RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Cummins question for a potential purchase

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins question for a potential purchase

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jamboree89

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Contact Cummins at http://www.cummins.com/cmi/navigationAction.do?nodeId=1005&siteId=1&nodeName=Customer+Assistance&menuId=1005
Give them the engine serial number and get the answers you need.

1998 Monaco Dynasty
Scion Xb
Collin and Alfie the dogs

Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, the 8.3 or later version ISC will be 300 to 350 HP. Yes, in a marine application upwards of 500 HP may be possible, thats the advantage of have water to cool the coolant. But in a motor home or highway application? No.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

isc 8.3 mechanical specs

Advertised hp @ rpm 240-330

Peak Torquelb-ft @ rpm 660-950 @1300

GovernedSpeed 2200-2600

Wheels_78

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wondered about the high power, and if it was possible due to extra cooling in the marine application.

Thanks for the advice folks, there's been some valid concerns raised. I'm not going to eliminate it without some further thought, but I'm definately a lot less enthusiastic.

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What comes to my mind is that the info from the seller is sketchy at best. Could the 540 refer to the transmission? Isn't there a four speed Allison by that number? I agree that an engine and transmission swap is asking for interface issues but this one might have worked and the issues resolved. I would look a little further into the history of the engine and trans. How old are they and how many total miles on them. There could have been a whole lot of miles on them before the engine and trans were removed from the box van. BTW a box van is a truck with a cargo area that looks like a box.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Swapping out the 8.2 Detroit for an engine such as the C series Cummins is not uncommon from what I have heard, since that Detroit model has such a terrible reputation. Like others have said, though, the devil is in the details, if the swap was done correctly there should be few if any issues related to it, but it could be a nightmare if the swap was a hack job.

cquinn5

Titusville FL US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually there is an 8.3 L C series Cummins in the 500+ HP range.
500+ HP Cummins
It is called
QSC 8.3 for marine.

Cliff

Cliff & Karen Quinn
The Great Outdoors

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cquinn5 wrote:

Actually there is an 8.3 L C series Cummins in the 500+ HP range.
500+ HP Cummins
It is called
QSC 8.3 for marine.

Cliff

And it came out of a box truck.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Wheels_78

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's become clear that the seller doesn't really know what he's got, personally I'm thinking he might be confusing 540lb*ft with 540hp. He gave me the engine and transmission S/N, it turns out the tranny is an MT643 wich certainly wouldn't live behind 540hp very long. I submitted the engine number to cummins but have not heard back. I actually wouldn't be surprised to find out it's a 5.9, not an 8.3 because he says he's been getting 9-11 mpg.

Thing is, just because the seller doesn't know exaclty what went on, you can't conclude it was poorly done. It's all been email and photos thus far, next week we'll travel into the area to view this and another coach and hopefully we'll be able to get a sense of things.

I'll say this, the coach is absolutely as far as I could stretch financially, and there's good reason to be cautious, but it looks IMMACULATE in the photos.

Wheels_78

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 10:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pics

There are pics of the coach and things during the swap if anyone here can tell the difference between the two cummins visually.

It turns out it's seen only 5-10000 miles since the swap on 2003, and as I said earlier the motor and transmission are supposed to have 35000 on them in total while the coach has 75000.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Cummins question for a potential purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS