|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaskan Mosquitos

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
anconn

Qualicum Beach, B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 09:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to head up into Alask and the Yukon from May to June. Does any one know if we will be in mosquito season.

2002 Seabreeze 34' MH
2005 Jeep Liberty

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to Alaska Trekker, the worst of it is later than that.

According to my relatives in Fairbanks...be prepared for them as soon as things start to thaw out up there!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

garym114

Bluff Dale, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/12 11:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent a couple of summers on the Kenai Peninsula and there were more mosquitoes in Texas than on the river. On the up side the ones we ran across were slow.

2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On our 2009 trip we did not have too much problem with them. We saw more of them on our way through Canada.

DodgeVoltage

Nanjemoy, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 02:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lived there for 3 years (near Anchorage) and never really had any problems with them. That being said, I think they are worse in some areas than others (ie near water, in low areas, in denser forested areas, etc). The one's we did encounter near our house were slow and I don't think I ever got bitten. They just hovered around and were large. We had a stream about 500 foot from our house and if you went down there, there were more of them. Some years are worse than others. Depends on if it is a warm summer and how much rainfall.

On our way out of Alaska though, we spent the night in Tok. I must say that there was a mosquito problem there. They were thick.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 03:08am by DodgeVoltage *

2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Passion for Two
2003 Suzuki Intruder 1500LC Cruiser
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on where you are and the type of vegetation in the area. Bugs love shade, wet, and little wind. It you stay at most of the commercial campgrounds in your travels, you normally won't find too many mosquitoes. But get away from the urban areas and they can swarm you. We owned a river front lot on the Kenai River for years and until we got it cleared of underbrush, it required daily spraying to be outside the trailer. I used a propane powered fogger, a couple of times a day.
Most of the heavy bug problems are in the Interior of the state. They love water and you will find a lot of standing water, in the areas of the state with permafrost as the water can't pass through the layer of frost. Tangle Lakes/Paxson area is usually full of them. Every visitor to the state needs a few mosquito stories to tell when they get home. LOL On our last couple of trips, the most mosquitoes we ran into were around the Dawson Peaks Campground in Canada.
We do carry a couple of head nets, lots of DEET bug lotion, long sleeve shirts and gloves for the times we do run into them. However by staying more in the open, in the sunshine, out of the trees, where there is a breeze, you can avoid most of them. Every fall I used to go moose/bear hunting using my river boat on the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers, there we always camped on a sand/gravel bar out in the river, many less bugs. Lots of bugs, other than mosquitoes call Alaska and Northern Canada home. No See Ums, horse flies, yellow flies, gnats, white socks (the worst in my opinion) wasps, bees and the list goes on. I am a "bug magnet" and my wife is just the opposite. If there is a bug anywhere around, it will come for me, looking for a blood donor.
Bugs are just a part of the northern experience for most travelers. I have seen summers where there are very few bugs in Alaska, and other summers, when every step in a tundra vegetation area, will bring up what appears to be a dust cloud around your feet and legs, but they are bugs, mainly mosquitoes. Probably the reason so many different birds choose the north country as a place to hatch and raise their young. Plenty of bugs to eat, so they are good for something, I guess. LOL

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy or make a mosquito control kit. It's a block of wood and a mallet. When the mosquito lands on the block you whack it with the mallet. The hard part is getting the mosquito on the block and to sit still long enough for you to whack it.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spent the whole summer in Alaska in 2009 and have been to MANY places in the lower states that had more than Alaska. We were never bothered with them other than right after or during a rain shower. Of course we always had repellant at hand as we would in any back woods site but it worked well with that one exception.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Dr Quick

M'boro, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WE were in Alaska in 2008 for about a week, in the end of June and never had any problems with mosquitoes. More of a problem in lower Canada and the states to get to Alaska.

Dr Quick

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Alaskan Mosquitos
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS