RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tires (Again)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires (Again)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes another tire question. My MH currently has Michelin XRV 255/80r 22.5 tires on it. They are original tires so are at least 9 years old since the chasis is a 2003 while the motorhome is a 2004. One tire developed a leak so instead of going and getting the leak fixed I decided I may as well replace all six since many seem to think five years is pushing it and I'm going on nine years. The tire dealer also thought I was pushing the outter envelope too, but they want to sell me new tires.

So the question, the same Michelin tires would be $4500 out the door. Six Toyo tires are just at $3000 out the door. The only issue is Toyo doesn't make that exact size. The size I ordered are 265/75r 22.5/14 M-154. Tire guy says he's put these on other Freightliner chasis and never had a problem. He tells me these tires are the exact same weight rating as the Michelin's and are only two tenths of an inch difference in diameter. They will be I think he said two tenths of an inch wider too. I have a big distance between the existing duals so two tenths of an inch won't make them touch.

I have ordered the Toyo's but it's not too late to cancel. Anybody see any issues with this?

* This post was edited 02/22/12 07:19pm by msmith1199 *

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

Ro646a

New Boston, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My two year old Michelin tires are already developing sidewall cracks and Michelin says this is normal. I bought those tires to replace the 10 year old Goodyears that were on it when I bought it, and those Goodyears that I threw away still looked like new.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

Roland and Elaine
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3904 Diesel pusher
CAT 3126 330 HP with Allyson transmission
2004 Chevy Tracker LT V6 4WD
Roadmaster Sterling tow bar
Ready Brake

sriethman

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are fine if you go with the toyos! Michelin makes their own size tires on most rv and heavy duty trucks. Good luck with the toyos!

1999 Newmar American Star
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 4X4 5.4L
Me 28
DW 27

Pogoil

Oregon Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now have 6 Toyo M154 on my 33 foot MH 265/75/22.5 and I like them. I personally would have not bought the Mich. if they were less than the Toyos. Just my opinion based on what I have seen on the side walls.

By the way the 4 Toyos that Came off the back of the MH. were 9 years old and I inspected them after they were dismounted and could not find any cracks any where on any of the 4 tires. They looked almost as new as the day they were installed.

Pogpol.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The current Michelin tires on it do have the sidewall cracks. I've heard so many different stories on what that means it's hard to tell who to believe. I don't think you need to swap tires out at 5 years, but I do think I'm pushing it with 9 years. I have seen older tires blow out so I know it happens. The issue is just how long before you need to worry about it? I also have plenty of tread left and it just doesn't feel right to spend $3k for tires when the ones on it look just fine, but I guess that's the cost of owning a RV.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pogoil wrote:

I now have 6 Toyo M154 on my 33 foot MH 265/75/22.5 and I like them. I personally would have not bought the Mich. if they were less than the Toyos. Just my opinion based on what I have seen on the side walls.

By the way the 4 Toyos that Came off the back of the MH. were 9 years old and I inspected them after they were dismounted and could not find any cracks any where on any of the 4 tires. They looked almost as new as the day they were installed.

Pogpol.

I had to edit my orginal post to fix the M154. That is exactly the tire I ordered. I was expecting to get prices in the $5k range for six tires so I was happy to see the $3k. According to my wife's logic that means I saved $2000 so I get to go buy something with it!

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ro646a wrote:

My two year old Michelin tires are already developing sidewall cracks and Michelin says this is normal. I bought those tires to replace the 10 year old Goodyears that were on it when I bought it, and those Goodyears that I threw away still looked like new.

I hope you have better luck than I did.

My current '06 tires with 50,400 miles don't have any cracks. I would be livid if I spent good money for new tires that developed cracks after two years. Looks like I would be on Judge Judy to get things settled!

My plan is to replace our current tires at the end of this year or early next for new Michelins since I've had good luck with my current tires. (295/80R/22.5).

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
2015 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 45 ft., one and a half bath, 4 slide, 500 hp Volvo.

JC2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hankooks would be an option also and should run about what the Toyos are or less. If you were a member of FMCA, the tires size you mentioned in the Michelin brand would run about $476 each through the FMCA club tire program.
http://www.fmca.com/images/stories/pdf/michelin-prices.pdf

2004 Newmar DSDP 4015,Cummins ISL 370hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2008 Saturn Vue FWD Towed,FMCA #402879

Weathertodd221

FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

why are those michelins so expensive?? $4500 is about $1500 more than what they should cost.

BobR

Aurora, Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just replaced 12 year old Michelins with Michelins again. My first two sets served me well with no cracking. I inspected the inside of the tires and there was no evidence of deterioration there either. Two commercial tire shops advised in the past if they don't leak air and not cracked they don't need replacement. After 12years, I decided that was enough service and changed out.

Since one has started leaking air and they are at least nine years old, I think it is a prudent decision to replace. By shopping the tires, I was able save 20% off the first three dealers quotes.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires (Again)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS