|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/12 11:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know many on here recommend a honda or yamaha for the low noise they put out. What would be the next recommendation or two with relevance of keeping costs down? I keep going back to the idea of the Champion.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2007 Toyota Yaris (Toad)

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I would have just went for a Honda 2000i and had left the China get set in the store years ago.

When you look at use/function/life the Honda may even save you $$$.

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 01:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

I know many on here recommend a honda or yamaha for the low noise they put out. What would be the next recommendation or two with relevance of keeping costs down? I keep going back to the idea of the Champion.

what's more important to you, quiet or cheap? can't have both.
also, you don't say what you want to run with it. running the a/c will require a more powerful generator but for anything else, a 2000w will do the job.

the closest to a Honda in quietness and customer service but lower in price, would be the Champion 2000 inverter generator.
not quite as powerful as the Honda 2000 but it can be paralleled and its parallel kit is also much cheaper.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 01:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda EU3000is Genny is the way to go,it's a tad heavy but it's quiet,depenable,sits on the tray on the back of my fiver' and when i need power in the field it goes in the tool trailer and earns it's keep,just like the rest of my tools i don't like cheap junk,spend the good money up front and enjoy years of reliable service,buy junk and you'll be replacing it soon,probably when you need it the most!

* This post was edited 02/24/12 01:54pm by an administrator/moderator *

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Bl├╝cher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A used Honda from Craigslist? That will probably last over 10 years, giving a really low cost per year.

Or check out the prices at his place, includes shipping. You have to call to get the actual price, Honda stopped selling to this place when they kept internet sales prices online about 5 years back, they had to beg to get Honda to sell to them again.

Mayberrys.com

Fred.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

what's more important to you, quiet or cheap? can't have both.
also, you don't say what you want to run with it. running the a/c will require a more powerful generator but for anything else, a 2000w will do the job.

the closest to a Honda in quietness and customer service but lower in price, would be the Champion 2000 inverter generator.
not quite as powerful as the Honda 2000 but it can be paralleled and its parallel kit is also much cheaper.

Generators and quiet don't go in the same sentence. I'm not worried about the sound as much as I am cost. We don't do boondocking or haven't. Perhaps with a genny we would do some. It would also be used for somewhat use at home as we are total electric there and the power has been known to go off during storms. I am looking at the the Champion 4000/3500 and for a difference in price to a honda 3000, I don't think it would make that much difference in noise.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Golden_HVAC wrote:

A used Honda from Craigslist? That will probably last over 10 years, giving a really low cost per year.

Or check out the prices at his place, includes shipping. You have to call to get the actual price, Honda stopped selling to this place when they kept internet sales prices online about 5 years back, they had to beg to get Honda to sell to them again.

Mayberrys.com

Fred.

Have been checking craigslist for a while. Thought if I could find a reasonably priced honda that I would get it. But the few that I have seen, the people want nearly full price for them. And i'm not into spendign that much money firstly and thenon something that doesn't have a warranty.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 02:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me ask this, what all would a eu2000i run on a camper? I know it won't run the a/c, but theoretically, what else could it run?

The reason i'm asking is that the extra output of the champion is nice and for 1/3 the price. But i am wondering if the only thing it will run differently is the a/c?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

The hardest item to run on my RV is the microwave. I doubt that a single Honda would run it.

Everything else should be no problem.

I've just replaced my portable generator with a Boliy 3600 SEI unit. I require electric start and wanted to be run everything from a single unit.

If Victron inverters were not so expensive I would have gone for a smaller electric start generator.

My Kipor Ti-3500 has lasted for ten years.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 06:07am by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, Magnum 3000 watt PSW inverter.

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are looking for something that costs less than the smaller red and blue gensets, I won't tell you to buy something that costs more. If you need to run A/C along with everything else, then the most bang for the buck is indeed the Champion 3500 that is usually priced around $300. I used to have one, and it would run everything in our small TT without any problems. Sure, it's louder than a Honda, but we would use an RV electric extension cord and place it a bit aways from the trailer, thereby greatly decreasing the noise levels inside. The only downside, depending on your age, is that they weigh about 100 lbs..

I will also say that the Champion is too noisy to run in a campground when other campers are around. Actually, I wouldn't run a Honda or Yamaha in this situation either.

If you just need a small genset for other uses, then the inverter Champion has gotten good reviews. I've not used one though, so I can't tell you much about it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS