|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

Even though I hate buying from China over the US, I will say that their imports are getting a lot better. .

Can you even tell me if there is a North American built portable generator?

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

Even though I hate buying from China over the US, I will say that their imports are getting a lot better. .

Can you even tell me if there is a North American built portable generator?

Onan comes to mind, although some models use a Kubota (Japanese) engine. Generac also states theirs are also US made. Caveat: I wouldn't call the inbuilt Onan/Generac gensets really portable.

Inverters, you have two choices: Japan, or China.

CPE is an American company, but all their factory work is done out of a coastal Chinese province.

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbrule wrote:

Ric Flair wrote:

Champion 3500/4000. $300 bucks, runs 15,000 BTU AC and microwave.

Use it for NASCAR events and horse shows if we don't have hook ups.

In other words, I use it in places where the crotchety old coots usually don't camp.

That is a rude comment..........

There are folks on here that take it personally that anyone would consider purchasing a 4000 watt Champion gennerator, and they let it be known. If you've spent any time reading these generator threads you know what I'm talking about.

If the shoe fits......

2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlts22 wrote:

I don't think I'm a crotchety old coot, but when I'm standing in my truck bed with my generator in it running full tilt (eco mode switch off + full A/C load) and I can't hear my generator at all (although can feel it) over a generator 75 feet away, I do think some generators are too loud for anything but construction or a NASCAR event...

Only you know if you are, or aren't, but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt .

First, the Champion isn't a contractor generator.

Second, you make my point, in that every generator has it's right application. I use mine at the appropriate venues, which would NOT include RV rallies populated by octogenarians who find grumbling about their neighbors to be the #1 pastime. If it wasn't my generator it would be the music, the dog, the kids, well....you know I'm right

WHS

Waitsburg, Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have run my 13500 a/c with a EU2000i, so has my brother on his Artic Fox. It will also run the microwave and this is actually more of a struggle than the ac. Just depends on if you have the soft start for your ac.

skip

05' Layton Lite 170LT Cascade edition
06' Chevy Silverado K1500
We-No-Nah Rendevous, a Ljutic, a Remington, a Hard Rock Pro, a Polaris 550XP & Raleigh the Hunter

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

Let me ask this, what all would a eu2000i run on a camper?

Anything that uses less then 16.7 amps. 2000i specs

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (the Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

WARNING: Do not grow up. It's a trap!

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Honda 3000i doubles as backup power for my house. I put in a 6 circuit gen switch into the panel and selected the 6 most needed circuits in the house.

1. Kitchen for fridge and microwave
2. living room for light and television/cable/stereo
3. Family room for light and fish tank
4. Den for computer/internet modem
5. Bedroom for light and television
6. Garage for door opener and most important, the BEER FRIDGE!

I have a wood stove for heat. At night, I setup the same electric heater I use in the trailer in the bedroom.

It's not often we use it for camping, since we reserve our trips and get the pick of sites that have at least electric hookups. For the off times we might find ourselves without electric, the gen has been nice for that.

I have a hook rigged up in the garage and use a come-a-long to haul the #150+ Honda into the back of the truck. I just run it from there as needed. Works fine.

You would be surprised how 'loud' even a Honda is in the quiet of a forested camp ground... It was around 9am and I had it running because I wanted to get an early jump on charging the batteries and I went to the restroom which was a couple hundred yards away and I could hear it all the way to and from it. Sure, it was not obnoxiously loud, but you knew it was running... I was in the 'tent' section of the park, and I asked the neighboring camper if the gen was bothering them and they said they didn't even know it was running.... I still tried to keep the gen use to a minimum, because I was still sensitive to it..

That's my story!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

Bipeflier

Centralia, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not giving up my Champion!!

2010 Cruiser CF30SK Patriot
2011 Duramax
1950 Right Hand Seat GPS (she tells me where to go)

JayGee

Round and round

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ric Flair wrote:

mlts22 wrote:

I don't think I'm a crotchety old coot, but when I'm standing in my truck bed with my generator in it running full tilt (eco mode switch off + full A/C load) and I can't hear my generator at all (although can feel it) over a generator 75 feet away, I do think some generators are too loud for anything but construction or a NASCAR event...

Only you know if you are, or aren't, but I'll give you the benifit of the doubt .

First, the Champion isn't a contractor generator.

Second, you make my point, in that every generator has it's right application. I use mine at the appropriate venues, which would NOT include RV rallies populated by octogenarians who find grumbling about their neighbors to be the #1 pastime. If it wasn't my generator it would be the music, the dog, the kids, well....you know I'm right

I'm not sure why people thing that NASCAR races are the place to run loud generators. They are just as irritating there as they are anywhere else. It does not matter if it is a contactors generator or what category you put it in, loud is not pleasant to be around.

A number of years ago some genius thought he would get a large gas generator to run two camping trailers. I think it was about 10000 watts. It sounded like a helicopter was landing there. He didn't make many friends with that thing. And, after a lot of input from neighbors he didn't run it very much thank goodness.

Ric Flair

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JayGee wrote:

I'm not sure why people thing that NASCAR races are the place to run loud generators. They are just as irritating there as they are anywhere else. It does not matter if it is a contactors generator or what category you put it in, loud is not pleasant to be around.

A number of years ago some genius thought he would get a large gas generator to run two camping trailers. I think it was about 10000 watts. It sounded like a helicopter was landing there. He didn't make many friends with that thing. And, after a lot of input from neighbors he didn't run it very much thank goodness.

I heard some REALLY loud gennys at Talladega last year too so I understand what you're saying.

Can we also agree that the Champion 3500/4000 does not fit what you're describing?

It seems that some folks (not you) seem to lump every generator that's not a Honda/Yammy into the "obnoxious contractor" class.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generators
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS