RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: bad converter I think

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > bad converter I think

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
dcbrewer

kentucky

Senior Member

Joined: 01/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I let my batteries get dry and i think i burnt up the converter, is that possible??? I unpluged the converter from the 120 outlet in coach and pluged into a extension cord. It still will not light the lights any ideals?? or is it two new batteries and a new converter.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 10:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need to check converter DC output with a meter while it's plugged into an AC power source......extension cord Or Coach (with Coach plugged into shore power).

If you let the batteries go dry you need two new batteries.....


What converter/model number?

dcbrewer

kentucky

Senior Member

Joined: 01/17/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 10:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a WFCO converter, will check the output tomorrow. it took about 60 oz of water to fill batteries. I unhooked the batteries and with the converter pluged into a extension cord the lights try to come on but not enough power. this is a 06 Pace Arrow. is there something else that can cause this??

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

Senior Member

Joined: 03/15/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/22/12 11:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if your batteries are toast, then nothing 12 volt will work. put new batteries on board and things should start working. the 120V does not work the 12v lights when plugged in, it is the batteries that run the 12v lights

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 01:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you'll be ok with two new batteries. Another reason to stress the importance of maintenance...........Dennis


MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG


Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

Senior Member

Joined: 06/20/2009

View Profile



Posted: 02/22/12 11:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not positive but that converter may need the battery load to operate properly and with bad batteries you could have damaged the output board.

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

Senior Member

Joined: 11/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 02:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it possible the converter went bad and boiled the batteries dry. I checked mine the other day and the plates were exposed but not dry. I added 1/2 gal of water to 4 6v batteries. The batteries are working great. Used a hydrometer to check them and they were well into the green can't remember the exact gravity number. Went dry camping for a 3 day weekend without any issues.

If you have a 12v battery you know is good you could put a single battery in the coach connected to the converter to see if it start working. If it does not and you have to replace the converter I would do that first and then see if the old batteries will hold a charge. If it does start working, then battery replacement may be in order.

Another idea would be to use an external battery charger to see if the batteries will charge up.

I just hate to see anyone buy batteries if they don't have to, they are so expensive these days.


2006 Monaco Diplomat


Smittyy

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 03/20/2005

View Profile



Posted: 02/23/12 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most converters have a fused output so you would also want to check that you don't have a blown fuse.

Lobstah

Gulf Coast

Senior Member

Joined: 06/28/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 04:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had almost the exact situation in my Pace. Lost power while we were away from the coach and the batteries froze. Converter worked way too hard trying to charge something that couldn't be charged. It didn't die immediately...took another 3mos.
Replace the batteries first...then see if you're getting 13+ volts to them when plugged in or gennie running. If yes, it's still working. I replaced mine with a unit from Amazon...$160.

Jim


2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer
3 Maine Coon cats

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 05/09/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/23/12 03:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm confused. When you unplugged the converter you took away the converter's 110 volt power source. You then connected an extension cord. Do you mean that you now plugged the converter directly into an extension cord? The converter in my rig has that different type plug that won't plug into a conventional extension cord.

If the batteries are truly toast and there was also a shorted cell, then the converter was working full out trying to charge something that refused to be charged. So, as a general proposition, that was not good for the converter, but there is still a chance it might be okay.

A motorhome is probably different than my fiver. In my trailer the converter runs everything on 12 volts in the rig 24/7 when connected to shore power. When connected to shore power, the battery only provides backup in case of a power failure. To me the dim lights are a potential bad sign, like maybe the converter is only putting out a few volts.

Checking the output of the converter is easy. I think it should be somewhere around 13.6 volts.

When my converter died we were on the road and my truck fully recharged the trailer's battery each day. It was not until we were off the road that the converter problem became apparent as the lights slowly got dimmer and dimmer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

 > bad converter I think
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS