|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was the Yahoo but the generator too. I could hear his Gen inside my trailer from 6 sites away. From what I have read the only guys that think the Champion is quiet is the guys that have one. The guys that park next to one might not agree. If the Honda on ECO ( idle ) it is quiet.. Lisetn...Hear it..... I got mine running right now......

2011 Work and Play 30WR. Added 2nd AC, four deep cycle batteries.

jpjulian

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a pair of Honda 2000i's hooked up we can run anything except a 2nd roof air, which we don't have anyway. They worked really well for us on our Alaska trip in 2010. We use a heavy duty cable lock system run through the wheels for theft protection. They also transport well in the basement of our fiver.

2014 Excel Winslow 31IKE 5th wheel, 2008 Ford F-250 Extended Cab, 6.4L Diesel. Retired Illinois State Trooper. Kids gone. Dogs gone. We're gone!!

bill h

hassayampa valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

From what I have read the only guys that think the Champion is quiet is the guys that have one. ..

We have one. We think it is loud. But not as loud as a contractor style generator.

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

*snip*Champions don't have a Eco mode and in my opinion are considerably louder than a Honda 2000.
*snip*
Not true. People get a little lost along the way when casting dispersion on Champions. There are the open frame units, such as the popular 3500 and 4000 units, and there is the inverter (2000i) unit that is much quieter and has an eco mode. I can stand next to my pair, both running in parallel and eco mode and carry on a conversation without yelling. Walk a few feet away and even better. Nothing that that uses a combustion engine is quiet/silent. That's where solar panels shine (sorry the pun).

Put red/blue/yellow under full load and it's moot.

So, I do not dispute the open frame generators (Champions or even beloved Hondas) are often too loud for neighbors. But be clear about which Champion you're talking about when making sweeping accusations or statements, even though it makes for better drama.

This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To tell you the truth I have never even seen a Champion 2000i. My experience is only with the louder units that seemed to be what most peoople were buying because they were cheap. The Champion 2000i looks remarkebly similar to the little Gen sold by Costco. If the Champion 2000i is as quiet as Honda that is great. Especially if you can get it for $499. I would get two!

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the Honda/Yamaha versus the rest of the world quiet generator discussions in the forums always boils basically down to something like - "Of course I'd like a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator, but they're priced too high."

There's the problem right there ... those little portable Honda and Yamaha generators have been priced way too high way too long. Their development costs for their inverter generator designs have long ago been paid for. Now the two companies are just milking the market with a bit too high margins on their generators because some folks keep-on paying it.

Soon (if not already) one of their Ch**ese manufactured competitors will get just the right mix of quality and reliability into their inverter generators and then finally, goodby to sky-high Honda and Yamaha inverter generator prices!

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

1L243

Roseburg Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, and maybe Ferrari will drop their price to the cost of a Kia and Harley's will sell for the cost of a Suzuki....

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 11:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

All the Honda/Yamaha versus the rest of the world quiet generator discussions in the forums always boils basically down to something like - "Of course I'd like a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator, but they're priced too high."

There's the problem right there ... those little portable Honda and Yamaha generators have been priced way too high way too long. Their development costs for their inverter generator designs have long ago been paid for. Now the two companies are just milking the market with a bit too high margins on their generators because some folks keep-on paying it.

Soon (if not already) one of their Ch**ese manufactured competitors will get just the right mix of quality and reliability into their inverter generators and then finally, goodby to sky-high Honda and Yamaha inverter generator prices!

Over the past decade I have watched the price of the Honda 2000i go up . . . by all of $100. That is 10% in ten years. So they have recovered their development costs, otherwise, inflation dictates the cost would be much more than what it is now. One sure way for Honda to reduce that price would be to shift manufacturing to China.

Sometime in the past couple of months a Honda employee came on this forum and asked us what we would change about the 2000i. Most of the requests would result in a very slight increase in price (maybe a dollar or two). But one of the things a lot of people said was eliminate the 12 volt output. Not sure how much that would drop the price if they did it.

At this point, without a lot of experience in the manufacturing world, I can't imagine a way to reduce the price without sacrificing their stellar reputation for quality. And I think that applies to both red and blue.

Note: When my old Coleman generator had about a third of the hours on it that my Honda have now, I had to replace the motor because it was worn out. I have no experience with the yellow -- how many hours can you get out of the engine with proper maintenance?

ERS

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 11:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Yes, and maybe Ferrari will drop their price to the cost of a Kia and Harley's will sell for the cost of a Suzuki....

.... a non-sensible analogy.

A Honda 2000 inverter generator is (now) no Ferrari as compared to it's modern very close competitors manufactured in you-know-where.

However "very close" is not good enough for those who will still manage to pony up the big bucks to feed Jap**ese profit margins.

bondebond

Searcy, AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

To tell you the truth I have never even seen a Champion 2000i. My experience is only with the louder units that seemed to be what most peoople were buying because they were cheap. The Champion 2000i looks remarkebly similar to the little Gen sold by Costco. If the Champion 2000i is as quiet as Honda that is great. Especially if you can get it for $499. I would get two!
I would love to get a real-world test of a side by side sound comparison. I know the ratings on paper are close, but dB ratings aren't all of the picture, when the human ear's perception is where it truly counts. I know that, empirically, a sound meter is scientific, but my ears don't necessarily follow the scientific method.
Regardless, the Honda EU3000iS is 49-58dB, the EU3000i is 57-65dB, the EU2000i is 53-59dB. The Champion 2000i is 53-?dB (I couldn't find the upper range at full speed, anyone?). I have an hour meter/rpm gauge on my Champions and at no load, runs at 3,000 rpm on econ. It jumps up to 4,500 rpm in full mode. I don't have any way to measure decibels.

There's no doubt in my mind that the Honda's have more on-board sustainable power than the Champions. I bought knowing I wasn't getting the Ferrari. I would if I could! Don't get me wrong. But I have no concerns that my generators, used in areas where they are allowed, will be any more invasive than any other on the market. Unless you are sitting on top of mine, in which case, you've probably been offered a cold something or other to drink. Come on by.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS