RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Stranded on the road in my class B, please help!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Stranded on the road in my class B, please help!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd certainly avoid filling the tank full until the issue is resolved. If it's the pump, you could have a complete pump failure with a near-full tank & the headaches that would cause. Hopefully it's just the fuel filter.

If the K&N filter is the oiled reusable type, I've heard that the oil can foul some mass air flow sensors if it's over-oiled. But I've no idea what type of MAF you've got.

Dunno what budget you're on, but if you reach the point of having eliminated other things and must drop the tank yourself..... ideally try to pick a friendly small town auto parts store and do it in their lot (after talking to the mgr). Try to pick one that rents tools, and is close to a grocery or fast-food place (gotta eat).

You can probably hire a young under-employed local to help with the heavy lifting for ~$20 bucks for a few hours if there are no free volunteers; counter help in the parts store will know someone suitable. If you have to buy a cheap floor jack, maybe offer it as payment on completion.

If you happen to pass a building site, ask if you can have some scraps of 2 by whatever lumber; no such thing as having too many wood blocks on a chore like this.

Finally, listen to Landyacht318; he knows old-generation Dodge vans far, far better then anybody else so far in this thread, my-wordy-self included.

And good luck with it!

Jim, "Mo' coffee!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it is a bad fuel pump, it would turn up in a volume / pressure test properly done according to factory specs.

Install new fuel filters, then do the test.

I'd do that before I think of dropping the tank.

The whine sound can come from a bad pump, or from it being vapor locked.

If the problem happened after a long drive (fuel heated up in tank), I opt for the bad fuel problem first.

tylerdurdeno9

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the help guys, I really appreciate it. This all helps so much.

I am currently in Nashville visiting a friend. I am very thankful that I have a place to stay and research what is going on with internet. My friend is a stout guy but he doesnt know anything about cars. Also, I dont want to be the guy who says "thanks for letting me stay, help me drop my fuel tank buddy".

-I do not think the vapor lock is an option unless the fuel heated up and caused the problem.

-I would love for the K&N to be the cause of the problem. However, the whining in the rear leads me to believe this is not the case

-Now that I have light I am going to change my fuel filter and PRAY that is was a blocked fuel line and the pump was working extra hard to pump the fuel through. And I pray I meet a super hot red head who loves a man in a van, but I fear both cases are not very likely..

-Thus far I think I am going to change the fuel filter and hit the road. I am an x college football player so I hope if the worse scenario (Me having to change it alone) I will be able to handle it if I take my time.

Thanks again so very much guys. Im doing a video blog of the trip so I will be sure to put a link here for you guys to check out the "breakdown"

Chris

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not do a pressure and volume test?

That is the gold standard before you drop the tank.

Based on what I know of the fuel formulation from your start point (in your profile), and where you are, I am willing to lay bets on the fuel.

Not that you are about to have it assayed... the only definitive way to tell.

* This post was edited 02/23/12 10:56am by NewsW *

jiveturkey692000

NE PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You really should post your youtube video here to. Good luck. And pressure testing it would be a good idea like said above. I still think its the pump. Possible somebody bypassed your filter where the rubber hoses are in the video.

Dan
96 Fleetwood Mallard, 30'
05 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke, CC, Lariat 8ft Bed "Redneck Cadillac"
82 Dodge Ram W350 4X4 Clubcab. 216,000 miles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Stranded on the road in my class B, please help!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS