRONG! It would only take seconds to say "We'll be glad to give you an estimate for that job, but we will have to charge XXX dollars for it, which we will credit to the invoice if you let us do the work."

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

stoversfromnj wrote:

THAT, I agree, is just WRONG! It would only take seconds to say "We'll be glad to give you an estimate for that job, but we will have to charge XXX dollars for it, which we will credit to the invoice if you let us do the work."

I agree! You are in my shop having work done now. I will spend as much time as you need to give you estimates on anything at this point. I already know you are a serious customer.

stoversfromnj

MIDDLETOWN NJ USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To top it off the estimate was for some incredible number. We paid the money and said we were going to just have to eat it!
Just bad business.

michahicks

Waterford/Gaylord, Mi

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to write a lot of estimates back when I was working on RV's. We never charged for it back then, but a lot of that was because we actually did the majority of the work we wrote. Writing them was pretty time consuming, and a totally manual process. Some could take all day, involve many phone calls. The sourcing of odd ball parts could be a real issue, and if you can't source them, it's pretty tough to just WAG the price of re-using/making them. 100. for an estimate like that would be CHEAP!

The adjusters just rewrote our estimates to fit the blanks for their estimate structure. They are/were totally clueless, and approval was almost automatic. The WAG'd parts were flagged/identified and discussed with the adjusters while the adjuster was doing the physical inspection. Generally they would agree to replace those components on a time and materials basis, or when more was known about what was involved, agree to additional charges as necessary. That to me was the scary part of doing the estimates... "Bumping" an estimate, once work has been approved, was something the adjusters frowned on. They preferred to have you estimate the cost on the high side to cover that occasion...

Today, I might charge for those unless we sold the coach, or the owner was a customer I see frequently. If the coach came in on a wrecker, pretty safe to assume we would be doing the work, so no fee there either.

1997 38' HR Endeavor, 275 Cat, Freightliner
2003 CR-V Toad, Blue Ox, Ready Brake

Buck62

Charleston, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A local body shop that has a very excellent rating for doing a great job charges $20 for a written estimate. When I asked the shop owner about the charge he told me that it takes time for him to look up the replacement parts, paint and labor and a lot of people stop by to get an estimate and never get the work done at his shop or go somewhere else. If he does the work, the estimate fee is deducted from the total bill. For me it is not a big deal because I know his shop will be doing the work on my cars. There are a couple of RV body shops in town and none charge for estimating their work.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> $100 for a estimate for body damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS