RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Distance to dealer ship.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sew4fish

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you guys. Hubby and I are both quite handy. I think we will at least give the local dealer the last option. It is apples to apples and you are right we aren't afraid to travel. We will be inside the same state. For ten thousand I wouldn't have even blinked an eye before loading up and going.

Again, thank you!

Melissa

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most of the dealers in my area operate there various operations as seperate companies. You might want to look at the business license and see if Sales, service, and body shop are listed as seperate entities. Sometimes Sales and Re-Sale are different companies too. Limits their liability and exposure.

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried taking that deal on paper into the local dealer and seeing if he will match it or at least move in that direction? I think 200 miles is too far; yet, you could get it at home and still have problems far away on the road not close to the dealer. Also, we have had work done at our at far away dealers so for $3000 maybe it isn't too far.

Jayco-noslide

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you've got the right idea in giving your local dealer the "last option"...
If you've got a firm written offer from the distant dealer, you might show it to the local guy and see exactly what he'll do for you.
I'm guessing he'll work just as hard to get your business as the out-of area guy did.

There's nothing that gets 'em going like a ready-to-buy customer!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randu wrote:

I had just over 100 mile drive on last 3 trailers as no local dealers for the quality I wanted. I only made 1 return warranty trip on each trailer with a list of what needed repair. I'm very handy and fixed most minor issues myself better than any dealer would have.

It really depends on how handy you are and if your willing to make a few fixes. Do a real intense PDI and catch as much as you can before delivery. I would give the local guy a last chance and walk if they don't get close to what you want to pay.

Warranty is only good for a year in most cases and then you go wherever you want anyways. Randu
X2
We bought ours from a Dealer 400 miles away because the 2 local Dealers here are terrible. Best decision I ever made. I made a list, took it in before the year was up and he took care of all and more that I didn't see. Now that the year is up, we are divorced but I would buy from him again.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

newk

Gillette, WY

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought ours from a dealer 500 miles away 6 years ago and have never had cause to return. We didn't buy it there to save money but for convenience after our old one had troubles on the road, but the reason doesn't really matter.

I would return to your local dealer to give him another chance... after I was SURE the distant deal was firm and I was comparing apples to apples.

Bachus

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am TOTALLY against taking the good deal from the distant dealer and showing it to the local dealer. The guy who gave you the good price in the first place has done his homework, and is actually trying to get your business. The local guy who is 3 grand high is just trying to gouge you and doesn't deserve a second chance. Take it from a guy who runs his own business. It's the same reason I don't like the Home Depot 10% price match guarantee. For every "one" who takes them up on that, there are a hundred others who just assume they are getting the best price and subsidize that offer. Reward the dealer who offers the best price up front, and never show an offer to another dealer. That just ends up in a pissing contest and puts good dealers out of business while the gougers continue to profiteer.

Dean and Tracy Bachellier
Isobel,Evelyn, and Stuart
2012 KZ Durango D355BHS quad bunk with 5 slides
HiJacker 16K double pivot slider
2011 RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab 4X4 CTD
"It's five o'clock somewhere...."

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shouldn't make any difference at all. You don't need to EVER see the dealer you purchased from again if you don't want to. Your warranty is NOT through the dealer it's through the manufacturer and IF you find that your local dealer won't work on your trailer for warranty work, count your blessings for finding out before you purchased from them. They actually make MONEY from doing warranty work and if they don't want to do it the reason is usually that they can't do the job on the first try and the factory only pays for repairs ONCE. It tells you a LOT about their service department.

For what it's worth, I can't remember ANY time that anything on my trailer has broken while sitting in my drive way at home. It brakes while it's being used and on the road if at all and my local dealer may be a thousand miles away. An RV that can't be mobile isn't worth much to me.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet you're a lot of fun at an auction, Bachus!

Bachus

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 08:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a lot of fun everywhere, especially at RV parks. But I don't go to auctions. I find people always overpay there.
Happy trails! If we ever end up in the same park, I'll buy you a beer. And a good one too! My promise to you.
Dean

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS