RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: fridge inverter shuts off?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fridge inverter shuts off?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
smokin joe 1

Bay Area, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 11:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a used Monaco 2009 Camelot. It has a residential fridge in it with a dedicated 1000 watt inverter and 4 tall 6v batteries. After a couple hours of running the inverter shuts down and the red fault light comes on (the house batteries are still charged). I hit the on button on the inverter and the fridge starts up again. Why does the inverter shut down after a couple hours?

09 Monaco Camelot 42 KFQ

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be any number of things, such as the inverter overheating and the fan not working.

There might be a code list - depending on the manufacture.

Once shut off, the code may be removed from the computer's memory. I would contact the manufacture, and see if they will offer any support.

Fred.

MNtundraRet

Bloomington, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smokin joe 1 wrote:

I just bought a used Monaco 2009 Camelot. It has a residential fridge in it with a dedicated 1000 watt inverter and 4 tall 6v batteries. After a couple hours of running the inverter shuts down and the red fault light comes on (the house batteries are still charged). I hit the on button on the inverter and the fridge starts up again. Why does the inverter shut down after a couple hours?

Have you actually confirmed that the batteries have a good charge?

Check the voltage of the batteries with a multimeter at the battery-terminals. The MH should not be connected to shore-power, or have the generator running for about 6 hours. Otherwise; place a load on them for a few minutes before checking.

What voltage did you get this way? A reading of 11.5 volts or less under load may set it off.

Your inverter indicates low voltage warning. Can be low batteries, a bad connection on battery-cables, at a solenoid, batteries, grounds, at refrigerator, or an inverter problem.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the fridge possibly going into an auto-defrost mode? It may be overloading the inverter. Just a thought...

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smokin joe 1 wrote:

Monaco NEVER installed low wattage Inverter's. Do you have 2 Inverters??? The smallest Monaco ever installed in a Camelot was a 2500 watt Inverter. I think the previous owner replaced the Inverter OR replaced the refer with the residential and added an extra Inverter? Which is NOT needed as the standard 2500 watt has MORE than ample power to run the refer. Give me your VIN or Monaco serial number and I can look up your build sheet to tell you what Inverter and Refer was factory installed. Doug

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd check at what voltage your inverter is set to shut itself off at. If at 12.0 or above I'd change it to 11.8.

* This post was edited 02/23/12 11:35am by an administrator/moderator *

smokin joe 1

Bay Area, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Doug,
I have two inverters. a 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a 1000 Watt Inverter with the Res. Fridge. I have the original window sticker that indicates that.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

anything else using either inverter for power
like the water heater?
bay heaters to keep tanks from freezing?

* This post was edited 02/23/12 07:37pm by MrWizard *

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

smokin joe 1 wrote:

Hi Doug,
I have two inverters. a 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a 1000 Watt Inverter with the Res. Fridge. I have the original window sticker that indicates that.

1. Monaco only shows the 2000 watt Magnum Inverter for your year Camelot. We WERE a Monaco dealer until they went under and I had never seen 2 inverters in a Monaco with the residential refer.
2. Original Window Sticker???? Those can be dummied up by anyone with a Computer
3. That is why I asked for your VIN or the Monaco serial number as I can look up your specific unit and the OEM equipment.
4. It makes NO sense to install a 1000 watt Inverter AND a 2000 or higher Inverter when residential refers barely pull more than 500 watts. Doug

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My vote is also for low voltage due to batteries. I recently helped somebody with this. A bad battery. Replaced just the one bad battery and all is well. It would take a while to show up, usually over night. battery failed load test.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> fridge inverter shuts off?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS