RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Canceled my Caravan trip, Going on my own!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Canceled my Caravan trip, Going on my own!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have witnessed caravan travelling and talked to ones doing it.We know that you meet and mingle much more with the locals,learn much more about the area by doing it not in a caravan.We have seen many caravans pull into a camp ground ,get out the lawn chairs etc. make a circle and totally miss the opportunity of meeting others.We go and talk and see and do what we want for as long as we want,love to visit over the fire in the evenings,with the staff,etc.It is just not my style and I am more then capable of doing my own thing,if I would ever feel I needed to do it for safety I would not travel that area.

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

You will save money but probably miss much of the reason for hooking up with the caravan in the first place. They know the territory better than anyone and have planned the caravan to be the most efficient use of time and miles.

This is 1 of the big misconceptions of caravaning.
Also on the caravans I went on if you got sick or broke down the caravan moved on. The tail gunner stayed behind for one day. If you were not well enough or repaired in that day the tailgunner left you and caught up with the caravan. The sick and broken down were left to thier own resources. Seen it happen 3 different times on two different caravans in Mexico.

We're in Arizona

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitch5252 wrote:

Count me in! Leaving NW TN in mid-May - first solo trip as a new widow!

Fear or Excitement - don't know which is the strongest emotion.

I really admire you for taking off on your own! There are many solo folks on the road in RVs and you're sure to meet many new friends. Pick up some Sue Henry paperbacks - she writes about a single gal traveling alone in an RV. A couple are based in Alaska. Fun reads. I gathered up the whole series before the Alaskan trip, planning to read them while traveling. I returned to the lower 48 with all of the unread books! There's so much to see and do on the trip that I didn't have time to read!!! Have a great trip to everyone who is going this summer.

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

mitch5252

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie wrote:

Good for you! We are going on our own too. About the middle of March we should get a headcount or "road call" to see how many Forum members will be going and some identifying characteristics (assuming you want to be identified). We plan to leave the first week of June from Western NC. lizzie

Count me in! Leaving NW TN in mid-May - first solo trip as a new widow!

Fear or Excitement - don't know which is the strongest emotion.

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

Alaskan Class C

Anchorage

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 02:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have fun on your trip THe scenery is great all the way up here, I hope to someday load up the family and go on vacation to the lower 48...

Gas has Jumped to $3.99 a gallon as of this morning in Anchorage. It was $3.82 Thursday afternoon. And last weekend it was $3.67. The prices are jumping fast up here. Tok and Glen Allen are usually .30-.40 cent higher than in Anchorage. Even Palmer and Wasilla are usually a few cents higher as well.

When the gas jumps down there it takes about a week or so for it to jump up here.

1978 Itasca, It's old but I own it....

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lizzie wrote:

...We had this same situation with fuel costs when we went to Newfoundland in 2008. We just decided to eat less and keep going. Shrunk our waistlines and expanded our horizons...

Great philosophy! I'll have to remember that when I start trying to justify the cost of our next trip.

Jim

'04 Provan Tiger CX

quoyfab

Northeast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good choice indeed. A few have mentioned getting 'Milepost' and I wholeheartedly agree. I saw no mention of getting 'Toursaver' though.
I highly recommend looking into buying that as well. Huge savings if there are 2 of you and you plan on any excursions.

toursaver.com

ps Iditarod starts next weekend..

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I cannot imagine the cost of the liability insurance that these caravan companies must pay, especially if they are for-profit organizations. I operated a recreational activities company (hiking/canoeing) in Florida in the 1980's and the cost of insurance plus the anxiety of looking after paying customers was too much for me. I still lead trips, but only for non-profits where I can be covered as a volunteer and not paid. i think the caravans probably earn their money, but they are not for me just yet. lizzie

NCWriter

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

We have often thought of going on a caravan but they are simply pricing themselves out of the market; too rich for my blood!

X2. Noticed one for Atlantic Canada that costs at least double, probably more, than what we will spend on our own.

And for me, half the fun is planning and researching...and "discovering" on our own.

2006 Leisure Travel Van Free Spirit Sprinter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Canceled my Caravan trip, Going on my own!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS