|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaskan Mosquitos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All swole up from skeeter bites, no doubt...

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along the coastal areas and in the Anchorage Area you wont find a mosquito problem, however in the interior areas of the far north they will be around.

In the Alaska Interior, the worst and most vicious mosquitoes will be present around the first or second week of June which are the second generation to sprout (the smaller ones).

I do carry spare mosquito nets whenever I go remote in the woods by road, foot, or canoe, or camping in my RV - as I rarely ever need a headnet (maybe wearing one once every two summers on average), they are real handy when lots of mosquitoes exist and are a blessing to have onhand.

As Joe B. mentioned, I also think those Cutter or Off brand citronella buckets help as well, we light those up during the patio picnics on the porch as mosquitoes seem to bother me less until I step away from the area....I stopped at Gakona RV Park in 1997 to use the shower facilities (on the Copper River side) and can contest to mosquitoes there too, there were many.

There have been occasions where I had to light up a small piece of a mosquito coil pic indoors in order to kill the nuisance mosquitos that have gotten their way in the house when trying to sleep....although it is not recommended for indoor use, that is one way of killing the mosquitoes without swatting at them....Pic coils are nice to have on patios, near doors, tents, and other outdoor lounging areas, same purpose with the citronella candles.

I lucked out on a deal when I seen Walmart having a closeout sale on pic mosquito coils a few years back (10 per box) and their price was .25 cents per box, so I purchased the last 19 boxes they had left in stock and was glad to purchase them versus the $2.50 to $3.00 they charge per box everywhere else and still have a dozen boxes left.

The worst encounter I had with mosquitoes and bugs by far was in the Northwest Territories along the Liard Trail in 2008 where it is real remote, they were so bad I was swarmed constantly despite applying deet and lotion as I was still being attacked, even the dragonflies were attacking and biting me which was my first encounter of a dragonfly ever being aggressive or attacking me....My dog had maybe 70 mosquitoes on her when running in the camper, as I had maybe another 100 more inside by the time I shut the door on the first night of boondocking there....Had to light up a pic coil fumigating inside the camper that burned for 45 minutes or so as I finally had some relief of bug attacking, and that included the non stop swatting and killing the mosquitoes by hand that I successfully had done, then opened the side windows and vent only to see many dragonflies and mosquitoes trying desperately to get thru the screens and shut the windows and vent once I got enough fresh air inside the camper.

Never had this extent of a bug problem at any other time in Alaska, Yukon, Alberta or BC as mentioned above, although some of the bug encounters were bad.

I noticed in the last two summers the yellowjackets and bees have not been as present as the recent years past from 2003 thru 2009 or so where they were the most aggressive as I ever seen in Interior Alaska, as they were aggressive like that in Washington State that I remembered.

I am a bug magnet as well...brands of Bens Deet and Cutter work for me best, Repel is ok, but the other brands I used seem useless to me after 5 minutes of applying them whether lotion or spray.

I know this friend of mine that never gets bothered by mosquitoes no matter how bad they are as everyone else including me are swatting them or applying repellent.....She claimed by taking a teaspoon of vinegar everyday for 10 years had deterred bugs away from her, as she stopped consuming vinegar for 12 years thereafter during a picnic gathering.

1970 Ford F250 2WD Sport Custom (Owned April 1996)
390 V8 (27K Rebuilt Mi) C6 Trans (211K Original Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000(Front)
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000(rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series(siped)

grant135b

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/27/12 03:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few squirts of Deep Woods Off cures that problem.

* This post was edited 08/12/12 12:42am by grant135b *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaskan Mosquitos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS