RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
tshirtman

Carson City, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at getting a new trailer this spring and it weighs 7300 dry and 9600 fully loaded.
Currently have a half ton and can not pull the new rig.
Getting mixed feed back on what to get. I like the Deisel but a friend told me not to spend the extra money as I will want to get a new one in 7-8 years anyway and the rest of the truck will start having issues(not the deisel) Feed back would be much apreciated.

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For truly enjoyable towing without stress, get the diesel. Don't let your friend bog you down about what may happen 7-8 years from now or the price of fuel. You buy it to tow, and that is what it will do!

6.7 tow rig

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will tell you that obviously a 3/4 ton gas or diesel will handle that weight with ease. I can also tell you that pulling that weight with a diesel will be a breeze. The main reason I got rid of a gas engine was when pulling hills I cant stand the 4000 rpm range engine and roar where alot of gas engines make their power. I know there is nothing wrong with that I just prefer the nice quiet, constant power that a diesel puts out. Pulling hills at the speed limit is also a plus. I cant speak for the hemi, but the Cummins sure does have a good reputation. If I was buying right now thats what I would get.

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins H.O 4x4 3.73 rear end
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

Crazyfoe

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are in the same situation that I was in a year ago. My TT is basically the same weight as yours and more than likely I traverse the same passes and cg as you do. The truck wasn’t going to be a daily driver and the gasser was 10k+ less than the diesels with 50k less in miles. I didn’t want a car payment and didn’t “need” a diesel. Would I have purchased one at the correct price all things considered perhaps, but I know how to work on gassers and they are less expensive to maintain. Yes the diesels get better gas mileage but they cost more to purchase and maintain…. The diesel engines may in fact last longer than my gasser but in my case my truck is exactly the same as the duramax minus the engine. At some point while the engine may last the same parts as on a gasser will need repair and a rebuilt on a gasser is less than a diesel.

If you are regularly traveling at very high altitudes then a diesel is certainly a better choice. I hit Mammoth via 7 mt passes w/ my gasser and preformed perfect, the need or desire for additional torque and hp just was never needed as I was always traveling at the posted speed limits or slightly above…

04' Chevy Silverado 2500HD 496 cu in - Allison
'06 Keystone Cougar 304BH
1 Honda eu2000i generator
Drawtight Activator
Huskey Weight Distribution System
1 Spazzed Weimaraner

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, for the work load, I like diesel. Yeah, it cost more upfront, but the expense is recouped on the back end. Plus, while I'm paying about $.50 per gal. more on fuel, I get approximately 25% better mileage than the comparable V-10. My 99 1/2 7.3 only has 240k on her and may outlast me.

RVn Full-time

tshirtman

Carson City, Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks much- that is what i thought all a along as we live in the mountians and pull the grade to got to Tahoe and the hemi just goes
glug-glug-glug at 45 mph and i piss off all the traffic behind me
all the way up the grade.

I love this forum and all you fellow RVers

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for instance, South Bound from Reno, doing the speed limit up and down the hills, I don't have to touch my brakes until just before the the stop sign at the bottom of the ramp to CC with the exhaust brake. Have fun shopping.

2008 Dodge 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

halibutman214

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had gassers with big V-8's for 35 years pulling everything from boats to farm machinery. Always got where I was going. In 2008 however I got my first Diesel.
WOW, what a monumental difference in towing. I had a Toy Hauler when I got the Diesel and I had no idea what a joy it could be to pull something. Absolutely effortless and with the jake they have on all the new trucks (I think) what an absolute pleasure it is to come down off those long hills. So long as I have something to tow I would never go back. To me it's worth every penney including the fuel. The ONLY caveat to this might (and I do say might) be if I had to use my truck as a daily commuter.

2008 Dodge Ram 6.7 Laramie SRW SB
2012 Keystone Passport 26BHWE
2009 Lance 830 with Tent foldout
20' North River Seahawk Boat
2005 Honda VTX1300

Jay Flight 33RLDS

Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We purchased our Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9L Cummings Diesel new in July 2003. We pull our 8,000 lbs. 2011 Jayco 33RLDS at the speed limit with EZ with this guy. At work I have a 2005 21 foot 2500 lbs. Horton Hauler Cargo trailer that I max out at 5500 lbs. on occasion. We use a gas powered ¾ Chevy Suburban to pull this guy. My Dodge and my 8,000 lbs. Jayco are like being on vacation. The Horton Hauler Cargo trailer and the gas powered ¾ Chevy Suburban at work are exactly that, “work”. Go with the diesel and of course I recommend the Dodge Ram. We continue to absolutely love our 2003 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9L Cummings Diesel after 9 years of ownership…

Mark
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad-Cab 5.9 L Cummins diesel
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS G2 TT
Equal-i-zer®'s 4-Point Sway Control
Goldline RV Cover

wcjeep

Tacoma, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At that weight the diesel can do the speed limit up/down the hills. Exhaust brake keeps the vehicle service brakes cool for emergency braking.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Dodge 2012 2500 Deisel or gas ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS