|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Eternabond

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BARRY2010

North Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking about putting Eternabond tape along all the seams and around any place on the roof that has caulking. No leaks - just thought this may be a good preventative measure. What do you think ?

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning on doing the same. Will be interested to see what others have to say about it.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EB seems too permanent. I touch up with Dicor as needed once a year and seems good to go.

I will wait for a real disaster to pull out the EB such as a tree branch rip.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

oldbeek

lancaster CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does DICOR need to be touched up each year? Have hears this befor. Is it not the same as EDPM 2 part coating?

1994 27sl Alpenlite, 2001 Dodge Cummins auto 3.54 stock

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 09:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Barry has it exactly right...EternaBond it and forget asbout it! Do it right the first time, follow the EternaBond Website suggestions including when to use the EternaPrimer.

Rolling it out after applying is a "must do", as that's what bursts the micro-encapsulated beads in the tape, releasing the incredibly strong adhesive!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Barry has it exactly right...EternaBond it and forget asbout it! Do it right the first time, follow the EternaBond Website suggestions including when to use the EternaPrimer.

Rolling it out after applying is a "must do", as that's what bursts the micro-encapsulated beads in the tape, releasing the incredibly strong adhesive!

X2

As far as touching up the Dicor, yes it can crack through expansion and contraction over time. Not so with Eternabond.

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 02:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coat the whole roof, and forget about it, and don't worry much about branches, only the trees falling across the roof.

[ur=http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24993453.cfm]http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24993453.cfm[/ulr]

And no more white streaks.!!

There was a post recently about a guy painting whole trucks with 1/4" thick truck bedliner, and doing all the seams on a RV as well as the roof. It certainly cuts down on the rain noise.

Fred.

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oldbeek wrote:

Why does DICOR need to be touched up each year? Have hears this befor. Is it not the same as EDPM 2 part coating?

No Dicor is a caulk not a coating. Doing it every year is a myth, it will start to show it's age somewhere between 5-10 years after applying (depending on where you are in the country.) The yearly part comes from just being pro-active and checking the roof at least once a year.

ET is good, Dicor is good. ET is overkill (when no leaks) and is very ugly to my eye. That's the only reason I don't like it. Everytime I see a rig with it I think the owner must have had a leak somewhere, and is now covering up internal damage. To be found by the next owner who bought the rig. IMHO, using lots of ET decreases the resale value.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 04:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

x3, then coat it following the info posted by Golden_HVAC.

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

fordsooperdooty wrote:

x3, then coat it following the info posted by Golden_HVAC.

When we had Dicor, we fouund it MAY last 6 months before we would find little tiny pinholes (leaks). We're in Florid where the sun is hot. It doesn't take the flexing and change in temperature like Eternabond does.

We went to Eternabond and don't have to worry about it again.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Eternabond
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS