RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: ADVICE on shortbed Lance slideout or similar

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> ADVICE on shortbed Lance slideout or similar

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
reax22

phx

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I AM looking at a Lance 855s for my dodge 2500 hd diesel quad cab, never owned a TC but always dreamed of seeing Alaska and beyond via my windshield, camping out and sitting by the fire. anyone have the lance 8 series? pics.

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I odered an used Lance 815 2007, and it fit on short bed F250. The dry weight is 1775" with the extended cabover, GVWR of the truck is 10 000, I think that it will be ok, maybe a little overlaoded of 100 or 200" whith Wife's dresses

here a picture without the Torklift, the dealer put them today. The camper now is ready for shipping to France.

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

elkhornsun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 11:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Each slide-out adds 500 lbs. to the dry weight of the camper which decreases the amount of gear, food, water, etc. by that amount. I also would be concerned about the utility of the camper for quick stops as the slide-out is for the seating area in the camper. Although the extra space is great the cons outweigh the pros for me.

bobndot

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 01:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having the extra room is nice but...there are more important things to consider that can make or break your trip.
I would use a non slide on a 2500. Save as much weight as you can .
It will be easier to heat , if need be.
If it snows, expect to climb onto the roof to clear a slideout in order to close it.

Check your trucks payload and axle ratings, find some real numbers, weigh your truck alone and see what it really weighs. Then you will see what size and weight camper will fit .
Try not to overload the rear axle, thats where you will be carrying most of your weight. Over 6000# will be on the rear axle .
A non slide Lance SB tc will be in the 3000-3500# range rolling down the road. Some non slides will be a little more .

Pick a model with the COG in front of the rear axle for better handling and weight transfer.

If your truck uses a rear mounted spare tire. I would move it to a front mounted rack.
It transfers weight as well as makes it a lot easier to change a flat with a camper on it.

Good luck , Bob .

Reelescape1

Charleston

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Lance 820 on the same sb truck 2007. It's loaded including genny and HEAVY. I don't like the idea of a slide and not having full access unless the slide is out.

Kalabin

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have a lance 855-s, but I did go look at one when we were camper shopping. The one down side with the 855-S model was it seemed like you could not use it unless the slide was out. So if you wanted to pull over, make lunch or use the bathroom you were pretty limited. However the non-slide version of the 855 was pretty dang nice, and very comparable to the wolf creek I went with.

2013 F150 Ecoboost, FX4, Crew Cab, Max Tow, 402A Package "loaded"

jimh425

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If all you are going to do is sleep, you can get by with a popup camper and still have heat, shower, toilet, and stove. Where the slideout or slideouts excel is after you are setup/stopped. That being said, slideouts don't stick out that far, and I find mine not much of an issue on the side of the road. Think of the case when you pull off the road...almost every time, the slide can go out without getting anywhere near anything even if you park right next to a guard rail.

If you really want to carry a lot of extra stuff, pull a trailer, but also buy a different truck and buy a 11 1/2 triple slide. I think it's better to make sure that you only bring with you the stuff you need. There are lots of ways to save weight. You can do some searches here to get more ideas on weight saving techniques.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

elkhornsun

Monterey

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The GVWR is based on the truck configuration as it was when it shipped to the dealer. It is easy to modify the truck to safely support a greater payload by adding springs and upgrading the shocks and if need be the rims and tires. The gating factor is the front and rear axle ratings for the truck.

My 2500HD has a 10000 GVWR and a 2800 max payload rating but the real limitations are the 6700 lb. rating for the rear axle (front is 6,000 lbs.) and the rims and tires which at the rear support a maximum load of 6400 lbs.

With the rear axle load weighed at a local CAT scale showing 2800 lbs., my theoretical limit is 6400-2800 or 3600 lbs. for the bed of the truck. To minimize the impact on the handling of the truck I have added 1500 lb. rated SuperSprings and will be most likely upgrading the factory shocks to Rancho 9000's. If need be I can add the second leaf for the SuperSprings and add still another 1500 lb. load capacity to the rear axle but I doubt that a 3000-3500 wet camper load that these extra leaf springs will be needed.

I do not want to give up 500 lbs. of load capacity for a slide-out and would rather have that available for other items and to have added range out in the boondocks by having extra water carrying capacity.

mooring product

Pompano Beach Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im a proud owner of a 2006 Lance 881 that is Short bed only.

Im still tweaking my unit to get it to handle better.

We are leaving in two weeks on a 400miles round trip. I have ordered new tires and a Energy suspension rear sway bar bushing kit. Ill report back.

Untitled by MooringProduct, on Flickr

Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> ADVICE on shortbed Lance slideout or similar
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS