RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is traveling itself stressful for pet? (dog w/ heartworms)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Is traveling itself stressful for pet? (dog w/ heartworms)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our three dogs has heartworms (i know, i know...an ounce of prevention...)...she's a level 2, and in first stage of treatment...

dog is on--get this--bedrest....no exercise whatsoever, for two months...spendin' her time in dog jail whilst the other two frolic

here's the question...would it be ok to take her RV'ing with us, assuming we didn't get her heartrate up? does traveling in and of itself cause stress? (we like to go RV'ing with the mongrels, but don't have to if it'll cause harm)

thanks for input

Glenn and Toni
2011 Palomino Puma 25BH
2012 Tundra double cab 4.6 V8 with tow package
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 01:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your best resource is your vet, but I'd say in general that it's going to depend on where you camp (higher altitude? hotter/colder than home? These things can load the system), what kind of activity the dog is doing, and what the dog's disposition is (excitable or easily stressed, nervous traveling... anything like that could be a problem).

If you go, be sure to bring your baby's regular food AND WATER in bottles from home, or buy bottled water. Don't give camp water or water stored in tanks, that can result in stomach upsets and that wouldn't be good at all. Some people don't bother and get away with it, but with a dog that you don't want stressed, it isn't worth the risk. I would also avoid streams/standing water that can carry giardia and such, for the same reason.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In terms of microbial growth there isn't much difference between water in the fresh water holding tank (as long as it has been maintained) and water bottles filled at home.

Bacterial water quality in the personal water bottles of elementary students

Mark

* This post was edited 02/23/12 03:41am by BCSnob *

Code2High

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eh... that's water bottles that people are drinking from, which is of course a route for bacteria to enter. And you know, children are just little disease vectors... A washed and filled jug should be cleaner. I guess the tanks are okay, if you are sure they're being sufficiently maintained, but again, it is something that people do have issues with.

Personally, I'd just go buy a couple of gallons of water. At about a dollar each, it's a cheap way to avoid any upsets related to water, especially in a dog that's got an issue affecting it's heart.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a second thought, separation anxiety might be more stressful for the dog than taking it along. Only you would know if the dog gets stressed when you are away. Again, just a thought to consider.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered a Thundershirt, or similar product? Our local groomer sells a product of this type like they are going out of style. She says everyone swears by them to remove anxiety from traveling, thunderstorms, or whatever causes your dog anxiety.

I guess it is kind of like a security blanket for dogs, only it is a vest. Just a thought.

And I am not talking about those goofy fashion outfits Pet Smart sells for chihuahuas.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

A washed and filled jug should be cleaner.
Filling bottles with fluid under sterile conditions (not allowing microbes into the bottle) is not possible at home. I wouldn't want readers to get the false sense of security that bringing refilled water jugs from home would prevent exposure to water borne bacteria that may be present in the RV fresh water tank. The local water taps are more likely to be free of bacteria than water in refilled containers (bottles, jugs, or storage tanks). If bacterial counts can increase 1000x after 1 week of storage of bottled water which were inadvertently bottled with very low levels of bacteria what will happen in water jugs refilled at home?

NRDC (see Figure 8)

Mark

Code2High

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay.... buy it! Works for me, that's what I always do. It really is a very small amount of money, for three dogs, to ensure that there are no water related upsets, and you don't want a dog on bedrest getting sick.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Code2High wrote:

Your best resource is your vet, but I'd say in general that it's going to depend on where you camp (higher altitude? hotter/colder than home? These things can load the system), what kind of activity the dog is doing, and what the dog's disposition is (excitable or easily stressed, nervous traveling... anything like that could be a problem).

If you go, be sure to bring your baby's regular food AND WATER in bottles from home, or buy bottled water. Don't give camp water or water stored in tanks, that can result in stomach upsets and that wouldn't be good at all. Some people don't bother and get away with it, but with a dog that you don't want stressed, it isn't worth the risk. I would also avoid streams/standing water that can carry giardia and such, for the same reason.

I agree with the bottled water, I always bring bottled water for my two dogs.

As far as food goes Inova was the best, but a few years ago I noticed problems with my dogs and discovered the company was sold so I switched to Blue Buffalo. I use a scale to measure (for each dog) 5 to 6 ounces of dry Blue Buffalo, 3 to 3.5 ounces of beef stew and to moisten it up 4 ounces of Campbell chunky soup (assorted flavors all with beef. If I buy a steak for myself I buy enough to cut up and share with my dogs. The important thing is high quality food and bring enough with you so you don’t have to switch brands on your trip

Dogs have different personalities some are afraid to get into a car and others love it. When I got my dogs I knew I would be making frequent trips between SC and NY so I got them used to the car the first day I got them and made a point of taking them wherever I go. The little girl loves to sit in the passenger seat and look out the window, and the little guy likes to lay down with his head on my lap.

I know that starting traveling with them as pups worked well but I am not sure how to deal with an older dog that may not be comfortable in a car. If my dog had a problem I would start out on frequent short trips. I would start out with a mile or less a few times a day.

Another thought about traveling with them. My dogs are spoiled and get more upset when I leave them home. Will your dog be more upset and stressed if left behind in some kind of dog hotel or will traveling stress them more?

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

HHfundays

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speeking from experience with my dog, he would be more stressed by not going. That being said I think I wouldn't take him to busy campgrounds or leave him. I would opt for more laid back camping. Btw. We always carry water from home and if we run out we buy bottled water. No reason to chance my boys health ... My opinion only

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Is traveling itself stressful for pet? (dog w/ heartworms)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS