|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> how important limit lenght 30ft for camping options

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
knobhill24

Upper Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found out with my smaller Motorhome they always put in there small spaces and left there nicer spots for the bigger units

rfryer

Phoenix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has been said, the bigger you are the fewer places you can fit. I’m going to assume, maybe incorrectly, that with a Class C in the 30’ area you’re an “RVer” and for the most part will want hookups in well developed sites. Commercial parks should pose no problem even with a 35. 30’ will fit in most state parks I’m familiar with but you may find restrictions if you go bigger. You’ll be able to get in some campgrounds in national parks, but many will be off limits. And most will be dry camping without hookups.

If you were a “camper” and wanted to get off the pavement, say in national forests, I’d say you need to stay way below 30’. Not saying you couldn’t stay there, but you’d have to stay close to the pavement in an area with a lot of maneuvering room. Driving down a dirt road would be inadvisable unless one had scouted it out and was sure they had room to get in or turn around if they couldn’t. But again, hookups are not common in those places.

So in short, 30’ plus should work fine in commercial parks and I‘d stay at 30’ for the state parks. Public land, like national forest campgrounds, wouldn’t be a good option for the most part but you may get in some.

teetah

Moses Lake, WA, US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rfryer wrote:

As has been said, the bigger you are the fewer places you can fit. I’m going to assume, maybe incorrectly, that with a Class C in the 30’ area you’re an “RVer” and for the most part will want hookups in well developed sites. Commercial parks should pose no problem even with a 35. 30’ will fit in most state parks I’m familiar with but you may find restrictions if you go bigger. You’ll be able to get in some campgrounds in national parks, but many will be off limits. And most will be dry camping without hookups.

If you were a “camper” and wanted to get off the pavement, say in national forests, I’d say you need to stay way below 30’. Not saying you couldn’t stay there, but you’d have to stay close to the pavement in an area with a lot of maneuvering room. Driving down a dirt road would be inadvisable unless one had scouted it out and was sure they had room to get in or turn around if they couldn’t. But again, hookups are not common in those places.

So in short, 30’ plus should work fine in commercial parks and I‘d stay at 30’ for the state parks. Public land, like national forest campgrounds, wouldn’t be a good option for the most part but you may get in some.
couldn'tt agree more national forest camps are usually pretty tight on space to maneuver a bigger rig.

1988 Class C Minnie Winnie acquired in April 2011
NEW TOAD!! 2014 Ford Focus (ok, it's not set up yet, but it will be)
Just runnin' footloose and fancy free

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tothill wrote:

We bought a 27' with twin beds in the back 5 years ago. Now the kids are 13 and 16 and I am really glad to have those twin beds for them.

The adults sleep on the over cab and we do not have to make up the dinette, unless they have a friend along.

I love the size of our C for our family and the camping we do, both in Provincial Parks and full hook up resorts. We are both comfortable driving Mobi (the name of our C) in cities and can park in two stalls on the street or in a parking lot.

We have travelled with another adult (grandma) and she had one of the twin beds with DD and DS slept on the dinette. 5 adult sized people is enough in 27 feet.

We have 5 in a 24' this week end, it's too many, but we are getting by.

Dusty

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 27' with twin beds in the back 5 years ago. Now the kids are 13 and 16 and I am really glad to have those twin beds for them.

The adults sleep on the over cab and we do not have to make up the dinette, unless they have a friend along.

I love the size of our C for our family and the camping we do, both in Provincial Parks and full hook up resorts. We are both comfortable driving Mobi (the name of our C) in cities and can park in two stalls on the street or in a parking lot.

We have travelled with another adult (grandma) and she had one of the twin beds with DD and DS slept on the dinette. 5 adult sized people is enough in 27 feet.

HHfundays

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 10:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 31ft and really haven't had any problems. We still fit across 2 parking spaces when we aren't towing. We can get into almost any campground. Some of the state and national campgrounds are more tricky as they were build long ago and some limit you to 28ft. We however love the layout of our rv and to us that was the most important. Only once were we turned away from a state campground in New England because the max the took was 28ft. Get the rv that fits your family best and then go enjoying!

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 05:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

teetah wrote:

rfryer wrote:

couldn'tt agree more national forest camps are usually pretty tight on space to maneuver a bigger rig.

A few years back we got the last site in a Forest Service campground. I had to jog back and forth to get a 21 foot RV in. The site would take nothing bigger than a pickup camper or short C. I have been in many other sites that will not accommodate big rigs. One reason we kept the size down is to provide maximum flexibility. Part of that decision process was helped by an owner of the 30 foot RV.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Old Man of the Mountain

Southwestern New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have no problem at most campgrounds. We stopped at one with our 31-32 foot class C and was told the only site left was for maximum 30 footer. Did I think I could manage. After I backed in and got out I had over 8 feet of room left! Sometimes (more often than not) CG owners give smaller estimates than the site can tolerate. We have camped in 38 States and never had a problem.

Old Man of the Mountain
"The Old Man has fallen and can't get up"

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have never had a problem getting into a site or CG with our 30' Class C, but I have heard that Ca. has quite a few SP's with smaller sizes, (unless those are the ones that they closed).
I have seen a few here with shorter size restrictions in certain loops of a CG, but have also seen 40 footers in a different loop of the same CG.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2005 KIA Spectra
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you know where you will be camping, area wise go to the web and do a 'survey says'. How many of the sites are shorter than 30'?

If you plan on doing the NPs circuit or a lot of Mountain Camping, do a survey on sites and size 'limitations'. in some NPs. There aren't many for size and most that I've seen do have 'Tour Buses' available.

Some of the places I used to Camp are now out of bounds because of ground clearance as well. I'm at 28'.

It's all a balance, that's dependent on Your usage.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> how important limit lenght 30ft for camping options
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts