RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Distance to dealer ship.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bachus wrote:

I am TOTALLY against taking the good deal from the distant dealer and showing it to the local dealer. The guy who gave you the good price in the first place has done his homework, and is actually trying to get your business. The local guy who is 3 grand high is just trying to gouge you and doesn't deserve a second chance. Take it from a guy who runs his own business. It's the same reason I don't like the Home Depot 10% price match guarantee. For every "one" who takes them up on that, there are a hundred others who just assume they are getting the best price and subsidize that offer. Reward the dealer who offers the best price up front, and never show an offer to another dealer. That just ends up in a pissing contest and puts good dealers out of business while the gougers continue to profiteer.

Agree!!

When our local sales person gave us a price and I said it way to high I never heard from him again. Wow...and we bought our 2010 Nomad from that dealership, but not that same sales person, and we're very happy on that transaction.

With that we called the sales person in So. Cal. that showed us the Pinnacles and Infinity's when we were visiting the San Diego area last October and we had everything put together over the phone and email in ONE day.

March 15 we drive about 8.5 hours to pick up our new Pinnacle.

Why drive that far?

Saving $7,000.00 was a no brainier!! Bringing their price to our local dealer was not even thought of. It is their job to try and get our business through negotians and they never even came back to us. To bad cuz we would have preferred to buy locally.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, O.P.

A firm offer from somebody that would like for you to give them your money is a valuable commodity.
Treat it as such.
If you can persuade your local dealer to make you a better offer based on it, use it.

Remember two things:
1) The tug of war is between THEM, not you. You're the prize in a game they play, and they're much more experienced at it than you are.
and
2)To paraphrase the motto of a famous us-against-them 20th century Organization: Dealers and Buyers have NOTHING in Common.

Act only in your own best interest.

* This post was edited 02/22/12 10:59pm by Francesca Knowles *

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Vulcaneer

Central New Hampshire, Naples, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you really sure they are apples to apples? Here is why I ask.

We looked at one trailer at one dealer. Then looked at what we thought was the same make and model at another dealer. The price difference was some $4,000. Upon closer look the more expensive one was built 6 months later than the cheaper one. And because of that the newer one had more STANDARD EQUIPMENT. Such as, Auto-leveling, upgraded wood interior doors and cabinets, upgraded window treatments, day/night shades, slam latches on hatches, additional cabinets in bedroom and bathroom, and some other stuff. We bought the more expensive one.

So sometimes all things being equal, they may not really be equal.

'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2011 Open Range 393RLS 14,250 GVWR
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sew4fish wrote:

We are buying a Komfort 3530fbh. We are in the process of making the deal when a dealer 200 miles away is offering us a deal that is 3000.00 less. We are going to finance the majority of the 5th wheel so 3000.00 is going to make some difference, but is it enough to be 200 miles from the dealer ship. I don't feel like we could bring it to the local dealer for warranty work or other service if we buy from a non local and if we did bring it in, I am sure we would be put at the bottom of the list.

How far is too far and how much is too far worth? The only difference in the deal is the $3000.00 difference in price. Please share you opinions. I feel that we should at least tell our local salesman what is going on, he may work with us.

There is always something wrong with campers. I have never met anyone who didn't have to bring it in for some kind of repair.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom here. It is great to hear from people who have already gone through these decisions.

"There is always something wrong with campers. I have never met
people who didn't have to bring it in for some kind of repair.".

I purchased out-of-state- - about 1500 miles away.
I was ready to go across country, LOL - but a "closer" dealer matched one of the "wholesalers" prices.
Several/many dealers *LOTS* closer, LOL!

Ahhhh - we haven't "met" but I never needed to take my (purchased new) 2006 Jayco back to *any* dealer - for anything!.
Never had any reason to.

Yeah - there were two small items (we/I missed on the PDI) - that I guess someone might go back to the dealer for:

1. No door glide on the bottom of the bedroom pocket door.
Installed one myself in about 5 minutes at a cost of about $2.

2. Part of the foot rest on a recliner was missing. (piece between the foot rest and the chair "seat") Dealer mailed it to me.
No charge. About 5 minutes and two screws = done!

Back to purchasing 200, 400, or? miles away.
What if you're 3,000 miles away (across the country) from the selling dealer and need some kind of warranty repair?.

IMO - *if* you need repairs *after* the warranty period - I would prefer an independent RV service every time.

If your local dealer will match your "travel" deal - or come close enough to make you happy - that's great. Can't hurt to ask/try.

~

Think you already have figured out what *I* would do again in a heartbeat! (Best deal wins! - and I would buy from the same dealer again . . . if he was the best deal.).

BTW - it was a fun "camping" trip - couple of nights in motels to get there - then all RV. (Isn't that what you are buying it for?)
We did "camp" in the dealer's lot for two nights - then at a nearby campground for a week while "outfitting".

But -
*You* have to do what works best for you - and puts you in your "comfort zone".

Decisions, decisions.. Good luck!

~

* This post was edited 02/23/12 03:31am by ol Bombero-JC *

Randu

South Central Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 03:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ol Bombero-JC wrote:

......What if you're 3,000 miles away (across the country) from the selling dealer and need some kind of warranty repair?.

IMO - *if* you need repairs *after* the warranty period - I would prefer an independent RV service every time......

Very good point about independent service. I just tried a guy who only does repair work and it was the first time that everything that I specified was done corrrectly at a very reasonable price. This independent just got a long time customer. Randu

2014 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
LB,4x4,Duramax
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove from Powell, WY to Ellensburg, WA to buy our new TT. Saved about $7K.

There are some good local dealers that do want your business. There are also some local dealers that are betting you won't drive to save money so they stick to their MSRP price. I wanted a Jayco and a particular type of floor plan. I think it was worth the drive for me. I figure now that I have an RV if I need service I'll drive to a Jayco repair dealer a few hundred miles away and enjoy RVing along the way.

Keep one thing in mind with an RV. Everything on that RV is made by a different manufacturer, except for the basic box and construction. Plus I wonder how many RVs are on the road around here that were never purchased locally or bought from a private party and still taken in for service locally. My last RV was also purchased in Washington state and I had warranty work done in California. I never had a problem.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

mark1228

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

We looked at one trailer at one dealer. Then looked at what we thought was the same make and model at another dealer. The price difference was some $4,000. Upon closer look the more expensive one was built 6 months later than the cheaper one. And because of that the newer one had more STANDARD EQUIPMENT. Such as, Auto-leveling, upgraded wood interior doors and cabinets, upgraded window treatments, day/night shades, slam latches on hatches, additional cabinets in bedroom and bathroom, and some other stuff. We bought the more expensive one.

Excellent point!

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

Very good point - There can be some hidden features in the higher price one. The local dealer here eliminates all "prep" options and any options that don't stand out on his inventory models so he can bloat about low prices. In reality he is no more competitive than the other guy. Thats why we went to the other guy.

"By the time a man asks for advise he usually has already made up his mind and is looking for confirmation more than opinion" -Sidney Harris

bpounds

Whittier CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Negotiating the best deal always involves working one dealer against another. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I would definitely expect the local dealer to sharpen his pencil to get my business. You can't expect any dealers to quote their rock bottom price until you've danced a few rounds. It just doesn't work that way, and comparing this to Home Depot makes no sense. We may not like the Auto/RV method of doing business, but it is what it is. In my experience, the "no haggle" dealerships like Saturn or Carmax, do not have the best prices.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

ALWAYS compare apples to apples!

Of course it helps if the *mfgr* lists the MSRP for the RV and the MSRP for the various options.
(as opposed to the dealer's "claimed" MSRP)

I added a few "afterthought" options - the prices still matched the wholesalers prices - and considerably less than the mfg MSRP for the option.

The deal I "traveled" for, on the model I purchased (I posted a few posts back), was so *NEW* the local dealer claimed he knew nothing about it - and wouldn't bother to try to find it - even though it was on the Jayco website!.
(came out half way thru the model year).

Funny thing - - the wholesalers and the dealer I purchased from were well aware of it..

Go figure!

I did!..

~

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Distance to dealer ship.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts