|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fiberglass checking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Rockwood Ventura

ventura

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have noticed a little checking on the body. Any ideas as to arrest or stop this?

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. Sorry. I have it in my coach. Waxing often and storing out of the sun. I assume you have a 2004 or 2005 MH with dark colors? Bad situation many of us in that era are/have experienced.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

FIRE UP

Ramona, CA. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 01:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rockwood Ventura,
Is this the appearance that you're seeing? If so, there's absolutely nothing that can be done. Many have paid very high dollars to have their coach sanded down and re-painted only to have the condition re-appear approximately 2-3 years later. I've done a bit of research on this and from what's been printed here on this and other forums, it's commonly referred to as "Crazing". Some will dispute the definition but, never the less, it's a form of fiberglass "checking" that was experienced by many manufacturers and models.

Supposedly it was caused by improper fiberglass sheeting being delivered to the manufacturer. If, you were real lucky and it started happening while your coach was under warranty, you got to go back to the factory and watch your coach completed "De-skinned" and have it replaced with the correct fiberglass. Then, it was all repainted to new and better specs.

But, approximately 90% of the coaches that exhibit such "crazing", are way out of warranty. And, if one chooses to have done what was done for the warranty customers, it's a seriously high cost repair. Just about no one does it. The cure, none, the answer, lots of wax, anc keep it in the shade as much as possible.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

J. J.

Belen, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was one of the lucky ones. My 2005 Phaeton was completely re-skinned in 2010 by Tiffin. My cost zero.

J. J. Griego

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 09:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J. J. wrote:

I was one of the lucky ones. My 2005 Phaeton was completely re-skinned in 2010 by Tiffin. My cost zero.

J. J. Griego

Indeed you were! Kudo's to Tiffin for stepping up and doing what was right. The estimate to do my coach is $30,000. Mine is not bad at all - I doubt anyone would notice it but I sure do because I detail my coach. the progression has been very slow over the past 8 years but it's there!!!!!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Fiberglass checking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS