RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So there we were last Friday, all set up on our campsite in our little 5'er on a lakefront site enjoying the peace and quiet. Ducks quacking, geese honking, birds chirping, squirrl's chattering, no crowds, no kids, no barking dogs, 60 degree's and blue sky; just nice winter camping in Georgia. Saturday morning dawned nice but heavy rain was forecast for Saturday evening stretching through all day Sunday. We went to do a little antiquing Saturday midday and got back to our 5'er around 6p Saturday evening. The end of a nice day.

Then we saw them. All of them. I've never seen so many on one campsite. Approximately 20+ upper middleschool & high school age kids with all of their Boy Scout regalia. 12 tents were pitched on the RV site directly across from us. In the entire 100+ camnpsite campground with no more than a half dozen RV's parked in it, these kids just HAD to pick the RV site directly across from us to pitch their troup campout.

And were we glad they did. We've not seen a more well behaved group of young men in many, many years. It had already begun to rain lightly when we arrived back at our campsite around 6p Saturday evening. All of the Scouts were outside milling around their campsite and tents doing whatever it was that Boy Scouts do. We didn't hear any swearing, yelling, or whining. About 10p I took our two dachshunds out to potty before bed time and all 12 tents were blacked out, the whole campsite was blacked out; everyone had turned in and there was complete quiet. It was so quiet I could hear the individual rain drops hitting the ground even though 20+ young men were camped not 50' from us.

Next morning when I took our dachshunds out for their morning pee in 38 degree temps and a steady rain, all the boys were up and around making breakfast, doing chores, horsing around a little, doing whatever it is young Boy Scouts do in 38 degree rain. And again, not one swear word, no yelling, no fighting, no fussing, no complaining about the rain and the cold: Nothing!!! Just the sounds of kids having fun.

What happened next totally blew us away. A young Scout about high school age came over to our site and politely and cordially invited my wife and I to join the scout troup for breakfast. I was so shocked I didn't know what to say at first. I graciously declined because my wife had just finished preparing breakfast but I felt awful for declining. I also felt awful for initially thinking the evening before that we had been invaded by a hord of kids I wouldn't want to be in the same campground with much less camped directly across from.

And just as quickly as they came, they were gone by mid morning. Curiosity drove me to walk around their campsite later in the day on Sunday afternoon. There wasn't so much as a scrap of paper or bottle cap left behind. In fact there was no evidence what so ever that a troup of 20+ Boy Scouts had camped there. It was one of the most amazing experiences we've encountered in a long time.

I hope we get the privilege of camping near a troup of Boy Scouts again some day. Next time I'll be more prepared, as the Scouts say, to enjoy having them around.

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA:"THE SILVER FOX" or "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great to hear! We've had the same experience. Glad to see some sanity still exists in rearing kids.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great story Thanks for sharing. There may be hope yet

masa4u.com

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I bet many out there can still do the salute and recite the oath and 12 laws. I had a very unexpected opportunity to recently, and surprised myself. Not a single faulter, but wet eyes.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 Poodle

Eyegor

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As an Eagle Scout, your story warms my heart and I'll be sure to pass it on. Thank You.

87 Mallard Sprinter 24' Class C Ford E350 w/460 gas "The Runny Duck"
Shiny side up, Rubber side down.

daverich

Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Sumner, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 07:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful post. Thanks!

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had the same thing happen with both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

They always leave the campsites cleaner than they found them.

One Senior GS troop from Iowa was camped straight across the road from me; they were there to spend a few days at "Six Flags Great America".
One night we got a bunch of rain and the forecast was for more rain for the next day. One of the leaders came over and asked if there was anything to do in the area on a miserable day like that. I directed them to the Jelly-Belly plant (free tours) and the three free museums, all in Kenosha about 12 miles away.
On the morning when they left to go home, the entire troop came over to thank me and presented me with a box of GS cookies.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

wbrown62

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I began reading your story, my thoughts wandered to how disruptive this group of kids might have been, but quite the opposite was true. Thanks for the story. It was heart warming to read and just goes to show, not everybody thinks only of themselves. Thanks

2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a retired Boy Scout leader of 32 years, your experience warms my heart. Thanks for telling it. A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still hope for the future!

Happy Trails
06 Monaco Dynasty