RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Distance to dealer ship.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
sew4fish

Houston

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are buying a Komfort 3530fbh. We are in the process of making the deal when a dealer 200 miles away is offering us a deal that is 3000.00 less. We are going to finance the majority of the 5th wheel so 3000.00 is going to make some difference, but is it enough to be 200 miles from the dealer ship. I don't feel like we could bring it to the local dealer for warranty work or other service if we buy from a non local and if we did bring it in, I am sure we would be put at the bottom of the list.

How far is too far and how much is too far worth? The only difference in the deal is the $3000.00 difference in price. Please share you opinions. I feel that we should at least tell our local salesman what is going on, he may work with us.

There is always something wrong with campers. I have never met anyone who didn't have to bring it in for some kind of repair.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom here. It is great to hear from people who have already gone through these decisions.

Melissa

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How convenient will it be to make that 400 mile round trip during the warranty period........and Yes sometimes getting warranty work done at dealership other than one you purchased from can be trying.

That local dealer......how's their service department?? Do an in depth research on the quality of BOTH service departments. After the sale is completed regardless of the deal......it's the service department that you will be dealing with. The service department needs to be top notch.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will the local dealer come down to somewhere in the middle? Be sure you are comparing exact apples to apples. There could be some options either on the one near you or missing on the one further away. Are you crossing state lines and the bottom line at your local dealer includes taxes and the other one does not? Be really, really sure everything is EXACTLY the same before you go 200 miles on a wild goose chase.

mguay

Northern NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For 3 grand....I would travel. I went 150 miles for 2500 a few years ago. I went to my local dealer and put it all on the table for him and let him decide. He couldn't reach the other dealers number and told me to buy it from the other guy. Then he asked if he could do the warranty/repair work to it. For the most part dealers make more from the back of the building than the front. Even if your dealer states that they won't work on it....just get a list together and when the time is right, return to the selling dealer for the work. They will more than likely be greatful that you bring it back to them and may expedite the repairs for you. Make a trip out of it!

2013 GMC 3500 HD Denali CC LB DRW MAX/ALLY
2010 Keystone Laredo 316RL

rsg63

Dublin, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would drive the distance and save the money. The quality of warranty is more important than where you buy. If a service department specifically targets your service because you did not buy there, then what does that say about them? And are the only units in the service department from that dealership? I doubt it very much. The service and sales departments are almost ALWAYS ran seperately. This means you should get the same service as if you bought it there. Never once did my selling dealership's service department or any other service deparmtnet say "I can fix it fast, fix it right, but only if you got it here."

Save your money and drive or give the local guys another shot at lowering the price.

08 Jayco Recon ZX 40' 3 axle T/H, dual A/C, 2006 RAM 3500 Cummins Dually, Pac Brake, Banks CAI, Monster Exhaust, 3.5" RAM intake, 51 Gal aux tank w/ tool box, 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler SA Pro Grades, Reese Sig series 24K hitch. DVD/NAV/Backup Camera.

mark1228

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the deals and options are exactly the same, for 3k I would drive. However, I would give my local dealer a chance to compete by going in one more time.

As a guy that has run (managed) recreational dealerships for 23 years, I can assure you there is no money in warranty work which is why many dealers don't want to do it unless they sell the trailer.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may not have Dutchmen RVs sympathy if or when your local dealer turns you away during the warranty period, or even "allows" you to drive onto his dealership!

Or says "if we can work you into our schedule".,, which usually means when he has taken care of all the "real" customers first. The Dealers are viewed by the RV Manufacturers as "Independent Businesses" that can operate by their own rules.

Dutchmen RV-

"We strive to provide the greatest level of customer satisfaction possible; therefore we encourage you to buy from your local dealership."

"Purchasing locally will enable you to establish a relationship with that dealer, providing you with a convenient place for all service and support when needed.

Upon delivery to your local dealer, you will be provided with the opportunity for a thorough product orientation and examination to familiarize you with the many features and benefits of your new RV.

Your satisfaction is our goal and we work closely with our dealer partners to provide you with the best service. The relationship you develop with your local Dutchmen dealer as you choose, buy and care for your RV is essential to your ultimate satisfaction."

NOTE! On RVTrader.com during a national search for a 2012 Komfort 3530fbh I found prices from a low of $39,999.00 to $67,031.00.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had just over 100 mile drive on last 3 trailers as no local dealers for the quality I wanted. I only made 1 return warranty trip on each trailer with a list of what needed repair. I'm very handy and fixed most minor issues myself better than any dealer would have.

It really depends on how handy you are and if your willing to make a few fixes. Do a real intense PDI and catch as much as you can before delivery. I would give the local guy a last chance and walk if they don't get close to what you want to pay.

Warranty is only good for a year in most cases and then you go wherever you want anyways. Randu

2014 Chevy 3500HD Crew-LTZ-LB-4x4-DA
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

Bachus

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We drove 750 miles and saved about ten grand. Yeah, TEN GRAND. Plus, the new unit will be delivered to a dealer less than a 100 miles from us for pick up (both dealers are part of a nation-wide priority service program). We can get our warranty work done at the closer dealer, who is still across the border in New York, or we could go to one of the three Ontario dealers who couldn't get their act together. My father in-law got his Crossroads TT repaired at a shop about an hour from us who isn't even a Crossroads dealer, because Crossroads had them listed as one of the few shops approved to do body work for them. Go figure that? The service department is a separate profit centre for the dealership, so I doubt the service manager will be willing to brush you off. If they do, then you don't want your rig serviced there. Besides, we're RV'ers right? It's not like we're afraid to travel!

Dean and Tracy Bachellier
Isobel,Evelyn, and Stuart
2012 KZ Durango D355BHS quad bunk with 5 slides
HiJacker 16K double pivot slider
2011 RAM 3500 SRW Crew Cab 4X4 CTD
"It's five o'clock somewhere...."

Bachus

Stratford, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, we only had one issue with our 06 Cougar, and I fixed it myself.

Randu wrote:

I'm very handy and fixed most minor issues myself better than any dealer would have.

It really depends on how handy you are and if your willing to make a few fixes.

X2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS