RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drippin wrote:

Look at used Diesels. We were able to find a 2 year old Ram with the 6.7, 22K miles for around $25K. It may take some looking but in our case we found a truck that was in great shape, lots of factory warranty left, and about 1/2 the cost of new.

Thats almost stealing. In my area a 2 yr old Ram 2500 diesel goes for $33-40,000. Figuring its a 2009.

tshirtman

Carson City, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yea, been looking for a used one also but the cost is almost the same as new and you don't get any warenty (2011 2500DL 44K miles 31,9K)

rpounds

California - I'm not old, so how am I a

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Flight 33RLDS wrote:

We purchased our Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9L Cummings Diesel new in July 2003. We pull our 8,000 lbs. 2011 Jayco 33RLDS at the speed limit with EZ with this guy. At work I have a 2005 21 foot 2500 lbs. Horton Hauler Cargo trailer that I max out at 5500 lbs. on occasion. We use a gas powered ¾ Chevy Suburban to pull this guy. My Dodge and my 8,000 lbs. Jayco are like being on vacation. The Horton Hauler Cargo trailer and the gas powered ¾ Chevy Suburban at work are exactly that, “work”. Go with the diesel and of course I recommend the Dodge Ram. We continue to absolutely love our 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9L Cummings Diesel after 9 years of ownership…

I agree . . . except that it's 'Cummins' . . . no 'G'

'05 Dodge Ram CTD Quad Cab 4x4
'11 Dutchmen 277RLS
Our Blog

longarrow

Copperas Cove, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the diesel! As to wanting a new one in 7 years, that up to you. I purchased mine in 2000 (it's an '01) It's 11+ years old, 300,000 miles, runs as good or better than the day I drove it home! I tow a 30'er and intend to keep the truck til' I die!!!

timc1207

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Diesel is the way to go. I curtently have an F250 with the V10 that does well pulling my Forest River Wildwood but gas mileage ist pretty scary. I plan on going to a diesel in the next 2 years when I get my next TV.

2008 Forest River Wildwood Le 27BHBS - 2010 Dodge 2500 Laramie Mega cab 6.7L Cummins diesel, Flo-Pro exhaust, XRT Pro tuner, Mygig Lock Pick, Access tonneau cover, Ranch Hand grill guard, KC daylighters.

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

jerem0621 wrote:

I vote gasser.

Personally, I hate the diesel sound. Drove lots of them, power strokes as cummins. No Duramx yet though. And no I am not comparing my little gasser to a diesel.

The 5 minutes or so that the motor is turning high revs while climbing a mtn is off set by a mostly quiet drive the rest of the time.

For me and the dw the sound of the diesel is a big turn off. Simply can't compare the in cab sound of my fil 99 7.3 F250 to the in cab sound of my 5.4. Yes that's silly, but it's true.

My dw can't stand the diesel smell so even if I really wanted one I would still buy a gasser for her. The tv is her daily driver. So no diesel.

Admittedly, the new diesels are a lot quieter.

At the end of the day it is your money, get what you want. Not what somebody else thinks you need.

Thanks!

Thanks

The noise and odor that you list as objections have been addressed. My RAM is quieter going down the road than my wife's 2007 Chrysler and I can't smell the trucks exhaust even in the garage.

One less thing for me to complain about . Lol. Thanks for the info

Tent: Ozark Trails Cabin Tent (circa 1993)
Pack Mule: 2013 Kia Sorento

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

Drippin

Dripping Springs, TX - just West of Weird

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

Drippin wrote:

Look at used Diesels. We were able to find a 2 year old Ram with the 6.7, 22K miles for around $25K. It may take some looking but in our case we found a truck that was in great shape, lots of factory warranty left, and about 1/2 the cost of new.

Thats almost stealing. In my area a 2 yr old Ram 2500 diesel goes for $33-40,000. Figuring its a 2009.

That was an 07 that we got in 09. Not saying you can match that deal but I have seen some good deals on used Diesels in Texas with reasonable miles. I would think that it is reasonable to find a truck about 3 years old for 50 to 60% of the new cost.

2008 Laredo 284BHS, 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 6.7CTD, Equal-i-zer, P3, Subaru RG4300iS

CakeHenn

Temple, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a fun thing to "have to make a choice" on. It really seems like this comes down to if you want to have extra power or be more economical. With the 5er you mentioned the gasser will handle the job...I don't think anyone will dispute that...it really just comes down to you want to pay a premium for the extra power. I doubt you will have the truck long enough or drive if far enough that the diesel somehow become the better economical choice and even if you do drive it a long time there is no way of telling if it really will be better economically...but we do know that break even would be a very long way down the road.

I think you can justify doing either. I'd take a hard look at your finances. Do you have everything in place...can you afford the luxury...really all of this is luxury the truck and the RV. The normal thing to do is to not worry about your finances in the least...lol...but the normal thing is also for people to live paycheck to paycheck and have very little savings.

I think all points both sides are perfectly valid...but really only you can determine what's right for you...or maybe with the help a financial counselor, pastor, whatever....but I think people here pretty much will just answer this question based on what they would do...but they have a different set of goals and experiences that lead them to those decisions.

Good luck...either way you will have a ball with the new truck and 5er I'm sure.

TT: 2013 Jayco Eagle 314
Truck: 2006 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Duck Gun: Benelli Super Black Eagle II

Wxguru

Austin,AR

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finding a used 3yr old for 50-60% of new, is most likely going to be a 2 wheel drive. 4 wheel drives are going to still be substantially more unless it has quite high mileage. I have priced 06-07 Dodge mega's 4X4 (5.9L) with 80K-100K, and most are still in the $28-32K range (about 65-70% msrp at that age). Deals can be had if you happen to find them...craigslist is a good source for some of those steals. Some of the first '07 megacabs with the 1st gen 6.7L jokes, can be had really cheap. Easy to fix them too....just toss on a dpf delete kit and you pretty much are good to go.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Bighorn, 6.7L CTD
2011 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28A+KS
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie, 6.7L CTD--Owned 1 week!
2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X2, 5.7L HEMI--Retired Dec 2012

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS