RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Back up camera wire connection 5th wheel and truck.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Back up camera wire connection 5th wheel and truck.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
alageezer

seale, al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my entire kit from rearviewsafety, and it included that connect kit. While I have only used it once for a 30 mile test run, I am very pleased with it. I will use it to monitor the second trailer.

2011 Bounder Classic

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are getting me interested again now haha... I am still pulling my OFF-ROAD POPUP but Momabear is really wanting to get something with solid walls now for a change. Will definately do something similar to get some eyes behind the big ole trailer...

Its amazing how inexpensive all of this has gotten over the years...

I did look at the rearviewsafety site as well... I definately would be looking into the more premanent quick disconnect interconnect cables between the truck and trailer. I dont think I would just go plugging a male/female RCA plug extension cable together... In my case the systems installation gods would make it break loose just when I really needed it to work hehe...

These are the kinda of things I did for a living I guess back in my working days for Naval Electronics so being somewhat professional about doing things comes as second nature I guess....

The one I was looking at had the nice heavy duty enclosed weathertight quick disconnect with RCA plugs on both ends of it routed back inside the truck or trailer compartments. Then all you had to do was match up the RCA plugs on the trailer side to go to the cameras and the RCA plugs on the truck side to go to the active monitor setup. The quick disconnect being in the middle of this adapter cable near the trailer hitch area.

I am also very guilty of looking ahead somewhat for something else I might want to with something like this and try to plan for it as much as possible. Usually pays off big time for me in the end...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Rear View Safety connector. One note - it is the toughest connector I've ever used to plug & unplug. Other than that, it works well.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you went wireless couldn't you put the wireless transmitter near the front of the trailer then wire it to the camera at the rear. That would make the wireless distance between the truck screen/receiving unit and the transmitter on the trailer quite short.

Just a thought

Steve

Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

83trekker wrote:

cruz-in wrote:

www.rearviewsafety.com makes a nice kit to connect between 5th wheel and truck. I am very happy with how mine works.

Yup i think they have exactly what i want, and there service is awsome there.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/trailer-to........uick-connect-disconnect-kit-rvs-213.html

Seeing the light finally Much better method of cabling/connections than proposed in your other threads.

BTW -this is a DIN connector system.

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mapguy wrote:

83trekker wrote:

cruz-in wrote:

www.rearviewsafety.com makes a nice kit to connect between 5th wheel and truck. I am very happy with how mine works.

Yup i think they have exactly what i want, and there service is awsome there.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/trailer-to........uick-connect-disconnect-kit-rvs-213.html

Seeing the light finally Much better method of cabling/connections than proposed in your other threads.

BTW -this is a DIN connector system.

I know its DIN but they sell the RCA adpater for 5 bucks to match what ever i need.

83trekker

calgary,ab,canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the camera that mounts to license plate, but since my license plate is off to the side what whould be the best height to mount it?

Also should i put screws into the trailer wall, whats the best way do you think? I have the aluminum siding on my trailer.

aruba5er

Neenah Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 11:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ran my RCA cable from the camera(located just under the drip rail in the center of camper) all the way to the truck. Taped or tywraped the cable to the umbilacle cord and plug it into an rca plug. Then into the truck> One plug, nothing fancy. Never any trouble. Used Pyle camera and monitor. Plyeaudio.com

coyotebuster

michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i bought ours from Leviathan-holdings on E_Bay the 2 camera system with the trailer connector similar to the one Rear view safety uses, it just might be the same one. the truck connector i put in the bed of the truck alongside the lighting connector (i never cared plugging them in under the bumper)it all works good but don't expect stellar performance running down the road, i bought ours to monitor the second trailer behind our 5th wheel and it does good in that capacity. i also have the cameras mounted above the tail lights on the trailer i really wanted the view from my perspective and not 10 feet up

uterep

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i am running about 35' wireless with no problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Back up camera wire connection 5th wheel and truck.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS