|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Weatherproof Cover, Tyvek or Poly

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Ebbanflood

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am going to buy a weatherproof cover for my 23' class C . I was thinking of the Tyvek cover from camping world. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on pros and cons for full covers. Also an issue is that my cab is an F-350 and the covers are all made for E-350's, but the overall length measurement should still work. I recently sold my 1996 Coachman Catalina. I think that if I had kept it covered I would have gotten a few more years out of it.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You could read posts forever if you search this Forum for `rv cover'. I don't like the `envelope' covers because I think they trap moisture BUT I could be wrong; just ask my Wife! I use a Sunshield tarp over the top and part of the sides.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two bikes (both Electric Schwinn's with motor assist)

CrazyTed

Hoollieville #214

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've only had bad experiences with covers and won't buy them again. Scratches on the coach especially on the corners and edges. They rip too easy in the weather, etc. Next time we move, we'll put up some sort of permanent shelter to park under.

CrazyTed
www.CrazyTed.us
Va Bch, VA
2010 Husaberg FX450
2008 Triumph Rocket III
2005 Chevy 2500HD 4X4
2008 CrossRoads CrossTerrain TF36DS (Sold)
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS

DaCrema

Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just subscribed to the thread, thanks to the OP.
Additionally I would like to know if anyone using either type of cover outdoors for a long period of time has noticed paint issues from dirt blowing up under the covers.
John

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I researched to the ends of the earth on this.

Sumbrella might be the best (debatable) but the cost is OUTRAGEOUS.

Tyvek material is great for clean room operations (I sell Tyvek coveralls in my business) and the material is light in weight, but not great for longterm outdoor use.

That brings me to what I settled on a cover Constructed of 300 denier filament polyester WOVEN yarns (not a "Plied" polyester fabric).

I purchased from RV Covers Direct they are part of Covers direct corp. (google for more information). The cover is Manufactured by Carver Industries in Landrum, SC. Carver is Highly respected for their Boat cover / Bimini Tops. I am very impressed with the quality of the fabric and the workmanship (sewing, zippers, tie downs etc.).

My Motorhome MEASURES 24'11" and I ordered the 24 - 26 foot cover and there lies the problem....these are NOT CUSTOM FIT, they are "Styled-to-Fit" RV Covers. The one I purchased just does not fit it is WAY to large, I tried for several hours to get it to fit / tighten down. but just could not get it right.

I contacted RV Covers Direct (where I purchased) and they were very polite and tried to help but the end result is they said based on my efforts the 24 - 26 cover will not work and they do not have another cover that would fit any better.

Without even asking they gave me a Return authorization (RA#) for full credit (except for shipping, which I totally expected). The cover is in transit back now.

I'm trying to decide if I should take a chance on the next size down (22 - 24 ft) to see if it would fit to my liking.

As a side note on the Sumbrella material and a "Custom" fit from a local canvas shop that does tops / covers for the marine / boating industry in South Florida, I was quoted just over $ 1,500.00 yes OUTRAGEOUS.

The Carver was 1/3 the cost.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ADCO will make a custom cover with doors where ever you need them. Be prepared to provide detailed dimensions though.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my first class c I purchased the lower priced Adco cover and then bought a heavy duty tarp at Harbor Freight for $50.00 (because those covers are not very waterproof). The tarp was 20 x 30 and went on a 22ft. It covered about half way down on the RV. The Adco cover was pretty loose in front but I was able to cinch it pretty tight. This worked great! It was a pita putting it on (especially in 10-20mph wind!!). The only bad was that the silver tarp rubbed on the rv in a few spots and left faint gray marks in some areas.

For our new RV I bought the more expensive Adco Tyvek Cover. I love it and it is worth the money(I think). Its only a couple months old though. So we'll see how it holds up.

I am a cover believer and I think it's one of the most important things you can do for your RV, IMO. If you are worried about tearing it, buy the extended warranty at Camping World. If it tears they will replace it for free! I didn't get the warranty so hope mine holds up. It seems like you could cinch it tight on any type of vehicle.

2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westphalia (water cooled)

Ebbanflood

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the info, it is greatly appreciated.

Peterrrrr

Ottawa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am north of you here in Ottawa Canada, and I cover mine every winter with an ADCO Tyvek. The cover is soft, breathable and has accessible zippered entry points . The cover is on its third Canadian Winter. The last two years I have not noticed any rubbing/chaffing spots. It was a good fit and very easy to put on from the roof. I keep my RV well waxed and the cover does keep the pine tar off the motorhome. I do find dust and pine needles on the hood under the overhang. Snow does collect on the roof and the melting to ice, the ice sticks to the cover on the roof, so if you plan on using your RV in the winter you would have a problem taking it off.

tekrsq

Central Va.

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holiday27 wrote:

For my first class c I purchased the lower priced Adco cover and then bought a heavy duty tarp at Harbor Freight for $50.00 (because those covers are not very waterproof). The tarp was 20 x 30 and went on a 22ft. It covered about half way down on the RV. The Adco cover was pretty loose in front but I was able to cinch it pretty tight. This worked great! It was a pita putting it on (especially in 10-20mph wind!!). The only bad was that the silver tarp rubbed on the rv in a few spots and left faint gray marks in some areas.

For our new RV I bought the more expensive Adco Tyvek Cover. I love it and it is worth the money(I think). Its only a couple months old though. So we'll see how it holds up.

I am a cover believer and I think it's one of the most important things you can do for your RV, IMO. If you are worried about tearing it, buy the extended warranty at Camping World. If it tears they will replace it for free! I didn't get the warranty so hope mine holds up. It seems like you could cinch it tight on any type of vehicle.

I also use the 20' x 30' silver tarp (but mine is from Northern Tool). It does leave a few scuff marks along the top edges, but my coach is older, and luckily not in "pristine" condition. I only use it when stored for the winter, and I keep it very taught with many bungee cords. It's not pretty by any means, but it works, and it's affordable.

1987 Coachmen 27'/ Ford E-350, 460 cid with Headman headers, and dual Flowmasters

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Weatherproof Cover, Tyvek or Poly
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS