RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

This is actually nothing new. I have read several stories here that go the same way . . . they arrive, there is the apprehension, then the surprise, what a positive impression.

The real shame is the people who have sued the organization and the efforts to keep them from using government installations for free. With all of the problems with gangs, etc., you would think people would want to promote the organization.

BTW: It is interesting to read the history of the Boy Scouts of America. It was started by someone who encountered scouts from the same sort of organization in England and was similarly impressed.

See: Baden Powell.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
1982 6.2L Diesel Suburban 1500

JCGibson

In the Missouri Ozarks

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for posting this story. So many teen-agers get a bad rap now days and as a high school teacher, I must say that the "bad" kids are not representative of the majority of teens. Most of our kids are doing well and will make great leaders of tomorrow.

Hubby (USAF MSgt Retired) & Wifey (High School Teacher)
2 kids (both grown)
Boo (cat)
Bella (dog)
'11 Dodge 3500 Crewcab Diesel longbed w/Magnaflow Dual Exhaust & AFE Cold Air Induction
'14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL
'12 Voltage V3200 (sold)

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish more parents got their kids into boy and girl scouts. It teaches a lot of strong values.

Glad to have read your story!

doublenot7

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sooooo many times we have had a BSA event at the campgrounds we go to. Some of them have been with about 300 scouts running around.

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was also expecting something different... but the rest of this story was excellent. Very nice to read. I can only add that the leadership of that group (and others that show the same discipline) are to be commended.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davelinde wrote:

I was also expecting something different... but the rest of this story was excellent. Very nice to read. I can only add that the leadership of that group (and others that show the same discipline) are to be commended.

Yep, most were probably poised and ready to tell him to stop being cranky and blasting out those kids or yes, i hate it when kids camp near me! LOL

This was a wonderful thread.

RonWSl

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a former Boy Scout, father of a Scout (now a Cpl in the USMC deployed to Afganastan) and Scoutmaster, I too want to say Thank you for such a good report on those Scouts. It makes me feel good to know that there is still Scouting avaialble to teach our youth about good morals and the outdoor world. Again Thank you.
Ron S

HSIKES

Wilmington,NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

As a retired Boy Scout leader of 32 years, your experience warms my heart. Thanks for telling it. A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.

After reading all the post I am also glad to read positive post about our youth. Like several of the posters, I have MANY MANY years as as SM and also have three beads from Woodbadge. This is way back when you were invited to the week long training and fellowship.

Now as I go about life, occasionally I am approached by a young family with their small kids to young teens. As I am introduced to the family as my "SCOUT MASTER, boy we had fun together!" I guess I am getting old, but these kids don't look like they did 30 to 40 years ago.

Troop 207
Wilmington, NC

Woodbadge
"Sly Red Fox"

Horace & Bobbi
DRAKE - Yellow Lab (rescue dog)
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39 L; 4 slides; 350 Cat
2000 Saturn LW TOAD
2009 Buick Enclave CLX 2

Preach the gospel at all times. And if necessary.....use words.

dcb17b

foothills of the adirondacks

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a former boyscout I am glad to see that the BSA is still going strong. I attribute alot of my moral fiber to the teachings of the boy scouts. My son never became a scout but my wife and I made sure that our son and daughter grew up as good citizens of the world and we could not be prouder of them. Thank you for sharing a good story with the rest of us. I find that most kids that camp with their families are more respectful.

2003 Ford F150 STX Supercab
2004 Dutchmen 24QBSL

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 02:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dcb17b wrote:

As a former boyscout I am glad to see that the BSA is still going strong. I attribute alot of my moral fiber to the teachings of the boy scouts. My son never became a scout but my wife and I made sure that our son and daughter grew up as good citizens of the world and we could not be prouder of them. Thank you for sharing a good story with the rest of us. I find that most kids that camp with their families are more respectful.

My father was a boy scout in the years just after WWII. I never was in the scouts, but one of the things he brought home from my grandparents house was his manual. I have read it from cover to cover twice. Since then, we somehow came to own an updated version, perhaps from the 70s. I have read portions of it to. Some of the values they teach are there in the book, but I think it takes a parent to help their children learn how to apply those values in various situations. Your children are lucky to have parents who took the time to do that. And for those who can't translate, I just said your children are lucky to have parents who were their parents and not their friends.

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Boy Scout Campout...WOW!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS