|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Newb Question on Battery Charging

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
freddc1

NY-PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We picked up our new Kodiak on Saturday and brought it out to the lot near the house. Still winterized but hope to get it on the road soon and we're really pleased. One of the many questions that went through my head after the orientation had to do with charging the 12v trailer battery. I know the truck will charge it on the road through the 7-pin connection but not sure if were in the cg with available power or even our generator hookup, will those charge the 12volt batteru also, or does it gets charged just from the truck? I appreciate the help. thank you.

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Move from folding trailer forum

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your TT has a converter and most do, all you have to do is plug in the cord from the Tt into the CG electrical box and the converter will charger your battery. there are basically three ways to charge the battery, from the truck whole driving down the road from the converter via the power cord and using a car battery charger hooked directly to the battery. the converter will put more amps into the battery thus charge it faster than any other mode or method

KenandPamfromMI

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, it will charge when plugged in at the campground (often referred to as "shore power"), or the tow vehicle, or generator, or with an adapter for your home. The battery is mainly used when you are "dry camping" meaning no hookups to water, electric, etc...it does run the fridge while traveling, but the fridge should have an automatic changeover when connected to 30 amp at the CG.

freddc1

NY-PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all, thanks for the quick responses, very helpful. As you can imagine, lots to remember. As to the fridge, i did ask hows it work driving down the road full of food. I'm pretty sure the salesman said i needed both 12 volt for the electronics, but it should also be running on propane for the actaul cooling. Does that sound right. It's new trailer so whatever is current in way of setup etc. thank you

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

freddc1 wrote:

Hi all, thanks for the quick responses, very helpful. As you can imagine, lots to remember. As to the fridge, i did ask hows it work driving down the road full of food. I'm pretty sure the salesman said i needed both 12 volt for the electronics, but it should also be running on propane for the actaul cooling. Does that sound right. It's new trailer so whatever is current in way of setup etc. thank you

This is correct.

You need 12V power from the battery for fridge control electronics. But the actual cooling is with propane. You may have a switch that sets to "auto" that will automatically switch it to 120V when the trailer is plugged in.

We made a 3 ring binder with page protectors and put the manuals for the RV and all components in the binder. We referred to it pretty often during the first few uses. So keep it in the camper.

Most people only get 5-7 amps/hr charging through the alternator, while driving with the 7 pin connector hooked up. That is due to the small gauge & length of wiring between the alternator & battery.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

freddc1

NY-PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, thats a good idea with the manual. Probably be keeping it under my pillow first few months, but is lots of fun learning all this new stuff.

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 01:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your camper is not plugged into shore power while in storage I would disconnect the battery. Campers will have propane/CO detectors and some other items which will drain a battery in storage if not plugged in. I would disconnect the battery (mark the lead's polarity for later re-install) and take it home and charge it. A discharged battery is more likely to freeze since your are up in the northeast.

Bonefish

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is what I do when I am going down the road. I for one do not like running the frig on propane while driving. What we do, is I put small reusable ice packs in and around the food during the day. then at night when we park and are asleep I put the ice pack in the freezer to refreeze then start all over the next day. have never lost any food and never had a problem with the frig.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh no... You mentioned running your fridge on gas when driving!

You are in for it now!

Mitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Newb Question on Battery Charging
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: