RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tires (Again)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires (Again)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to be for Michelin!

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greyghost wrote:

I don't know if you're a Costco member or not, but it mat be worthwhile for you to check them out. I ordered and purchased 6 235/80 22.5s from Costco for $2427.29. I had them installed, mounted and balanced at a small tire dealer for $347. Total cost less than $3,000. Membership is less than $100 and you can really save on the tires. There are Cosco Warehouses all up and down 99 from Sacto to Fresno. Give them a try.

I am a Coscto member, but the tires you bought aren't the same size and you still paid almost $2800. Is that small dealer going to service the tires later on? The ones I'm getting are coming from Les Schwab and they will do the install. They also fix flats or leaks for the life of the tires. I didn't ask about the motorhome tires, but I know on my truck tires they will computer balance and rotate them for free too every year.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pogoil wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

While it sounds like I'll be happy with the tires, I'm not happy with paying $3k and replacing tires that look perfectly fine. Something about that just doesn't seem right.

I agree completely! After I inspected the 9 year old tires when they were dismounted and could find not one defect inside or out. I believe I could have run those tires 5 more years without any problems. May have to run my new tires longer. I would never replace them at 5 years like some say unless they had visual defects.

By the way we used to live in central Ca.
Pogoil.

They do have cracks in the sidewall. I talked to the tire guy about it and he said they could do a visual inspection, but to really see if they are still safe you have to send them off to be xrayed. Never heard of that and didn't want to mess with it. On the Michelins I never used to cover them and the motorhome is stored next to my house. I bought covers about a year ago but it was too late by then. So I'll cover the Toyo's and see how long I can get them to last. They only need to last until I'm at a break even point where the loan balance is equal to the value of the motorhome and I'm getting rid of this money pit anyway.

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

They do have cracks in the sidewall. I talked to the tire guy about it and he said they could do a visual inspection, but to really see if they are still safe you have to send them off to be xrayed. Never heard of that and didn't want to mess with it. On the Michelins I never used to cover them and the motorhome is stored next to my house. I bought covers about a year ago but it was too late by then. So I'll cover the Toyo's and see how long I can get them to last. They only need to last until I'm at a break even point where the loan balance is equal to the value of the motorhome and I'm getting rid of this money pit anyway.
I'm curious about the actual age (mfr date) of the Toyos- have you deciphered the date code stamped on the side?

I haven't even seen them yet. Just ordered them yesterday, they won't be in until next week. If you're refering to the Michelins that are on it now, I haven't even looked at the date code. I bought the motorhome in 04 and the Chasis was built in 03. So I'm assuming the newest the tires could possibly be is 9 year old as that is when they were likely put on the chasis. It's possible they are even older.

UltraKen

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

Yes another tire question. My MH currently has Michelin XRV 255/80r 22.5 tires on it. They are original tires so are at least 9 years old since the chasis is a 2003 while the motorhome is a 2004. One tire developed a leak so instead of going and getting the leak fixed I decided I may as well replace all six since many seem to think five years is pushing it and I'm going on nine years. The tire dealer also thought I was pushing the outter envelope too, but they want to sell me new tires.

So the question, the same Michelin tires would be $4500 out the door. Six Toyo tires are just at $3000 out the door. The only issue is Toyo doesn't make that exact size. The size I ordered are 265/75r 22.5/14 M-154. Tire guy says he's put these on other Freightliner chasis and never had a problem. He tells me these tires are the exact same weight rating as the Michelin's and are only two tenths of an inch difference in diameter. They will be I think he said two tenths of an inch wider too. I have a big distance between the existing duals so two tenths of an inch won't make them touch.

I have ordered the Toyo's but it's not too late to cancel. Anybody see any issues with this?

In my signature below you'll find a link to some notes on tires. It might help you with sizing them.

I put the same tires you ordered on my Safari a year and a half ago and paid around $2400 otd, with mounting, balancing, and a front-end alignment. I did get a payment of around $100 for 4 of the old tires.

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

I'm curious about the actual age (mfr date) of the Toyos- have you deciphered the date code stamped on the side?

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May have posted this before but we replaced our 8 yr old Michilin XRV's same size as yours in PA for $3000. We could not find comparable cheaper tires with enough clearance between the rear tires. Toyos were not available in our area.

Bea PA
Presently homeless, sold the Journey
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Greyghost wrote:

msmith1199 wrote:

Posted: 02/23/12 06:04pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greyghost wrote:

I don't know if you're a Costco member or not, but it mat be worthwhile for you to check them out. I ordered and purchased 6 235/80 22.5s from Costco for $2427.29. I had them installed, mounted and balanced at a small tire dealer for $347. Total cost less than $3,000. Membership is less than $100 and you can really save on the tires. There are Cosco Warehouses all up and down 99 from Sacto to Fresno. Give them a try.

I am a Coscto member, but the tires you bought aren't the same size and you still paid almost $2800. Is that small dealer going to service the tires later on? The ones I'm getting are coming from Les Schwab and they will do the install. They also fix flats or leaks for the life of the tires. I didn't ask about the motorhome tires, but I know on my truck tires they will computer balance and rotate them for free too every year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't expect the small dealer to service my tires because we are usually on the road and no where near where we purchased the tires. If they were car tires Costco would mount and service them for as long as they are on the car. These are MH tires and those rules don't apply. When I went to a major tire dealer they wanted about $3800 out the door and that did not include annual rotate and balance.

I put 47K on these tires and never rotated them or had to have a flat fixed, consequently that was never a consideration.

All I did was make a suggestion that could possibly save you money if you wanted to stay with Michelins. Since you chose to purchase a different tire my suggestion really doesn't matter at all does it.

BTW - Les Schwab is not nationwide and their prices on Michelins are outrageous. Consequently they were never on my short list. Good luck with your Toyo's. They have a good reputation on this forum.

Okay, I was just pointing out that the price you had is only a $200 savings over what I got and the tires were smaller. So Les Schwab may actually be cheaper than Costco. And I do still live in a stick house and Les Schwab is two miles down the road so I'll stick with them. Thanks for the info.

Greyghost

Back in AZ for a while

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

Posted: 02/23/12 06:04pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

Greyghost wrote:

I don't expect the small dealer to service my tires because we are usually on the road and no where near where we purchased the tires. If they were car tires Costco would mount and service them for as long as they are on the car. These are MH tires and those rules don't apply. When I went to a major tire dealer they wanted about $3800 out the door and that did not include annual rotate and balance.

I put 47K on these tires and never rotated them or had to have a flat fixed, consequently that was never a consideration.

All I did was make a suggestion that could possibly save you money if you wanted to stay with Michelins. Since you chose to purchase a different tire my suggestion really doesn't matter at all does it.

BTW - Les Schwab is not nationwide and their prices on Michelins are outrageous. Consequently they were never on my short list. Good luck with your Toyo's. They have a good reputation on this forum.

Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD,
Jewel and Clifford Bouvier Des Flandres

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

msmith1199 wrote:

I haven't even seen them yet. Just ordered them yesterday, they won't be in until next week. If you're refering to the Michelins that are on it now, I haven't even looked at the date code. I bought the motorhome in 04 and the Chasis was built in 03. So I'm assuming the newest the tires could possibly be is 9 year old as that is when they were likely put on the chasis. It's possible they are even older.

Sorry- got the tire names mixed up!
I was actually asking about the tires with the cracks in them...been doing some reading up on tire age etc. and I've come across some references to owners who've been surprised to find that their tires are older than the rig they're installed on. I just wondered if that might be true in your case, possibly accounting for the cracks you're seeing.

The other surprising thing I've read more than once is that it's a good idea to specify a maximum "age" when one buys new tires- seems as if they're not all as "new' as we think they are.

All offered with a grain of salt- don't know if any of it's actually true!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Tires (Again)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS