RV.Net Open Roads Forum: I knew I should just get my parts and leave!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I knew I should just get my parts and leave!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stopped by the local Ford Dealer while on lunch break to pick up a fuel filter and PCV for the ol' '97.

Pulling in, they had this shiny blue '12 F150 Extended Cab, XLT, 4x4 with the 5.0 V8 in it. (lots of others in various colors and trims too. Only one EB and it was a Crew Cab and not a color I'd want. Don't want a CC either...).

Since it was actually sunny out today (still cold and windy however), so after I got my parts and put them in the ol' '97, I walked over to the shiny new blue one to have a peak... I've not really checked them out in close proximity yet and have always wanted to.

All I gotta say is WOW.. Nice truck! Exactly what I would want for options (tow package, 3.55 elec lock diff, integrated BC, #7350 GVWR 6 spd auto, XLT package, chrome, etc...)

Peaked under the hood and was really impressed with the engine layout. You could actually see the valve covers! Changing plugs in this would be a cinch! (those of you with the 5.4/4.6/6.8 can relate to this!)

Factory elec fans (dual) and a pretty big radiator. The aux trans cooler seems a bit short, but it's looong.. Probably does fine I'm sure. Dang, I just realized I didn't look at the yellow payload sticker!

Sat inside and the seat was moved up kinda close.. I'm 6'3" and usually have to set the seats in any vehicle all the way back.. Well, I go to move the seat back (it's got power seats) and it just kept going and going and going!

I had to actually move it forward to get to a comfortable position! Even with the Extended Cab, there seemed to be a lot of leg room for anyone that might sit back there.. Lots of head room too.

I liked the gauge layout. Even has a trans temp gauge. I bet they are just like the other "Idiot" gauges Ford likes to use where they get to a nice 'mid' position and stay there and won't move until you hit a real extreme factor... I understand why they do that.. It would just be nice to have an 'option' to set them to show real time variations is all..

It did have what looks like the 9.75" semi float rear end and 18" wheels and P rated tires. Looks like a 3" tail pipe from the HUGE muffler out behind the rear tire. (I'd have to get a new muffler! I Love that nice mellow V8 rumble from a quality aftermarket muffler!)

Anyway, I was not pounced on by any sales people at all. I spent a good 10 minutes walking around it and all. Probably a good thing, because I'm sure if you are still with me on this, you are thinking I drove out with it!!

Nope... Not today anyway... Window sticker was $38,950. It didn't have the 'red tag' hanging off the mirror with what their special price is like the other rigs did.. The red tags on the other rigs were between $1000 and $3000 lower than their window stickers, but it would still be too expensive of a rig for me at this time..

I had it planned that if a sales person came over and wanted to know "what would it take to get you in this today", I was going to say, "the same monthly payment I have now.... Zero... Sorry, but I just wanted to take a peak and kick the tires, but it sure is a nice truck!"

Anyway, that's my story for the day and now I really, really want one and I have something else to fantasize about now!

Mitch

* This post was edited 02/22/12 05:45pm by MitchF150 *

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Man, that was close. You dodged a bullet there, guy. Now get your paws away from your wallet, keep walking, we got yer back.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I know! I bought the ol' '97 on the fly after stopping in to just "look" back in 2001... My wife was not happy at the time! (note, she does like the truck now and actually has said a new one would be nice... )

With gas going over $4 now (not like $3.65 is any better!) and only having a mortgage payment and the usual monthly bills and the wife out of work for the last 3 years, it just ain't gonna happen until that fantasy LOTTO comes thru!

Mitch

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey your truck has 230,000 miles on it. It's gunna start costing you money really soon. Maybe not too much to start. But it will build up pretty soon. You been towing a 5000 GVWR trailer with that tired old transmission. You have replaced the fuel filter and PVC. But what about the belts and the hoses. And those brake pads, a trans flush, coolant flush and brake fluid flush. And replacing tires could cost nearly $1,000.

You know.... if you don't think too much about it, that new truck could be pretty much free. Especially if you think about the low finance interest rate, the warranty, the friendly salesman, and such. And what about that nice shiny paint job, and fancy wheels? And just think about when you drive that beautiful truck through the campground, everyone will be looking at you with envy. And you have worked hard all your life to be able to make your life better. Now is your opportunity to reap the benefit of all your lifelong hard work.

But just do what you think is right. Maybe you should put your money into new vinyl siding for your house, instead. Best of luck. Don't let me sway you.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

longrider1100

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It and your 97 seem a world apart don't they?

Time to camp.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a spread sheet I've kept up for the most part with the usual maintenance and repairs and such for the ol' '97 since I got it in 2001... I think it's about $5000 give or take so far...

I have done all those things.. Several times! The trans and the engine is still tight and crisp. I'm on my third set of tires.. I paid around $800 for the current set about 3 years ago. I haven't priced 18" tires lately, but I bet they aren't as cheap as my 16" tires!

I would love to have that 'turn your head' attitude again! Actually, I still do turn my head and look back at the ol' girl when I walk away from it!

For what I'm paying for my wifes monthly medical insurance (Cobra ran out a long time ago), I could have that truck and pay for the insurance too! Well, I won't go there...

Mitch

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No chance you can trade her in and walk out with the truck?

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

longrider1100 wrote:

It and your 97 seem a world apart don't they?

Oh my, yes! It's almost as much of a difference as my Dad's 1971 F250 and my '97 was back in 2001! He still has the '71 and I still can't believe how many miles we put on that old thing with pulling a 1977 Taurus TT and a camper shell on the back with my sister and I in it! Those were the days!

Mitch

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NewsW wrote:

No chance you can trade her in and walk out with the truck?

Always a chance, but the word "HALF" always comes ringing thru!

And I don't think I could get away with going out on a late night camping trip in the middle of winter! (very bad joke, I know...)

Nope, I'll just have to wipe the drool off my mouth anytime I see one now! (the truck that is!)

Mitch

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mitch, theys the debil talkin' there. Don't listen to 'em. Keep walkin', man.

* This post was edited 02/23/12 07:11pm by naturist *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> I knew I should just get my parts and leave!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS