RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sign of a deprived childhood: A kid who never went camping!!

Yes we love to see family's camping and the smiles on kids (including our grandkids) faces when they are camping.

One of the things I am most thankful of growing up is that DW and my parents were both avid campers, almost every vacation was a camping trip, and we passed that experience to our kids and they to the grandkids.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those Scouts are the ones that will grow up and become respectful campers and RVers in the future too!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son, on sun. just graduated from cub scouts to boyscouts. I think he is looking forward to all the camping trips he will be taking.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 13yrs
Daughter Marissa 12yrs
Dog Bailey

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a current adult leader in the BSA and a scout from boyhood, I started reading your post and slapped my forehead with an "oh no" but was gratefully surprised at the ending.

We took a group of Cub Scouts camping late fall last year and we worked diligently with the boys beforehand and during, to observe courtesy, conservation and respect for others and nature.

If folks take the time to invest in the future of our children, there will be much less to complain about, and more helping hands in the future.

P.S. These kids are working me to death. There's the weekend camping trip with scouts, then there's the Sunday night recovery session for the adults (but worth it!)

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

Duck

Miami Lakes, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bondebond wrote:

As a current adult leader in the BSA and a scout from boyhood, I started reading your post and slapped my forehead with an "oh no" but was gratefully surprised at the ending.

We took a group of Cub Scouts camping late fall last year and we worked diligently with the boys beforehand and during, to observe courtesy, conservation and respect for others and nature.

If folks take the time to invest in the future of our children, there will be much less to complain about, and more helping hands in the future.

P.S. These kids are working me to death. There's the weekend camping trip with scouts, then there's the Sunday night recovery session for the adults (but worth it!)

Thank you for giving your time showing the Boy Scouts the way things should be done.
Don

08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL

GMCPU53

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crickeydog

Thanks for posting such a positive story. I too started reading your story and assumed the worst was about to be told. Glad it was the other way. From the detail in your post it is clear that these youngsters had quite an impact on you.

After a constant stream of bad news every day, it is great to hear some good news.

Joe

2011 Silverado 3500HD LT4x4 Ext.Cab L/B SRW
2008 S&S Montana Ponderosa 8.5 FBSC

Cookie Mom

Poughkeepsie, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are a scouting family (both Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts) and I'm glad to hear that there were such fine young men representing the organization in such a positive way! My son is almost 16 and is in the upper ranks in his troop (he will be receiving his Lifetime rank at the next Court of Honor ceremony in a couple of weeks and will begin working toward becoming an Eagle Scout). When we camp, either with the troop or just as a family, we always abide by the rule that you leave someplace better than how you found it. Glad to hear those young men did the same.

SLOW-1

Central NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

As an Assistant Scout Master I am proud to hear of your positive experience and am sure you would have felt the same camping next to my troop.

Take time to be nice to someone today.
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 32 (454 Chevy)
Check out our first cross country trip.

jiveturkey692000

NE PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pretty great story. I also have a son in scouts. I thought oh no to lol. I passed this story along to.

Dan
96 Fleetwood Mallard, 30'
05 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke, CC, Lariat 8ft Bed "Redneck Cadillac"
82 Dodge Ram W350 4X4 Clubcab. 216,000 miles

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is actually nothing new. I have read several stories here that go the same way . . . they arrive, there is the apprehension, then the surprise, what a positive impression.

The real shame is the people who have sued the organization and the efforts to keep them from using government installations for free. With all of the problems with gangs, etc., you would think people would want to promote the organization.

BTW: It is interesting to read the history of the Boy Scouts of America. It was started by someone who encountered scouts from the same sort of organization in England and was similarly impressed.

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS