RV.Net Open Roads Forum: CA 1 coast hiway north or south of San Fran?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> CA 1 coast hiway north or south of San Fran?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Eastwacamper

Greenacres, WA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 04:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be driving along the coast and will use 101 but wonder if 1 is good for rvs, wide enough, places to park for the night, buying gas along the way. And better south of San Francisco or north? Will be visiting in Santa Rosa. Starting in OR.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer: no. Been there, done that. You will find that there are a couple places along there where max length is restricted to (I think) 26 feet. In any case, having dragged a 21 foot TT along that road all the way from the Oregon line to LA, I can say the drive is beautiful, but not for the faint of heart or people with Class A RVs. The turns are tight, and the drop offs unforgiving. But God is it beautiful!

1rickw

redwood City, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with naturist. We took hwy1 south toward LA on our first RV trip. The road from Big Sur for the next 60 miles was the scariest thing we have ever done. My DW was staring down the cliffs all the way and yelling at me to " Ride the Dots." There are parts that are OK but then if you get on a narrow part, there may not be any place to turn around.

2004 Jamboree 26Q + great wife to travel with

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You absolutely do not want to drive the "1" South from San Francisco to Morro Bay. Going North is bad enough...absolutely beautiful, but you can see your own tail lights on the hairpin turns. Go South you are on the downhill cliff side, and there are plenty of them there cliffs with traffic coming at you on an un-divided road. If you want to head to Big Sur, drop the trailer and take a day trip in the car.
I really don't remember the road North of San Francisco, we drove that way many years ago, so I will defer to others.
Happy Trails.

Eastwacamper

Greenacres, WA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Guess I needed to ask about that. We have a 31'class C. Well, we can entertain ourselves well-enough on 101.

What about taking US 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City? Safe, pretty, too hilly?

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The PCH is worth renting a car, or better yet, a motorcycle to go see. But no way would I try it in a 31 foot Class C. It should be noted that I saw lots of small TTs and PUPs, but the operative word here is "small." I also recall a couple hairpins that my Jeep Libby & 21 footer filled up pretty good. An unarticulated 31 footer wouldn't go there.

misplaced idahoan

Valley on the Utah-Idaho border

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll dissent a bit. Drove 1 south from SF to LA several times in a 31 foot Class C and 34 foot Class A. Tour busses do it all the time and have seen several 5ers along the road. It all depends on how comfortable you are with mountain driving - and how comfortable your passenger is with your driving. I will admit DW sounded like she needed an oxygen mask a couple of times :-)

Haven't done it, but have heard that hwy 1 north of SF is too tight for RVs. Once we crossed the GG bridge we've stuck to 101.

Temporarily afoot, but lookin' to get back into the game

Our website

Campsite .... $65, Fuel .... $300, Food .... $500, Photo of the rig at Bridal veil falls .... Priceless

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

South of San Francisco on hwy 1 is a cake walk compared to north on on hwy 1.

It's absolutely beautiful, but my wife didn't seen one bit of it...her eyes were closed. Narrow, very curvy, and many horrendous straight drops to the Pacific below.
We were pulling a pop up.
I thought it was a great adventure..

"US 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City?"...that's the way we go..31 foot TT.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

South of San Francisco on hwy 1 is a cake walk compared to north on on hwy 1.

It's absolutely beautiful, but my wife didn't seen one bit of it...her eyes were closed. Narrow, very curvy, and many horrendous straight drops to the Pacific below.
We were pulling a pop up.
I thought it was a great adventure..

"US 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City?"...that's the way we go..31 foot TT.

We were planning on going this way (along PCH #1) north from Tomales to at least Fort Bragg this June.
Is this route really that bad?
We have a 26 ft.5er.
Thanks,
Morley

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
Honda EUi2000

jbbrick

Near San Francisco

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really don't see where it's such a big deal driving on the south portion. Did it many times with 30+ motorhomes including a C like yours. No problem at all unless your copilot it the nervous type, because you are on the cliff side. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again but the road north of the GG bridge on 1 is no fun at all and I'd skip it in favor of 101 up to at least Santa Rosa. Take 101 down to SF then 1 the rest of the way, you'll love the scenery.

'02 Winnie Adventurer 32V
2010 Ford Escape toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> CA 1 coast hiway north or south of San Fran?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS