|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> how important limit lenght 30ft for camping options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
TraAce1

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking for a C class motor home and trying to find what we want as well as staying at or under 30 feet for length. Seems at some point I read somewhere if you go over 30 feet you can really limit where you can camp as lots of places limit at 30 feet.

We are hoping to find a gently used/ not too old unit with a bunkhouse so our girls each have their own designated sleeping spot with out daily tear down and set up. Of the few units we have found they are anywhere from 31-35 feet, how much of a difference is that 31-15 feet, will it keep us out of campgrounds/areas? Does it change handling that much?

We have a trailer now and have rented a 30ft C class a few times.

Tracy

JoeGood988

S.Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been full timing and traveling for 6 years with a 36' RV and never had an issue with length. Unless you're planning on very remote state parks or areas located deep in the mountains/hills, you should never have an issue with 30' or more. I've seen more issues with the 40'-45' units trying to park and manuever in areas.

2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the good laugh as having started with a 36' DP because of BS like this buy more MH than you think you need ONE TIME. Sure a spot for a 42' is harder, but not impossible and we stay at mainly public CGs like SP, USFS, BLM, NP. 30' being too long... now that's funny even if you are into dispersed camping off dirt roads.
Tracy, buy what you need for your family and stop worrying about the length.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeGood988 wrote:

We've been full timing and traveling for 6 years with a 36' RV and never had an issue with length. Unless you're planning on very remote state parks or areas located deep in the mountains/hills, you should never have an issue with 30' or more. I've seen more issues with the 40'-45' units trying to park and manuever in areas.

Agree we have tried to stay in the 35-36 ft area never heard of concerns in the 30 ft area - somebody gave you bad information

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
183 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a family, a larger MH is probably best. Does it limit your camping options? In my humble opinion absoulty yes. Especialy if you tend to be a traveler type, who tends, not to make reservations. Many times I have put our little 24 in one of the last spots, and watched the big boys circle and leave as they could not get a spot.
that was large enough. For them
Many of these CG's were built in the 50's and 60's and at that time the average pad site was about 26 ft

Eveything is a trade off and I for one would not want 4 or 5 people in our rig,
But to say larger does not limit your options is in my opinion not true.

Of course for maxium options a tent would be best!!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

29 feet will also limit where you can camp (if you want to camp at a place with 28 foot length limits). 30 feet is no different except it takes one extra foot.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"arriving late in the afternoon with no res, can be an issue" or on a Friday afternoon. What I've found works best for us is to arrive in a new boondocking area Sunday afternoon or Monday and use it as our base camp for five days. We then usually leave it on Friday spending one day to travel to next area and one day in a private CG to resupply. This lets the locals use there area on the weekend when sites are at a premium.
Having a unit that meets your needs is more important than the little bit of problems a larger unit creates in finding a site, especially in something that is less than 36'.

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

.....Having a unit that meets your needs is more important than the little bit of problems a larger unit creates in finding a site, especially in something that is less than 36'.

When we were making the determination on what fit our needs, one of those needs was where we could go. My 26-foot 5er can go to MORE places than a 30-footer, but to not as many places as a 20-footer.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

Frosty's Mom

Treasure Valley, SW Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ours is a 30'er and have tried more than once to go into a park with limited larger sites. manuevering the first challenge and squeezing in oversized can create other problems (such as grade). we just started observing parks with stated 30' limits and stopped going to parks with smaller sized sites.

wee3-gin, clyde & the bichon frise
2002 Forest River Windsong-34' Class A
1996 Geo Tracker-4WD
2003 Minnie Winnie 30V - "The Frosty Hauler"
May the Angels guide your wheels and ride on your shoulder.

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think, I said my last post rather poorly, I don't think it limits where you can camp, But sure does limit tne number or campsites available to you in any given campround. The larger you go, the number of sites you will fit in goes down. Which if you tend to be traveler type, arriving late in the afternoon with no res, can be an issue.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> how important limit lenght 30ft for camping options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS