|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Hot Water

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
earnesttee

pulaski

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good afternoon to all,have question on hot waterheaters?I have just moved up to traveltrailer was wondering do I need to flip hotwater heater off at night after all showers and hot water uses are over are just leave it on.Do not what is best on that guess kinda concered on propane useage thanks to who all reply all the info so far has been good for a newbie here

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We run our hot water heater off the electric when we are plugged in. We only run it on propane if we need to heat it up really quickly and then we turn off the propane to it. Ours has 2 switches for the hot water heater, 1 for electric, and 1 for gas. We usually leave the electric on over night on it. I know some will turn their's off if leaving the TT for the day.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS - 5 nights camped
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold after 3 1/2 yrs and 76 nights camped in it!

Vet Man

Ct. & Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turn it off and restart it an hr before needed. If you have elect hot water also, and have elect included in the site price. turn it on and leave it on. Make sure water is on and tank full frist frist.

2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2010 ZR1 Colorado Toad
2013 Honda 150 PCX Scooter
2015 Jeep Unlimited Sahara

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

don't really need to. we do turn ours off at night or when we are away (propane and electric elements), but it's more for safety than anything else. We've found that even in temps near freezing it will keep the water warm all night and only takes 15 minutes or so in the morning to get it HOT.

IMHO, do whatever you are comfortable with, leaving it on won't use much propane or electricity vs. turning it on and off.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

jbealecass

MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We generally keep ours on all day and flip it off at PM. If we are planning on being away all day we will also turn it off. The hot water stays hot for a long time and if you want to come in after some time away and just want to wash your hands it will still be warm. Then you can flip it on for cooking/clean up and nite time wash up and the turn it off again until the next AM.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the water heater (used in the making of 'hot' water) is propane only then turning it off at night is a good means of conserving your propane....no reason to heat water when it's not being used.

Propane will heat water at approx. 12-13 gallons per hour recovery time.

If you have electric & propane.....and electric is part of CG site fee then leave it on electric and use propane (with the electric) for faster recovery. Approx. 18-20 gallons per hour recovery time.

What Brand/model of water heater do you have?

Fabguy

Auburn, Washigton

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We turn ours on when we get to the campsite and don't turn it off until we leave.

It goes hand in hand with our slide... If the slide room is out, the water heater is on. Slide in, water heater off.

Jeff

2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4:10/Prodigy brake controler/Dual Cam HP

Pulling a 2004 Sprinter 274 RLS

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 07:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if you don't turn it off, it will wake you up with a roar of a jet taking off on a short runway with full after burners. believe me I was never so happy when I bought my last TT and it had an off/on switch inside the TT.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I have propane only, and only turn it on when I want some hot water, and it takes about a hour to warm up to 140F. There is a lot of heat loss, especially at night when it is cooler, as cold (say 55F air) goes into the burner area, gets heated by the hot water, and leaves out the flue at 135F if the heater is left on all the time.

Because I shut mine off after I am done showering, there is a little warm water left over for washing hands, and very little air will go through the heat exchanger taking away heat from water only about 90 - 120F. I leave mine off while I am away from the RV, just to save propane.

If I had electric, and not paying for it, I would run it all the time, and have plenty of hot water in the morning. However it will use about 2 KW per day even if no water is drawn out, just because cold air enters the bottom and carries away heat all day long. So I still think I would turn it off when not needed.

When it is below freezing at night, I will leave the heater on long enough to ensure that it will stay well above 50F, just to make sure it will not freeze, and run it long enough to warm the water to the 100F range before going on a sightseeing adventure. If snowing, I would leave it on all the time while camping, just to keep it hot.

I dislike leaving it on at night because it is so noisy! It's louder than my dishwasher, even though my dishwasher is in the room with me, and the water heater is outside!

Fred.

wbwood

Lake Norman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fabguy wrote:

We turn ours on when we get to the campsite and don't turn it off until we leave.

It goes hand in hand with our slide... If the slide room is out, the water heater is on. Slide in, water heater off.

We do the same thing.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
ACME Tow Dolly
2014 Ford Focus(Toad)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Hot Water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers