|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 2012 Coachman Freelander 21QB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
JAT-DLT

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering purchasing a 2012 Coachman Freelander 21QB from El Monte Rentals. It has 22,000 miles and is listed for $41,900. What are the pros and cons to this purchase? Does the price seem fair? Does this seem to be a good first time purchase? Thanks for all your comments and feedback.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

El Monte RV has at least 3 of them at that price...which is a great price compared to what the MSRP is suppose to be!

Forest River Coachmen builds these things by the boat load for rental use. They are "dumbed down" a bit to make them easier for someone who has a less than perfect grasp of what a RV is! Very simple interiors and the basics.

El Monte rents these out to International vacationers from all over the World here in California and else where, and when returned, they clean 'em up and out they go again filled with happy Germans, Italians and Japanese tourists. They rent out for around $1500.00 a week plus mileage charges. Depending on time of year.

Cruise America is the other big RV Vacation Rental guys. They use Thor RV's Four Winds Class C motorhomes.

Usually El Monte "refreshes" the RV with new matresses and clean it up good...and repair any damages.

A lot if them that I've seen at El Monte RV had roof repairs due to the tourists hitting tree branches and drive thru roofs, and lots of scrapes and paint bamage to the sides.

I don't believe El Monte has to disclose damage and repairs that were fixed to a new buyer by the way, and since they do it all in their own repair shops, a CarFax report won't show anything.

So inspect carefully. Maybe even have a mechanic run a diagnotic engine check and roof inspection. El Monte does the oil changes and routine maintenance also "in house".

They rent them at all 5 of their Vacation Rental Centers, Los Angeles RV Rentals, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Orlando RV Rentals, New York (Linden, NJ) RV Rentals.

Also for comparison, I found a 2011 non-rental used one at a dealer in Colorado with 25,600 miles for $44,995.00.

Then there's the most famous Motion Picture Rental Motorhome of all time!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

dennnis page

idaho falls, idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That price could be high depending on what features the coach has. We bought one last year brand new at an advertized price of $49,900.

Even though yours is a 2012 the mileage indicates a lot of use. I think you can negotiate.

cozzy

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 01:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I looked at a new 21QB for $49,900 last year, It was too small for me and I found a 2004 coachman freelander 27 for $32,500 with only 6800 miles. Other than replacing the tires the unit has been trouble free and I've put around 2000 miles on it. There are deals out there but it takes a lot of web surfing.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generator & awning? They're features that most folks want, but not all rental have 'em. And they're pricey to add, too.

Jim, "Where there's smoke, she's a-cookin'."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory') www.tigervehicles.com

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchasing rentals has been discussed on this forum many times and will continue to be. IMHO The notion that an individual took better care of there RV than a rental customer is ridiculous. And I can almost guarantee you that a rental company did more routine maintenance than some owners. Judge the RV for what it is or not is not on who the previous owner was.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

Capt.Storm

Brockport NY.

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the 2010 ..bought new..been happy with it!

Drives nice but not really meant for more then 3 ..maybe 4.

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

primorving wrote:

As a guideline, there's a 30% mark up give or take 5% in RV pricing. you should start at approx 66% of sticker as a guideline and be able to buy somewhere around 70% of sticker. That's been my experience.
I agree that is the case with many, but not every brand. It is surely the place to start. Good advice.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/12 06:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cozzy Quoted I looked at a new 21QB for $49,900 last year.......

I also heard they could be purchased brand new for $45-$49k. It seems that would be much smarter than getting a previous rental for a few thousand less. Your warranties on both the chassis and house would be fresh, and sometimes you get better finance rates on a new one as well. With that consideration for some without the cash, new might be cheaper than used.

primorving

Medford, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/28/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a guideline, there's a 30% mark up give or take 5% in RV pricing. you should start at approx 66% of sticker as a guideline and be able to buy somewhere around 70% of sticker. That's been my experience.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> 2012 Coachman Freelander 21QB
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS