|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Changing 30amp to 50amp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
racer99

channahon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly -When you use a 50 amp adapter on a 30 amp cord you are still only getting 30 amps to come through the line--If you take apart a plug you will see one leg of the 50 amp is not connected so you are only getting 30 amps--BUT to answer the original question a certified electrician could fix you up--Rich

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cajunco wrote:

I have 30amp now and want to add a 2nd AC so i was told i would need 50amp to run both Ac's at the same time..

I know i cant do this myself so i will need a professional but wanted to know if this is alot of trouble and costly to do ?
What size AC's do you have? Rigs with smaller ACs can run both if the pedestal voltage is good, larger AC's - no.

No trouble - just pay the bill. A cheap solution would be to install a male and female plug on the second AC power cord (in a storage bay). Then you can leave it connected or run a second power cord. You may want a splitter adapter - 50 to 30 and 20. But be aware that with any adapter to reduce a higher amp plug to a lower amp plug that the wiring is now underrated for the circuit amps - The risk is probably low, but it exists.

Short of a total replacement of the CB panel installing a new 50A panel that directly connects to the second AC, maybe other appliances and connects the existing panel as a subpanel might be the best approach. Costs would depend upon how this could be best done for your rig.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

Cajunco

colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kamphiker wrote:

Is your generator able to handle 50 amp service ?

I would only use my front AC when driving so the generator i have should be fine

2002 Fleetwood Bounder 36S

Cajunco

colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the AC i have now is 13k
the other one i would like to add would be 13k also..

When i run both AC's at the same time the only thing i would be using is the TV.
i would run refrigerator on gas..

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ka Ron wrote:

We have a Class A with 30 amp service to the coach. We use a 50 to 30 adapter and run both A/C's with no problem.

using a 30amp to fifty amp plug in DOES NOT increase your usable power
and has no bearing at all on the usage of duall air
The biggest power fear factor on dual roof air is when they both try to start at the same time when compressors are hot or you already have other things running.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cajunco wrote:

I think the AC i have now is 13k
the other one i would like to add would be 13k also..

When i run both AC's at the same time the only thing i would be using is the TV.
i would run refrigerator on gas..

you should be fine

2inAlabama

Lake Whitney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you use an extension cord connected to the power pedestal 20 amp receptacle just be sure that you have a heavy enough extension cord to handle the draw of the AC. Otherwise, you can overheat the cord and burn your coach and yourself to death.

Just DH & DW
Shopping for a Foretravel U320 42 ft

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if your RV has a decent electrical management system it will work two airs and shed appliances as needed. when I added a second a/c on a motorhome I made it a small one in the bedroom to lighten up on the electricity use a little and also to make it cheaper to replace. I would run the little one at campgrounds that had minimal power so it would be the one burned out.

bumpy

stillthinking99

So Calif

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been dealing with this issue since 2006 when I bought my "30 amp" 2002 Fleetwood expedition. EMS and ECC are two different things. Intellitec's 30 amp ECC or Electronic Climate Control is a joke. I was in 105 degree weather and actually melted the 30 to 50 amp cord adapter trying to cool down the mh. Only one air works at a time on 30 amps and that will not cool a MH in 100 plus temps. EMS or Electronic management system controls the entire coach, ECC only controls the roof air. With 30 amps the ECC sheds or shuts down one AC while the other AC runs. The fan blows and fools you into thinking its running but you will soon see that it isn't. A whole other story is the ECC being confused by the Xantrex charger/inverter and failing to "ever" turn on the front AC. The Xantrex is over charging!

For your need to run two AC: I had a MH shop in Moorpark, CA install a Power Solutions adapter and a 50 amp cord to my MH. A dedicated 20 amp circuit now runs to the bedroom AC so they can both run at the same time.

garry1p

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I measured the following on my AC's.

1500 BTU front unit 11/13 amps the 13 amps was in full sun on high 90+ deg.

1300 BTU rear unit 9/11 amps same as above.

So if you are running two 1300's it should work fine unless both compressors kick on at the same time.

Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Changing 30amp to 50amp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts