RV.Net Open Roads Forum: New to travel trailers and just purchased an 05 Aerolite 26'

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New to travel trailers and just purchased an 05 Aerolite 26'

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
wmellott

Duncansville, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2010 Toyota 4Runner that has a towing capacity of 5000lbs (trailer is 4300lbs dry weight). After speaking to a few people we added the trailering brake and sway bar. Any advice for us since this is all new?

dalmationlovers

Bremerton, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't have much room for stocking your trailer. The towing capicity is based on a driver 150# and fuel no extras. How many in your family? Do you have a WTD hitch? It won't be a pleasant towing experience. I had the same issue 2 years ago. We were towing about 6000# loaded with a towing cap of 6400#. We sold the trailer after that year and went with a MH. If you have hills to climb it may be difficult.

Good Luck
Arnold

BettynLen

Hendersonville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You didn't mention which engine your Toyota has, but you are going to be almost right at the limit before you even begin stocking your trailer. I have a trailer with a 4000 lb dry weight, but loaded for an extended trip it goes closer to 6500 lbs.

CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure as you read more you will learn that you should not base the weight on the dry weight. I'm guessing you will be exceeding your towing capacity. Hopefully you are just going to be making short trips.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

rovobay

Damascus, Oregon (Portland Suburb)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Luck! Hope you can get a WD hitch. plan a short level trip for the first outing to see how she does!

1999 Cameo by Carriage 26FLS bought in February 2012 (our first trailer)

TV is a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4X4 Crew Cab Short Bed with a 6.6l Duramax and Allison Transmission

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you must have a v-6, to have the 5000lbs. limit.

is the 4300lbs. the brochure "dry" weight or the factory sticker dry weight?

either way, you're going to be over the 4-runner's max with hardly anything in the trailer. even a good WDH with sway control isn't going to make this combo safe.

if it's the brochure "dry" weight, that's a fictional weight. no trailer weighs that, once it leaves the factory because it doesn't have the weights of "options" that nearly all trailers have. like the oven, a/c, awning, spare tire, and so on.

if it's the actual sticker weight, which will include the weights of the options, that's still without the weight of a battery, propane, water and your cargo.
so, add the 40lbs. of a battery, 40lbs. for propane and about 250lbs. for the water and you're now at 4630lbs. before you've started loading your cargo.
and the weights of anyone or anything in the Toyota, will subtract from that 5000 number.

the brake controller is required by law and are you saying that you only have a sway bar and no WDH, with a 26' TT?
i think you should have come here earlier, before buying your trailer.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 12:22pm by bikendan *

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PenMan

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to let us know when you get your new truck. I've been where you are now. I bought the trailer and was told by the dealer that my E150 van (had the biggest V8 Ford put in the van) would have no problems pulling my HTT. And it really didn't have any trouble until I came to the first hill. I upgraded my TV soon after finding this forum and now I'm ready for the next step of a larger trailer.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My daughter has the 4-runner I think and the factory hitch on it is the small version one-inch wide hitch. Its not a 2010 however...

I think you are going to be on the light side using this truck... You living in the PA mtns is going to hard to avoid any mtn roads. I made a similar boo-boo on a bigger scale trying to tow a new 8800 lbs Flagstaff 8528RESS fifth wheel with a 2004 F150 5.4 Triton V8 with 3.73 gears in it... The local dealer ends up telling you anything to make the sale. My F150 did tow it ok but when I got to the hill country of VA it was Katie Bar the Door. The trailer had full control of me instead of me having control of it... I made one white knuckle run with it and now the 2005 fifth wheel sits in my camp backyard. I would really dread meeting a big tractor trailer loaded down with Georgia Pine trees on a two lane road on US82 with him doing 70MPH and me doing 55. I know exactly how that gush of wind hitting me would turn out. I would be in the ditch... Once you buy one and gots payments its hard to get rid of them... Only got maybe four more years left on payments now then I will will donate it to the kids I guess...

We use it here at the house for another bedroom and a TAX write-off and the grandkids have all the fun in it spending the nights with us... Its a great getaway for us to but it never got to see the camping tour... I probably put 250 miles on it...

After that I got the OFF-ROAD 14RT POPUP you see here in the signature section and have towed probably a good 100K miles now. My F150 trucks doesnt even know it is back there. I get 20-21MPG all the time when pulling the POPUP... Of course it doesnt catch any wind back there... There is only two of us camping and we love the camping off the power grid. We happy campers....

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wmellott wrote:

We have a 2010 Toyota 4Runner that has a towing capacity of 5000lbs (trailer is 4300lbs dry weight). After speaking to a few people we added the trailering brake and sway bar. Any advice for us since this is all new?

Not much advice other than to try it out and see how you like it. Not trying to hurt your feelings or bash you but this is not the first time I've seen someone buy a trailer THEN start asking questions. Look at the GVWR rating on the trailer. That is closer to what you will be at loaded. The dry weight means nothing because trailers are never "dry" when in use.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Cedarhill

Deep South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is some more probable bad news. Even if you are somehow able to keep the overall weight below 5000 pounds, you are most likely going to exceed the limits on tongue weight. It is important to note that this limitation is there even if you use a weight distributing hitch.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New to travel trailers and just purchased an 05 Aerolite 26'
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS