|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> bad converter I think

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to every one. Will check everything today, just needed a place to start. I have a 6 volt charger will start there and also check the output on the converter. And most of all be ready to get the check book out!!!

Southwind98

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do need to replace the converter I highly recommend best converter http://www.bestconverter.com/ They were recommended from many others on this forum. I was very happy with my dealing and purchase from them. I purchased the Power Max Boondocker 75 amp

Will & Michelle
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1990 Jeep Wrangler

dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I checked it out, the converter is putting out .92 volts. Will pull it out later on today and get one ordered. Why do they put these things in places you can't get to?? And also, put the batteries on charge, they may be alright, will know later.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,Rosemary, Sandy wrote:

I'm confused. When you unplugged the converter you took away the converter's 110 volt power source. You then connected an extension cord. Do you mean that you now plugged the converter directly into an extension cord? The converter in my rig has that different type plug that won't plug into a conventional extension cord.

If the batteries are truly toast and there was also a shorted cell, then the converter was working full out trying to charge something that refused to be charged. So, as a general proposition, that was not good for the converter, but there is still a chance it might be okay.

A motorhome is probably different than my fiver. In my trailer the converter runs everything on 12 volts in the rig 24/7 when connected to shore power. When connected to shore power, the battery only provides backup in case of a power failure. To me the dim lights are a potential bad sign, like maybe the converter is only putting out a few volts.

Checking the output of the converter is easy. I think it should be somewhere around 13.6 volts.

When my converter died we were on the road and my truck fully recharged the trailer's battery each day. It was not until we were off the road that the converter problem became apparent as the lights slowly got dimmer and dimmer.

You are wrong.the converter is run by 120V which goes through to convert to 12V.This 12v goes to the batterys and its the batterys that supply your trailer lites etc with 12V.

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For future reference : By the manual WFCO converter with the battery disconnected should show 13.6 volts DC (+-0.2 volts)which is a range of 13.4 to 13.8 volts.

Bonefish

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it POSSIBLE you burned up your converter: YES.

Is it likely you burned up your converter: NO

Is it possible that there are a pair of blown fuses on the converter: YES.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked the fuses on the end of converter, both are good. Pluged in with cables unhooked .92 volts, about as dead as it gets. What I learned is don't plug it in and leave it. I will unhook the grounds from now on and use battery minders, like I use on the other toys. Am looking at ordering the PM3B-75, Boondocker, for 199.00 that sound about right. The one in there is discontinued. Thank's a bunch, H.B.

Southwind98

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At first I was going to go with the Progressive Dynamics 9270, which was recommended by alot of posters. But when I called to order they were temporary out of stock and they recommended the Power Max boondocker 75 amp. They gave it a high rating and stated they haven't had one returned with a problem yet. I did some research on it and decided that was the way to. Glad I did. Unit seems well made with heavy duty fan, but quiet.

* This post was edited 02/23/12 12:54pm by Southwind98 *

dcbrewer

kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should the lights work with shore power, without the batteries hooked up, by running off of converter??

Southwind98

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe lights would operate off converter while plugged into shore power. I wouldn't do it personally. You would have to be concern with battery terminals not coming in contact with anything metal and I believe the battery also acts as a filter for alot of sensitive items. Here is a link discussing the Power Max Boondocker > Project: Converter Swap–WFCO9835/PowerMax Boondocker PM3B-45 I would also call and talk to Randy at best converter if you decide to go that route.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> bad converter I think
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS